Photo

Italix 'parsons' Essential' Fountain Pen.

• Please log in to reply
363 replies to this topic

#361 Venator

Venator

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2015 - 23:14

I recently got my fine italic and have a couple of issues. The line is much thicker than I'd hoped, but going by some of the pictures here the fine stub looks like what I'm after, so I will just order one of those in addition to the current nib.

The pen also begins to dry up after a short time writing and I have to fiddle with the converter knob to push ink into the feed. You can see the ink get lighter and lighter each page, then return to normal colour once re-primed. I don't know what to do about this, any advice?

#362 mmg122

mmg122

Mary Garavaglia

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:54

Venator, hard to say what the problem might be but I would suggest switching out inks to one with wet characteristics. Peter Ford at Italix suggests Diamine inks. I've also found Iroshizuku to be good flowing inks. If you're using a converter, is it pushed all the way in? Mr. Ford says you will feel (hear) a click when it's correctly placed. And lastly, you can always send it back to Mr. Ford for adjustment. Sure hope you can get it working to your satisfaction. Always disappointing when a pen has issues.

#363 Venator

Venator

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:53

Venator, hard to say what the problem might be but I would suggest switching out inks to one with wet characteristics. Peter Ford at Italix suggests Diamine inks. I've also found Iroshizuku to be good flowing inks. If you're using a converter, is it pushed all the way in? Mr. Ford says you will feel (hear) a click when it's correctly placed. And lastly, you can always send it back to Mr. Ford for adjustment. Sure hope you can get it working to your satisfaction. Always disappointing when a pen has issues.

Yes, the converter is all the way in and I have only tried Iroshizuku with it so far. After reading a few other threads I am going to try and squeeze a few drops from the nib after the next fill to leave some air in the converter and just give it some time, hoping that it just adjusts of its own accord as other folks' stub/italic nibs seem to have done. I have a batch of Diamine en route so I'll try that next. If none of that works perhaps I will attempt to widen the feed channel after doing some research. Thanks mmg!

#364 MZielinski

MZielinski

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:17

I just ordered a Parson's Essential, and I'm very excited!  I got the black finish with a medium italic oblique nib.  I figured that I don't see oblique nibs in too many places these days, and I've always wanted to give one a try.  I've also been eyeing up the Italix "Professional."  As a teacher, I don't see how I can pass up on that one.  I can't wait to get this new pen!