Pentel Sharp Kerry

watch_art

I've had my 0.5mm for almost 30 years and it's still going strong. If you like this design but would prefer something a little larger and heavier there's also the rare and elusive Tombow Zoom 505sh.

Pix!

post-80437-0-01698800-1351717679.jpg

A vintage Pentel 0.5mm Sharp Kerry with the Tombow Zoom 505sh capped on 5mm graph paper...

post-80437-0-69326700-1351717733.jpg

...and uncapped.

post-80437-0-87862000-1351717825.jpg

And with its roller ball and fountain pen siblings.

The fountain pen is excellent, one of my favourites, difficult to find and as far as I know Tombow USA has never imported them. The pencil and rollerball are available in several metallic colours apart from the silvery brushed aluminum and the roller is also offered in several tortoise lacquer finishes with black trim. Pentel used to offer an Excalibur roller ball in a trim very similar to the Sharp Kerry but the roller refill, which included the section, really wasn't very good. I've always like the design of the Sharp Kerry and wished it was available in fountain pen and ballpoint versions.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TMLee

• watch_art

• jniforat

• 1nkulus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love the look and style of the Kelly pencil, very elegant looking. My is in its case safely stacked away in a bin. Unfortunately, I don't use pencils much now a days. Perhaps I should bring it out to meet my fountains :)

Nice review. This is my new favourite mechanical pencil! Mine is pink. Initially I wanted the red one, then switched to blue, then switched to olive green, and lastly I took the pink one. All colors are nice, it's that hard to decide which one I want.

I wish I had it earlier so that I could use it during my school days. Oh, well. I can still enjoy using it at work.

Jules

I've had my 0.5mm for almost 30 years and it's still going strong.

+1

http://episodefive.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/pentelkerry.jpg?w=590&h=442

I bought mine in... the '80s... '70s? When did they start making these things? Anyway at the time the only option was 0.5, and black. Hard to believe it's been with me through college and several jobs over the decades, never lost, stolen, or damaged. The new ones look just like the old ones, nice to know a back up is available just in case. :thumbup:

Qui me amat, amat et canem meum

• 1 month later...

I can attest to the durability of these pencils. I've had mine on my person daily for about 1 year now. From floor work to desk work and more than 1 trip through the washer and Dryer with only minor dents. Not too shabby for a rather rough life already. A Perfect companion for a pocket Moleskine.

Freedom First, Condemn Conformity.

I've had my 0.5mm for almost 30 years and it's still going strong.

+1

http://episodefive.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/pentelkerry.jpg?w=590&h=442

I bought mine in... the '80s... '70s? When did they start making these things? Anyway at the time the only option was 0.5, and black. Hard to believe it's been with me through college and several jobs over the decades, never lost, stolen, or damaged. The new ones look just like the old ones, nice to know a back up is available just in case. :thumbup:

+1

Me too :thumbup:

:D

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

• 6 years later...

I mentioned in another thread that I bought this new variant of the classic KERRY mech pencil by PENTEL when I was in JPN last month.

I also mentioned there that I would do a comparision.

So I found this more relevant thread to post here .

The main thing that catches your eye is that the metal middle part of the barrel is black here.

I am guessing that its PVD black, but I am not sure.

Its pricier - the coloured versions were selling for Y1500 but this was selling for Y2500 !

So I think its gotta be PVD black !

fpn_1560136383__20190610_103243.jpg

Up next against the old version on the left ...

fpn_1561005506__dscf8878.jpg

The labelling

says since 1971

and I am quite sure mine was purchased at that time when it first came out.

fpn_1561005557__dscf8880.jpg

The backside of the labelling

I dunno, I thot the checkered knurl (the chrome old one) had more character.

The new black rendition is kind of a common machine knurl ....

Would like to hear some opinions ....

fpn_1561005599__dscf8881.jpg

Caps off

very similar.

slight differences though

fpn_1561005681__dscf8882.jpg

This nib section looks same size

fpn_1561005851__dscf8883.jpg

But I think the shank holding the pencil lead is a tad longer ...

fpn_1561005914__dscf8886.jpg

Here's some main differences on the inside ...

The rear cap - for closing the tube of leads.

Bottom left is the original

Bottom right is the new one missing that metal rod.

fpn_1561006005__dscf8887.jpg

Closer view

The one with the rod is the old original version.

BTW, you folks owning the coloured versions, is this part also updated or like the old version?

I find the rod very useful . also very sturdily built.

The rod of course corresponds with the lead size. Here it is 0.5mm . to clear any chokages in the shank and jaw parts.

This is my main gripe with this black version, it doesnt have one at all or anything close to it like a needle.

fpn_1561006182__dscf8888.jpg

The tube carrying fresh leads seem to be same size

fpn_1561006385__dscf8889.jpg

Exposing the innards

fpn_1561006441__dscf8890.jpg

some slight differences too ...

the coil spring size is beefier on the old one - leftside

and there's a new white collar (neoprene?) on the new one on the rightside

fpn_1561006545__dscf8893.jpg

The 3 claw jaws seem to be the same

fpn_1561006662__dscf8894.jpg

do they look the same?

less machining steps on the new one.

fpn_1561006712__dscf8896.jpg

The metal knurled barrel part ...

fpn_1561006799__dscf8897.jpg

I am not sure whether they are same size ...

maybe cos its balck and looks smaller - an illusion perhaps

I know, these plastic calipers are not accurate enough for such precise measurements

fpn_1561006876__dscf8898.jpg

fpn_1561006940__dscf8899.jpg

fpn_1561006992__dscf8900.jpg

Some slight differences in the cap

fpn_1561007044__dscf8901.jpg

The engineers must have taken a decision to modify the cap end

The new one - the end cap stays extended.

There's a spring that keeps this extended even when the pencil is capped closed.

The old one on the left, collapses and is allowed to move freely depending on gravity.

Perhaps this makes the new one on the rightside more aesthetically pleasing?

fpn_1561007211__dscf8902.jpg

When the cap is posted for use, the new one seems taller ..

Come to think of it, I think its sticking out too much ...

The old one leftside looks more proportionate

fpn_1561007477__dscf8903.jpg

a closer view

fpn_1561007588__dscf8904.jpg

What do you guys think of the new blackened variant ?

fpn_1561005506__dscf8878.jpg

I think I must get the coloured one , either the olive or the blue ....

No wait , I change my mind , I like the NOS '5' version of a deep green , it looks nicer than the pastel like Olive green new version.

CRAZY !

eBay is selling one of these NOS '5' version for US$60 !!!!!!!

Madness ....!

Edited by TMLee

instagram

Great comparison. Thank you for taking the time to do all of that.

I must have at least 20 of both varieties laying around. My husband and I both used the Pentel 5 and then the Kerrys started showing up. These are great mechanical pencils and a standard for both of us.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I like this pencil, but has not dethroned my rotring 600 or 800.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Great comparison. Thank you for taking the time to do all of that.

I must have at least 20 of both varieties laying around. My husband and I both used the Pentel 5 and then the Kerrys started showing up. These are great mechanical pencils and a standard for both of us.

Whaaat ?

20 or more ?

You folks are hardcore !!!

Do you have the deep green version ? Not the olive one.

Then I must seek your advice,

what’s the best brand for 3B lead ?

In some of my mech pencils, they break frequently, others not so.

So I am not sure whether it’s the mechanism , too strong the jaws?

Or the lead ,

Or what ?

instagram

Yeah , I think they are excellent for draughting .

instagram

Yeah , I think they are excellent for draughting .

Well done, an excellent comparison. thumbup.gif

The extra Y1000 just gets you a bit of knurling. I would have preferred it on the grip like the 600.

I am unsure why they introduced it, hardly any change from the original.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Pentel Ain Stein or Uni Nano Dia, both offer 2/3/4B.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I continue to enjoy my 600's but lately I have been gravitating towards the Platinum MSD-1500, which has more girth (similar to a Pelikan M1000).

Engineer :

Nice review.

I agree with you about the 4B leads, but many of my students struggle to read HB - it's not dark enough on the paper - so I compromised with a B lead which is shade darker.. I prefer a 2B, but - like the 4B it melts too quickly.

Whaaat ?

20 or more ?

You folks are hardcore !!!

Do you have the deep green version ? Not the olive one.

Then I must seek your advice,

In some of my mech pencils, they break frequently, others not so.

So I am not sure whether it’s the mechanism , too strong the jaws?

Or the lead ,

Or what ?

Pentel Ain for basically everything is my choice. I prefer 2b, as it doesn't snap like 4b and has a much darker line than HB. Don't even bother with 4b unless you know EXACTLY what you want to do with it.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I continue to enjoy my 600's but lately I have been gravitating towards the Platinum MSD-1500, which has more girth (similar to a Pelikan M1000).

that is a weird looking thing. I prefer pencils be as thin as possible, I find thicker ones to be less agile. My sailor pro gear multipen is about as wide as I can tolerate.

If I was told "one writing thing, rest of your life" it'd probably be the pro gear multipen though, as long as I could get zebra D2 rollerball refills for it. With the ballpoints I hate it, with rollerballs, it's glorious.