I Need Blood Red.

Surf Monkey

I've been looking for just the right blood red. Not too much blue, not too bright red. Currently I'm using Noodler's Red/Black but it's really more brown than red. I've been reading the various red ink reviews on the forum, but I'm not coming to any firm conclusions so I thought I'd open up a discussion of the best "dried blood" looking reds out there. I guess I'm looking for a blackish ink that has strong red overtones but doesn't muddy up to brown.

If this is covered elsewhere feel free to link me to the relevant thread. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Surf Monkey

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Surf Monkey

• JefferyS

• JonSzanto

• lapis

I've been looking for just the right blood red. Not too much blue, not too bright red. Currently I'm using Noodler's Red/Black but it's really more brown than red. I've been reading the various red ink reviews on the forum, but I'm not coming to any firm conclusions so I thought I'd open up a discussion of the best "dried blood" looking reds out there. I guess I'm looking for a blackish ink that has strong red overtones but doesn't muddy up to brown.

If this is covered elsewhere feel free to link me to the relevant thread. Thanks in advance!

Diamine Oxblood isn't too red or blue, and it is one of my favorites. Think of it as looking like the drying blood on the end of a blunt object such as a fireplace poker.

Even if it isn't the bloody color you are looking for, you will like it.

Edited by Jeffery Smith

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Widow Maker? Tiananmen? both by Noodler's?

Seem that colour to me, but check the reviews to make sure.

Plus the labels make great conversation pieces at home and the office.

Edited by torstar

Diamine Oxblood.

Thirded. Closest I've seen to a dark, clotting blood color. Just enough brown to show oxidization.

I use it at work all the time. :)

Edited by Northwoods

When this has come up in the past the front runners were both Noodlers: Antietam and Tiananmen.

I haven't tried Antietam but personally I'd say Tiananmen over Oxblood.

Edited because I read the whole first post (got to stop jumping in) - Oxblood over Tiananmen.

Edited by carlc

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

Judging by the various reviews and swabs I've seen it appears to me that Tiananmen is brighter than what I'm looking for. Widow Maker and Oxblood seem closer to that deep deep red that I'm searching for.

Reds are highly problematic across the whole spectrum of design IMO. I'm a commercial artist and I've found over the years that no color is more subjective. Just the slightest hint of blue changes the entire character of red and mixing with black is even more problematic as it's extremely easy to end up with mud brown.

Thanks for the input so far. I'm thinking I'll grab some Oxblood simply because I've yet to use any Diamine ink and then also probably grab whatever emerges as the consensus here, assuming it's something other than Oxblood.

I haven't tried many reds but Herbin 1670 (aka Rouge Hematite) is a pretty good blood red. Just remember to shake the bottle before use. Otherwise you get a reddish orange in place of a blood red.

Pricey and in limited supply but it looks stunning on creme or beige cards and papers

Diamine Monaco, looks like Ether's cut knee

Don't get me wrong, I use Monaco all the time, but it isn't very saturated and is rather brownish/maroon in my pens. That may be what the OP wants though.

Have a look at Diamine Rustic Brown - it shows more red than Noodler's red/black.

+1 Oxblood. Diamine Red Dragon pops pretty well while still being dark, too.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Diamine Oxblood.

+1 without a doubt. Amazing color.

In my current rotation:

Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise/14K Fine/J. Herbin Cafe des Iles

Lamy 2000/14K Medium/Lamy Blue-Black

Sailor 1911 Large burgundy/21K Naginata Togi Medium/Diamine Oxblood

Montblanc 146/14K Fine/Montblanc Racing Green

Rosetta blue/Steel Pendelton cursive italic/Pelikan Royal Blue

Delta Passion/18K Broad/Diamine Syrah

Current favorite "blood red" is a toss up between Noodler's Nakita or Diamine Red Dragon

Herbin's 1670 is an awesome color, but a tad on the orange side for "blood red", the sparkles are nice though!

It's all a matter of 1/3, pen, 1/3 paper, 1/3 ink or something like that... and personal preference. You could bleed a bit and use a dip pen, but I think that tends to be very brownish when dried....

Edited by 79spitfire

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

Another vote for Oxblood. If that is just a bit too brown for you, try Diamine Red Dragon.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Have a look at Diamine Rustic Brown - it shows more red than Noodler's red/black.

Yeah, that's the central problem with Noodler's Red/Black for me. It's way too brown.

Hey Surf - do what a lot of people do: take a list from these recommendations and order up some sample vials from one of the vendors that do ink samples. NOTHING tells you more than trying the ink out in your pens, your paper. Everything else is just suggestions. Cheap, and a great way to confirm what works for you!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Hey Surf - do what a lot of people do: take a list from these recommendations and order up some sample vials from one of the vendors that do ink samples. NOTHING tells you more than trying the ink out in your pens, your paper. Everything else is just suggestions. Cheap, and a great way to confirm what works for you!

Excellent advice. Because of my career I'm keenly aware that you can never get a good read on how an ink looks from images on the Web. Too many variables involved.