Iron Gall Inks

inky

I'm not sure that I really understand what an iron gall ink is, but it seems that special care is required with these inks. Carefully cleaning pens, cleaning more often, etc. Is there a list or can we compile a list here so that we will know which inks to watch?

Sheaffer Targa - Parker Penman Sapphire----- Luoshi - Silk Road Green

Twsbi - Noodler's North African Violet-----Lamy Vista - Noodler's Marine Green

WTB Lamy Terracotta and Savannah, Sweden LE, Japan LE

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/BrownEyedGirl248/Avatars/InkDrop.jpgMember since 1-28-11

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JefferyS

• inky

• Mickey

• eds

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is that in the past archival quality inks were made of iron gall. It's obtained from oak galls among other things. The acidic nature of the ink can corrode steel and although modern iron gall inks aren't as corrosive as those in the past, it is recommended you have more care in your pen hygene. A few brands and ink colors I can name off my head are:

Diamine Registar's Ink

Montblanc Blue-Black

Rohrer and Klingner Scabiosa

Lamy Blue-Black (not too sure)

The stance on iron gall inks vary. Some will avoid them because of bad experiences others will still use them, just taking special care of the pen's hygene. I for one use it and don't mind it at all. Hope this helps. You can also do a quick search here on the forums, there are several topics on it.

In some things in life it's better to take a Zen approach. If you think too much you won't achieve your goal, wheras if you don't think and let yourself go, it shall be achieved with ease. I find this helpful in writing, kendo and music.

The thing is that in the past archival quality inks were made of iron gall. It's obtained from oak galls among other things. The acidic nature of the ink can corrode steel and although modern iron gall inks aren't as corrosive as those in the past, it is recommended you have more care in your pen hygene. A few brands and ink colors I can name off my head are:

Diamine Registar's Ink

Montblanc Blue-Black

Lamy Blue-Black (not too sure)

The stance on iron gall inks vary. Some will avoid them because of bad experiences others will still use them, just taking special care of the pen's hygene. I for one use it and don't mind it at all. Hope this helps. You can also do a quick search here on the forums, there are several topics on it.

Agree completely just one clarification; with the exception of Diamine Registar's ink, MB's and Lamy's blue black in cartridges are not iron gall based inks but are iron gall based when purchased in bottle form.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Rohrer & Klinger Salix is an iron gall ink too.

I am using MB and Lamy Blueblack for decades now and yes, one should flush the pen more often than with e.g. Pelikan, Lamy or MB Royal Blue but this it is.

If you are used to highly saturated inks like Noodlers and Private Reserve, you won't notice any difference in the maintenance required. I have inked a vintage Pelikan 140 with Salix and have no issues whatsoever. The same with Scabiose filled in a 1980s Pelikan M250.

I agree with the other answers. I have been using MB, Diamine and R&K Iron gall inks and had no problems at all. I clean every pen before i (re)fill it. Other than that Iron gall inks are rather dry i have no problems at all with them.

Which Pelikan 4001 inks would be classed as iron gall ones, then?

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I make my own iron gall ink, which work wonderfully well in my FP's. It is based on the german Urkundentinte specications, endorsed by the german law to be the only ink to write and sign state treaties. The ink is very limpid, flows very well from the pen with a blue hue and darkens into an indelible black. It does not feather nor does it clog the pen. Unlike most commercial IG inks, this home-brewed ink also contains tannic acid on top of the gallic acid, rendering the ink much more archival compared to inks which only contain gallic acid.

Which Pelikan 4001 inks would be classed as iron gall ones, then?

Pelikan doesn't make iron gall inks, as far as I'm aware of. HOWEVER, the Pelikan blue-black is somewhat similar in colour to Lamy Blue Black (before the Lamy oxidises to black), and is very water resistant as well.

I make my own iron gall ink, which work wonderfully well in my FP's. It is based on the german Urkundentinte specications, endorsed by the german law to be the only ink to write and sign state treaties. The ink is very limpid, flows very well from the pen with a blue hue and darkens into an indelible black. It does not feather nor does it clog the pen. Unlike most commercial IG inks, this home-brewed ink also contains tannic acid on top of the gallic acid, rendering the ink much more archival compared to inks which only contain gallic acid.

How do you make your ink? Do you have a good recipe?

The risk of iron gall inks to fountain pens isn't so much from their acidity as from the precipitate they drop. This is why more frequent flushing is recommended. Modern FP iron galls don't drop significant amounts of precipitate and are not nearly as corrosive as dip pen IG inks, such as McCaffery, Old World, and Blots (which drop loads of precipitate).

Edited by Mickey

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Pelikan Blue-Black has iron gall in it. I e-mailed Pelikan's customer service, and they confirmed it. I don't know how much; for those who understand German, it is "nur ein Hauch", which indicates that it is not a lot, just a touch. But it is there, and the color behaves like an iron gall ink - it goes on deep blue and slowly changes to silvery black, and is very water resistant.

Edited by lambertiana

Just to be clear, we are not saying that these inks are especially good or bad; only that we believe that they may be "iron gall" inks and extra care when cleaning and frequency of cleaning pens is recommended.

Diamine Registar's Ink, bottle (not carts)

Montblanc Blue-Black, bottle (not carts)

Lamy Blue-Black, bottle (not carts)

Rohrer & Klinger Salix

Pelikan Blue-Black, just a little

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/BrownEyedGirl248/Avatars/InkDrop.jpgMember since 1-28-11

Pelikan Blue-Black has iron gall in it. I e-mailed Pelikan's customer service, and they confirmed it. I don't know how much; for those who understand German, it is "nur ein Hauch", which indicates that it is not a lot, just a touch. But it is there, and the color behaves like an iron gall ink - it goes on deep blue and slowly changes to silvery black, and is very water resistant.

Hmm... that is a bit weird. The thing is, the blue component of the ink, which is presumably not the iron gall component, seems to be very water resistant as well.

Does this qualify PBB as iron gall? In my opinion in kind of does.

I'm a little surprised that iron gall inks still command interest in the 21st century given the better alternatives. I'm of the impression that these inks don't bind especially well to modern (non-vellum) papers. Is there a "look" of iron gall inks that can't easily be replicated with more modern inks?

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I am a little surprised that Noodler's doesn't have one on the list.

I am a little surprised that Noodler's doesn't have one on the list.

Whaleman's Sepia looks like one, at least when dry. I don't think it is, and it is probably more durable.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I'm a little surprised that iron gall inks still command interest in the 21st century given the better alternatives. I'm of the impression that these inks don't bind especially well to modern (non-vellum) papers. Is there a "look" of iron gall inks that can't easily be replicated with more modern inks?

I'm using Lamy BB in my TWSBI, which is my "grab and stab" pen at the office for quick notes. I find it feathers least of the inks I own on cheap paper and I enjoy the quick-drying aspect. It's also never wrong, in case I happen to grab that pen and use it for something to be seen by other eyes.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Probably for the same reason some photographers continued using Rodinal long after there were "better" developers, it had a look that nothing else quite gave. The same is true, I believe, for iron gall inks.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

So what would the general recommendation be with Pelikan Blue-Black? I tend to flush out each pen every two fill of BB and each time if I change colour. They're new (as opposed to vintage) pens and I think this is probably about right. Comments please if this is the right time and place!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"