The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sharpie

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2011 - 17:40

Ugh. All i can say is that it serves a purpose. I'm using it primarily to draw on my wood blocks used for printmaking. I have one of those Sharpie clicky pens but I hate the size and shape of it, so while I was out at Office Depot yesterday buying HP 32lb and a cheap Pentel 0.7 pencil, I saw these guys. I think the tapering ends is what grabbed my attention first.

Posted Image

It's really WAY too light for me. I wish it were heavier so I wouldn't be so tempted to push down on the tip. It's almost like there's nothing in my hand and it's annoying.

faucet drawing in my Mead cream colored paper journal....
Posted Image

It fits my hand nearly perfectly. The taper of the barrel end and section feel so nice, and I don't see how it could be made any more comfortable to hold except by making it HEAVIER!

Posted Image

The tip.
This is what I hate about all markers and marker pens - at least all the ones that I've used - the tips are scratchy and rough. At best they're only semi-rough. I hate em. But it serves a purpose. I'd use my fountain pens on the wood blocks but I don't want to tear my nibs up on the wood. I might end up getting something decent but cheap with some Noodler's X-Feather or something that will work on wood so I don't have to bother with stupid Sharpies anymore.

Here's a drawing on my current block. These are two of my block carving tools, drawn in pencil, detailed in Sharpie pen, then colored over with a giant red Sharpie to provide contrast. Doing this allows me to easily see where I've made cuts and how things are looking. Look in the lower left corner to see this...
Posted Image

When drawing, it almost feels like I'm scratching at the paper rather than drawing on it, but that's how all these fiber tips feel to me. On wood it doesn't matter so much b/c the wood is already pretty rough. Fountain pens have spoiled me.

Posted Image

Ink.
Ugh. I have been so spoiled by the wide array of FP inks out there. This stuff is awful and only passes as black if you call gray black.. Also wish the pen wrote a lot wetter. It's so awfully dry for my purposes. Here it only JUST serves a purpose.

Non-refillable as far as I can tell. Throw it away when you're done. Too bad it's $10 for three of them. I hate disposable pens. I'd rather refill than toss..

But like I said... it serves a purpose.

Edited by watch_art, 15 June 2011 - 17:42.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

Sponsored Content

#2 opus7600

opus7600

Neophiliac

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 18:26

Dude, just go to jetpens and buy one of the preppy felt tip pens. Add silicone grease, an o-ring, and some x-feather, and you're good to go. There are replacement tips available for when you shred the first one on the wood.

#3 KrazyIvan

KrazyIvan

Fountain Pen Sith Lord

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2011 - 23:45

The stainless sharpie is refillable.

#4 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2011 - 23:58

but it's a fat tip. I don't want the fat tip.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#5 Koyote

Koyote

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,320 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:05

The Sharpie is great for what it is: a pen for labelling packages and Tyvek mailing envelopes. And, back before digital, I always carried one for marking developing instructions on a film canister.

#6 Chthulhu

Chthulhu

Rawr.

• Member - Gold

• 2,472 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:20

I sent an inquiry shortly after the SS Sharpie launched, asking whether there would be other refills produced for it. Never got a reply.
Mike Hungerford
http://goo.gl/dUVnUZ

#7 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• 1,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:21

I really enjoy my Sharpies.. I probably have around 100 of them, including the Sharpie Pens, Sharpie Minis, Accent Highlighters, etc. :ph34r:

Edited by ThirdeYe, 17 June 2011 - 04:22.

Derek's Pens and Pencils
I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

Sponsored Content

|