Italix 'parsons' Essential' Fountain Pen.

Lorna Reed

My handwritten comments on what has fast become one of my favourite pens:

post-118225-0-57191500-1423329260_thumb.jpg

Edited by perfaddict

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• papabear16

• Harlequin

• cbaytan

• pjford

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm looking to get some quick advice on this thread from Parson's Essential users. Last Christmas, I bought a few of the Italix pens for my friends, all in fine cursive stub. I was very surprised by the thickness of what arrived, however, which I would call a medium to a medium-broad.

Although we are a bit past 30 days, Peter Ford has kindly allowed a change of all three pens. However, because we already took the finest option, I wonder whether specifying a fine round will be any better.

Here is a picture sent to me by the recipient. The Parson's is top, followed by a 0.5 pt tip pen, and regular ballpoint pen.

http://i.imgur.com/4AOcYxI.jpg

I am hoping that it was Ford's grinding it into a stub that made the tip so thick, and if we go with a regular fine, it should be smaller.

For comparison, here is papabear's picture, from this post:

14281132317_c59698d8c7_c.jpg

Notice that the fine stubs we used to create our picture look even broader than the broad stub above. Though I don't have the pens myself, I can confirm that before I gave them, the thicknesses you see is representative over different inks and papers.

I'm quite confused about what I should be asking---to me, a fine round is probably the safest choice, but I don't understand how our fine stub is so much thicker.

Thickness is always a tricky issue, because not only is it tough to compare different pictures (unless something is there to provide scale), but paper and ink can make a huge difference.

I will try to remember tonight to give you a writing sample of Parson's (which lives at home, on top of my journal) and my Pelikan with a .6 mm Binder stub. (The problem is that I am pretty sure it's .6, but it may have been .8.) Anyway, I think the Parson's writes a little thicker on both strokes than does the Pelikan.

I've never had a round Italix nib, so I cannot compare. But I have to assume that stubbing any round point creates a thicker downstroke, so switching to a round nib should give you a finer line all the way around. But that's just a guess on my part.

Good luck, and as you've already discovered, Mr. Ford's service is excellent. In fact, I'm thinking of ordering another Parson's from him soon (I'm a righty who wants to try an oblique italic for the left-handed).

Girls say they want a guy with serious ink, but then pretend to be bored when I show off all my fancy fountain pens. ~ Jason Gelles

Thickness is always a tricky issue, because not only is it tough to compare different pictures (unless something is there to provide scale), but paper and ink can make a huge difference.

I will try to remember tonight to give you a writing sample of Parson's (which lives at home, on top of my journal) and my Pelikan with a .6 mm Binder stub. (The problem is that I am pretty sure it's .6, but it may have been .8.) Anyway, I think the Parson's writes a little thicker on both strokes than does the Pelikan.

I've never had a round Italix nib, so I cannot compare. But I have to assume that stubbing any round point creates a thicker downstroke, so switching to a round nib should give you a finer line all the way around. But that's just a guess on my part.

Good luck, and as you've already discovered, Mr. Ford's service is excellent. In fact, I'm thinking of ordering another Parson's from him soon (I'm a righty who wants to try an oblique italic for the left-handed).

Thanks! I'd appreciate a follow-up once you can get that comparison.

It would be great if someone else could confirm that the fine round would likely be thinner than the fine stub. Like you, I believed that the grinding removing the ball likely makes it thicker.

I am almost certain a round will give you a finer line. I have a fine cursive stub and find it a wonderful nib to use but I appreciate that the round would create a finer line across the range of strokes.

Hopefully this helps. I was a bit surprised by the results, as my Parson's looks finer here than it does in my journal. But as I said, paper, ink, etc. all have an effect.

16282829049_4b807383b4_z.jpg2015-02-07 by papabear163, on Flickr

Girls say they want a guy with serious ink, but then pretend to be bored when I show off all my fancy fountain pens. ~ Jason Gelles

I am almost certain a round will give you a finer line. I have a fine cursive stub and find it a wonderful nib to use but I appreciate that the round would create a finer line across the range of strokes.

Hopefully this helps. I was a bit surprised by the results, as my Parson's looks finer here than it does in my journal. But as I said, paper, ink, etc. all have an effect.

Thank you to both of you. I've advised my friends to exchange their three nibs for a round. It is strange that their fine stubs ended up so much thicker than papabear's (even accounting for variation in ink and paper). I can only conclude that there is some variation in the grinding that resulted in the different thicknesses.

• 2 weeks later...

As stated before - I have had rather hard starts and constant skipping problems with my Italix Parson's Essential. Sending a pen from Denmark to the UK, signed for, would cost me £17 - and is really not an option for a pen this price class - especially not with the risk of just getting a refund - shipping lost both ways, right!? So I ordered another complete section, simply because I liked the pen and the nib too much to just give up - same problem; no matter what paper, ink, cartridge or converter I tried - until I finally solved the skipping and hard start problem - with a Waterman converter - it now works like a charm with both sections/nibs and most any ink. Kind of weird, but nice to have solved it at last. £5 well spent...

Just thought you might like to know... :)

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

• 3 weeks later...

As stated before - I have had rather hard starts and constant skipping problems with my Italix Parson's Essential. Sending a pen from Denmark to the UK, signed for, would cost me £17 - and is really not an option for a pen this price class - especially not with the risk of just getting a refund - shipping lost both ways, right!? So I ordered another complete section, simply because I liked the pen and the nib too much to just give up - same problem; no matter what paper, ink, cartridge or converter I tried - until I finally solved the skipping and hard start problem - with a Waterman converter - it now works like a charm with both sections/nibs and most any ink. Kind of weird, but nice to have solved it at last. £5 well spent...

Just thought you might like to know... :)

I didn't have much problem with this issue, but after one of the converters leaked, I swapped all of my Italix converters for Schmidts, and they worked wonderfully.

• 1 month later...

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj229/Popsjill/pens/DSCN1613_zps6661a2cb.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj229/Popsjill/pens/DSCN1614_zps7a0bdeda.jpg

I realize this is an older post but Can I ask you which nib you purchased for this sample? Your writing looks Spencerian (as opposed to Italic) and this is what I am looking for.

Thanks!

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

I realize this is an older post but Can I ask you which nib you purchased for this sample? Your writing looks Spencerian (as opposed to Italic) and this is what I am looking for.

Thanks!

The standard italic nib that comes with the pen but I ground it down a bit.

Actually it makes no difference which nib you use because the type of writing is just my style of writing with any pen.

I have a stock standard old Parker that I ground to an italic type nib and I write in this same style with that as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered a standard medium Italix Parson's essential - will see how it writes first and will probably end up ordering the fine italic etc :D can't wait to receive it

I've been writing with fountain pens my whole life and collecting them since the early 80's. I recently purchased the Italix Parson's Essential after seeing SBRE Brown's You Tube review and reading all the great things folks said on FPN.

I'm far past the age where I get unduly enamored with "things"...until I saw the PE in person. WOW

I love the looks of it, the feel of it, the overall design. My cap band is the Celtic knot band and the pen is black lacquer. I immediately filled it with Noodler's FPH exclusive Manhattan (Blackest) Black and took my Broad Cursive Stub for a test drive. This pen is , without a doubt, the best writer I have ever used. No skipping, no start up problems, smooth as silk and lays down a beautiful line of ink with perfect feedback. I love this pen beyond reason...so much so that I ordered another one in burgundy on the first day I used it.

Many kudos to Mr. Ford for making a wonderful pen that will be my daily writer for years to come. The unbelievable thing is that this pen is so gosh darn affordable. I would recommend the Italix Parson's Essential without hesitation.

I've been writing with fountain pens my whole life and collecting them since the early 80's. I recently purchased the Italix Parson's Essential after seeing SBRE Brown's You Tube review and reading all the great things folks said on FPN.

I'm far past the age where I get unduly enamored with "things"...until I saw the PE in person. WOW

I love the looks of it, the feel of it, the overall design. My cap band is the Celtic knot band and the pen is black lacquer. I immediately filled it with Noodler's FPH exclusive Manhattan (Blackest) Black and took my Broad Cursive Stub for a test drive. This pen is , without a doubt, the best writer I have ever used. No skipping, no start up problems, smooth as silk and lays down a beautiful line of ink with perfect feedback. I love this pen beyond reason...so much so that I ordered another one in burgundy on the first day I used it.

Many kudos to Mr. Ford for making a wonderful pen that will be my daily writer for years to come. The unbelievable thing is that this pen is so gosh darn affordable. I would recommend the Italix Parson's Essential without hesitation.

Mmmmmmmahahahahahahahaha..............Another one has fallen down the PE rabbit hole. ;)

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

• 2 weeks later...

whispers quietly - I have 3 now and about to order a 4th :o

and I am even doing my maths with the medium italic nibbed version - beautiful to write with

post-88585-0-36279000-1432198108_thumb.png

Whispers even more quietly... I have 5 now and have run out of colours! ... great pens with a nice selection of nibs available.

My Instagram page.

Jeffrey...great collection! I think the green will be my next Parson's Essential. Now to decide on the nib.

Whispers even more quietly... I have 5 now and have run out of colours! ... great pens with a nice selection of nibs available.

attachicon.gifIMG_0067.JPG

very nice - what is the red one next to the black parsons?

very nice - what is the red one next to the black parsons?

That is the Parker Duofold Special Edition named 'Red Mosaic'. There are several in the series Blue, Black and I believe there may be a violet coloured pen although I have never seen one for sale. I believe production dates around 2002. Google throws up more pictures of the full range of colours.

My Instagram page.