Waterman "blurple"

Niagara Falls

Here's a short description of a self mixed ink, for all of those, who think Waterman Floridablue or Waterman violet need to be pimped up...

post-34731-0-29782900-1307950231.jpg

Zwei Dinge sind unendlich, das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit, aber bei dem Universum bin ich mir noch nicht ganz sicher. (Einstein)

http://www.facebook.com/GuentherDebertin

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PAKMAN

• kpyeoman

• adyf

• welch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that's a brilliant color. I'm in my blurple period just now, so I'm interested. My only concern would be fading. How does it look after it has been on the page for a couple of weeks?

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Thanks for this review! May I add that I too find this ink to be fantastic.

- It is a perfect bluish purple, or, maybe a purplish blue? Who cares, I love the heck out of it.

- Wetness and lube qualities are unsurpassable... but... not too wet.

- Any dryness I've ever experienced with any ink in any pen was immediately eliminated with the use of this ink.

- A perfect example of what Richard has always endorsed: "How about a mix like 1:1 and not e.g. 3:8" (which I myself often manage to cough out....)

Mike http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/thumbsup.gif

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

The Faux Tanzinate / Blurple is a great ink color. I mixed up a bottle full and love it. PR Tanzinate was such a pain and the Binder Blurple is a great replacement!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I think that's a brilliant color. I'm in my blurple period just now, so I'm interested. My only concern would be fading. How does it look after it has been on the page for a couple of weeks?

I used it for a while. No fading. Attractive color. Then I tried a mix of 1/3 PR Tanzanite, 1/3 PR American Blue, and 1/3 PR Electric Blue, which gives a darker purplish blue. The PRAB and EB seem to calm Tanzanite's tendency to flow like the Niagra Falls. I might try a Waterman 1/3 mix of FLA Blue + Blue-black + purple.

No fading with any of them.

Edited by welch

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I just can't stand the massive nib creep that you get with Tanzanite. It literally can't be cleaned off of the nib. Every time you try to wipe it off you get more smear across the nib than you had before you started!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• 1 year later...

I did this with Pelikan Blue and Purple (Violet?). I didn't love either color, so I dumped my bottle of Blue in with the violet (the mixture is more purple than blurple, but it's a great color)

• 6 months later...

This is my absolute favorite ink combo! If I could only use one ink for the rest of my life (perish the thought!), it would be Waterman Blue/Purple! It's wonderful in a medium nib Lamy 2000. They feel like they were made for one another.

I do a Skrip version of Blurple, with a 1:1 mix of Skrip Blue and Skrip Purple, with a dash of Noodlers Polar Blue to pump up the color.

Skrip is usually slightly less expensive than Waterman's, and this mix behaves well in every pen I use it in. It's a favorite go-to ink for me.

I like this mix but find it leaning more heavily towards purple. A 2:1 or 3:1 mix of blue : purple is ideal for me.

One thing to note is that the blue component does fade over time, leaving a mostly purple shade as time goes by.

I like this mix but find it leaning more heavily towards purple. A 2:1 or 3:1 mix of blue : purple is ideal for me.

One thing to note is that the blue component does fade over time, leaving a mostly purple shade as time goes by.

Yrs, this has been my experience too. I wonder what can be done to lessen this?

Yrs, this has been my experience too. I wonder what can be done to lessen this?

The problem is the Florida Blue: it quickly fades. Keeping the writing out of direct sunlight would probably slow the fading but there probably isn't a way to halt it.

Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers on Facebook

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if you can mix Pelikan Royal Blue with Waterman Purple and get similar results? I know that PelRB is a bit drier and paler than Waterman FB, but they are very similar in hue (and they have similar pH, so no problem there). Thanks!

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

I wonder if Waterman Florida Blue and Noodlers 54th Mass would react? Has anyone tried a 3/4 Waterman and 1/4 Noodlers 54th Mass mix to see how they work together and become water resistant?

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

• 2 years later...

i'm wondering why no one addresses the mixing of Diamine inks because Diamine is also recommended by RB notwithstanding that RB has identified at least eleven Diamine colors possessing pH values between 2.42 (blue velvet) and 5.75 (autumn oak).

my perception of all the reading that i'm amassing is that there is not a dispositive correlation between extreme pH and injury to a pen but rather other factors must be considered.

thus, it seems to me that mixing a blurple from Diamine blue and Diamine violet could conceivably injure the pen whereas Waterman blue and Waterman violet will not.

your thoughts are solicited ...

Edited by nweissma

• 4 weeks later...