Italix 'parsons' Essential' Fountain Pen.

Lorna Reed

I recently got my fine italic and have a couple of issues. The line is much thicker than I'd hoped, but going by some of the pictures here the fine stub looks like what I'm after, so I will just order one of those in addition to the current nib.

The pen also begins to dry up after a short time writing and I have to fiddle with the converter knob to push ink into the feed. You can see the ink get lighter and lighter each page, then return to normal colour once re-primed. I don't know what to do about this, any advice?

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• papabear16

• Harlequin

• cbaytan

• pjford

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Venator, hard to say what the problem might be but I would suggest switching out inks to one with wet characteristics. Peter Ford at Italix suggests Diamine inks. I've also found Iroshizuku to be good flowing inks. If you're using a converter, is it pushed all the way in? Mr. Ford says you will feel (hear) a click when it's correctly placed. And lastly, you can always send it back to Mr. Ford for adjustment. Sure hope you can get it working to your satisfaction. Always disappointing when a pen has issues.

Venator, hard to say what the problem might be but I would suggest switching out inks to one with wet characteristics. Peter Ford at Italix suggests Diamine inks. I've also found Iroshizuku to be good flowing inks. If you're using a converter, is it pushed all the way in? Mr. Ford says you will feel (hear) a click when it's correctly placed. And lastly, you can always send it back to Mr. Ford for adjustment. Sure hope you can get it working to your satisfaction. Always disappointing when a pen has issues.

Yes, the converter is all the way in and I have only tried Iroshizuku with it so far. After reading a few other threads I am going to try and squeeze a few drops from the nib after the next fill to leave some air in the converter and just give it some time, hoping that it just adjusts of its own accord as other folks' stub/italic nibs seem to have done. I have a batch of Diamine en route so I'll try that next. If none of that works perhaps I will attempt to widen the feed channel after doing some research. Thanks mmg!

I just ordered a Parson's Essential, and I'm very excited! I got the black finish with a medium italic oblique nib. I figured that I don't see oblique nibs in too many places these days, and I've always wanted to give one a try. I've also been eyeing up the Italix "Professional." As a teacher, I don't see how I can pass up on that one. I can't wait to get this new pen!

I love this thread.

Manners maketh the man!

My PE arrived. It's fab.

(I wittered on about it on another thread). Now I want another one. ;)

Blue_Moon - This is all your fault!

I've got a Parson's Essential medium and it's wonderful. Beautifully smooth. I've been wondering whether to go for another with a cursive stub or an italic. I might still do that. However, I treated myself to their Commodore's Credential for my birthday, and chose a cursive stub. Which is an even better writer!

I love Italix. I can see me getting more of their pens in the near future. Parson's or Commodore's or whatever. :)

PORTIA DA COSTA
writing erotica and erotic romance since 1991/

born again fountain pen addict
http://www.portiadacosta.com

I've just looked on Mr.Pen's website to find that the Commodore's Credential is only available (so far?) in medium nibs. While I love my PE, the medium nib is as wide as I'd ever want it, so I was hoping to get a fine next time. Maybe I just need to be patient and wait!

I've just looked on Mr.Pen's website to find that the Commodore's Credential is only available (so far?) in medium nibs. While I love my PE, the medium nib is as wide as I'd ever want it, so I was hoping to get a fine next time. Maybe I just need to be patient and wait!

The only fine seems to be the italic one. I guess this more modest selection of nibs is because it's an entirely different nib style and feed to the Parson etc. The Flowtip. But it works because the flow is lovely.

Lucky for me [but not for my bank balance] I'm a medium nib gal. Although I might be tempted by that fine italic, out of curiosity. ;)

PORTIA DA COSTA

I have three PEs. Seemed like a cost-effective way to experiment with various nibs, and I like the weight and balance of the brass body. Nicely made and finished. For my hand, a pleasure to hold. WRT function, though, I would classify these as useful learning tools. I would not care to use any of them on a daily basis.

Cleaned before use and inked with Iroshizuko.

1. Fine cursive stub - Best of the lot. Writes wet, can be hard to start but, once going, tends to keep going. Stops instantly if you hold it slightly rotated (counterclockwise I think). Has sometimes dried out after a period of writing, but pushing the ink up in the converter fixes it.

2. Medium italic - Very wet. Very very wet. Did I mention, it's wet? Very hard starter. Usually needs a couple of high pressure strokes to get going. Keeps going until you stop but if you stop for even a brief period, will need to be restarted. Not overly fussy about sweet spot but there is one. Nice variation effect - if you are not being forced to press really hard to keep the ink going. It was really bad on arrival - so bad I would classify it as unusable. Took the nib out, cleaned everything, reinserted and it is better now. Annoying but usable.

3. Medium oblique for right handed. Starts well. Actually seems a fairly fine line. Scratchy. Still working out how to use this.

On the whole, I am not impressed. Clearly, others have gotten much better results.

I love this thread.

Manners maketh the man!

My PE arrived. It's fab.

(I wittered on about it on another thread). Now I want another one. ;)

Blue_Moon - This is all your fault!

I'll take the blame. :)

The only fine seems to be the italic one. I guess this more modest selection of nibs is because it's an entirely different nib style and feed to the Parson etc. The Flowtip. But it works because the flow is lovely.

Lucky for me [but not for my bank balance] I'm a medium nib gal. Although I might be tempted by that fine italic, out of curiosity. ;)

I love medium nibs too, and have three Italix ones (regular, stub, italic). I do have a fine italic that I love. That says a lot coming from a lover of medium nibs.

I have three PEs. Seemed like a cost-effective way to experiment with various nibs, and I like the weight and balance of the brass body. Nicely made and finished. For my hand, a pleasure to hold. WRT function, though, I would classify these as useful learning tools. I would not care to use any of them on a daily basis.

Cleaned before use and inked with Iroshizuko.

1. Fine cursive stub - Best of the lot. Writes wet, can be hard to start but, once going, tends to keep going. Stops instantly if you hold it slightly rotated (counterclockwise I think). Has sometimes dried out after a period of writing, but pushing the ink up in the converter fixes it.

2. Medium italic - Very wet. Very very wet. Did I mention, it's wet? Very hard starter. Usually needs a couple of high pressure strokes to get going. Keeps going until you stop but if you stop for even a brief period, will need to be restarted. Not overly fussy about sweet spot but there is one. Nice variation effect - if you are not being forced to press really hard to keep the ink going. It was really bad on arrival - so bad I would classify it as unusable. Took the nib out, cleaned everything, reinserted and it is better now. Annoying but usable.

3. Medium oblique for right handed. Starts well. Actually seems a fairly fine line. Scratchy. Still working out how to use this.

On the whole, I am not impressed. Clearly, others have gotten much better results.

Sorry you've had a tough time. I'd contact Mr. Ford. Maybe he could offer some insight and/or assistance. I've never had a bad experience with an Italix. On my Planet Italix, the words "hard start" don't exist.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

PortiaDaCosta...Commodore Credential now available with eight nib options!

Thanks!

Mmm... that medium italic is calling to me now. :)

I love my Commodore and my Parson. Basically, I could just go hog wild at Mr Pen with all the different models and nib variations.

PORTIA DA COSTA

• 2 months later...

Something new, we launch the Italix English Curate at the end of August 2015.

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

Hi, great review of a wonderful pen... I use the Parson's or the Churchman's daily and am very pleased with both of them... Iroshizuku and Diamine inks seem to work very well on both pens, I have recently started using the Churchman's with Private Reserve DC Electric Blue, fantastic combination. I use italic nibs on both pens and both pens are quite surprising in terms of smoothness and the overall experience.

Just want to pop in here and say that thanks to this and a couple other threads, I recently purchased 2 matching Parson's Essential fountain pens from mrpen.co.uk (no affil), as wedding gifts to my brother and bride to be, engraved with their initials and wedding date. The folks at Mr Pen shipped the pens in less than 24 hours! So quickly I was worried they may have forgot to engrave them, but nope, they are in my hand and the engraving is beautiful.

The pens themselves are really fantastic - kind of wish I had gotten one for myself. I tested them both out and wow! Those fine nibs are smooth and a joy to write with! Flow is nice and consistent - line width is perfect - and I really like the heft of the pens, being that they are metal. They feel high quality and substantial. And they look nice and classy with the black lacquer. Great value, I have to say.

I think the only thing that is preventing me from buying one for myself (aside from the fact that I already have too many pens!) is that I have big hands and need to post most pens, and because of the metal construction of these pens, the pen is noticeably back heavy when posted. Certainly not a huge deal, but at this point with owning so many pens, a pen really has to be perfect to be added to my collection.

However, my brother and wife will surely adore them! And I am proud to submit these to them as their very first fountain pens. Very happy with my purchase from Mr Pen.

Something new, we launch the Italix English Curate at the end of August 2015.

Will you be showing this pen at The San Francisco Pen Show next week?

Just wondering if a person can try it out?

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

Hi, I've been using the Parson's Essential and the Churchman's Prescriptor for approximately 3 months now and they are my daily use pens. In the Parson's i have a fine cursive nib and in the Churchman's a Medium Italic... wonderful experience so far in terms of smoothness, minimal feedback, wet writers... I would not use the Churchman's on Moleskine as the shadowing is far too much, the Parson's works very well.

The ink capacity can become a issue for daily use if one doesnt "top up" the parson's daily.... but it's not a problem.

The pens work very well with Diamine inks wet and good flow, but a dry writing experience with J Herbin Lie de The, feathering with Private Reserve inks velvet black but a far better experience with PR Electric DC Blue. Both pens work very well with the Iroshizuku inks too.

The choice is between ordering another Parson's with a different nib set up or wait for the English Curate launch... let's see.

But overall Mr. ford has developed a great set of high quality fountain pens that are different in some ways but he has ensured that the nib and writing performance are very pleasing.

Thank you for your kind observations, the first consignment of the 'English Curate' should arrive later today (Thurs 27th August). I have been using a production sample for several days and I find it to be the nicest flowing pen we have ever made. Hand turned in acrylic with all engineered plated fittings and made entirely in England at various engineering companies. The fact that it is English is irrelevant except there is virtually no pen manufacturing in the UK since Conway Stewart made its skywards departure.

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

I got my first Italix pen - the Parson's Essential, unsurprisingly! - in the post this morning. Absolutely gorgeous, and excellent service, so fast! I am wondering if I made the right choice of nib: I got the fine cursive stub, but my unfortunate habit of rolling the pen inwards towards me a bit due to hyperflexible finger joints seems to cause the same problem as a reviewer above,in that it promptly causes the ink to stop flowing. This is a habit I wasn't even aware of until the cursive nib made it clear, and one I need to train myself out of, so it may be a good thing, but right now it's a little frustrating! - and correct position is a little painful for me because of my joint problems. A friend suggested that an oblique nib might be the answer but I am wary as I've never used one.... If anyone has any advice on this it'd be very welcome; there's no way I can afford a second pen at this time as I had to save for this one, but it would be useful for when I do! Do I just need to work the nib in, or should I have been conservative and got the standard rather than cursive stub? :S Or could it be that it needs adjusting?

An absolutely stunning pen, though - perfectly balanced for me when posted, still easy to write with when not posted, very smooth, just gorgeous! Could be the start of a very dangerous habit now that, after a period of financial hardship, I'm gradually being able to afford pens again...!