Waterman Edson vs. Exception

vision35

How do these two pens compare. Is the Edson worth $100, or about 25%, more in price? Have you tried both, own either, and which do you prefer?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marklavar

• wimg

• petra

• goodguy

I have these pens and BOTH of them are my top two favorite pens :)9 :)9 :)9 . I wouldn't give up either one of them! They're both solid, well-made pens & are superb writers. They both have beautiful styling... the Edson has gorgeous color & is perhaps flashier. The Exception is elegant in a very different way. A friend recently remarked that the Exception reminds him of a Chanel perfume bottle (!) although I'd describe it as "tuxedo." I have the model with the gold bands down 2 sides -- and if I had lots of money, I get the platinum model too! I saw it in person at the Columbus pen show and it's amazing.

I have a stub nib on the Exception (not an inlaid nib) and a left oblique italic on the Edson (a completely sexy inlaid nib), and the nibs are nails, so if you like flex or springy nibs, you wouldn't like these. I have a thing for inlaid nibs... but if you're prone to holding a pen very close to the nib, it may not be for you.

The Edson is round, and the Exception is squarish, so that might be a consideration for you. The Exception is heavier. One design feature I really like about the Exception is the bayonet mount of the barrel, so checking the converter is quick and easy.

I've had them both on flights without any leakage or anything.

So I guess I'm not much help at all :blush: since I think they're both worth the $$... the Exception has a few different models, some of which have a simpler or more conservative appearance, which may be a plus for some people.

If you have specific questions about something, ask away -- I'm sure the Waterman fans will dive in and try to answer! Either way, you're going to end up with a terrific pen!

Petra

/:)

How do these two pens compare. Is the Edson worth $100, or about 25%, more in price? Have you tried both, own either, and which do you prefer?

I have both pens. I find them to be quite different in certain respects. The Edson's inlaid nib gives a drier line than the Exception's, but still very smooth. And the Edson nib also produces a narrower line - I found the medium Edson nib to suit me much more than the fine, while in the Exception I went for the fine nib, as the medium was too thick.

Both pens are very smooth writers; among the smoothest you will find anywhere. The nibs are extremely firm in both cases, but that doesn't bother me at all.

The Edson is the grandest pen, but ink capacity is no different than the Exception's as they are both cc fillers. I would say the Exception offers better value for money and wider range of styles, while the Edson is the one to get if you feel you need to have the absolute apex of the Waterman product range. The Edson also has one important advantage: it is guaranteed not to leak on a plane - ever.

My opinion: get both! :)

I have an Edson not an Exception.

I did have one in my hand and I was very impressed.

When I compare between the twoo it looks to me that the Edson will always have that special charm that the Exception will never have.

The first time I saw the Edson my jaw dropped.As for the Exception I just didnt feel the same way and I believe many people think alike.

Can compare how the Exception write since I never tried it but I am sure it is great.

I would always vote for the Edson as the better and more atractive pen.

Respect to all

I have tried the Exception, and it doesn't have the same attraction as the Edson has, to me anyway.

BTW, the Exception was brought out as the replacement for the Liaison, not for the Edson.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Well -- if they're not replacing the Edsons just yet, do you suppose we can look foward to:

topaz edson

diamond edson

opal edson

??!! Maybe with platinum instead of yellow gold color?

:D Petra

I have tried the Exception, and it doesn't have the same attraction as the Edson has, to me anyway.

BTW, the Exception was brought out as the replacement for the Liaison, not for the Edson.

Warm regards, Wim

I don't believe that the Exception was intended as a replacement for the Liaison. To me it makes more sense as a replacement for the Etalon.

Well -- if they're not replacing the Edsons just yet, do you suppose we can look foward to:

topaz edson

diamond edson

opal edson

??!! Maybe with platinum instead of yellow gold color?

:D Petra

Hi Petra,

Well, who knows? Especially after the Ruby, Emerald, the current Saphire, and the Boucheron and LE versions Waterman brought out :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I don't believe that the Exception was intended as a replacement for the Liaison.  To me it makes more sense as a replacement for the Etalon.

Hi Mark,

You don't have to believe it. I just reported what the Waterman representative, and two respectable dealers told me.

Furthermore, over here, in the Netherlands, the Exception is priced similarly to the Liaison, when that was still available. Essentially, the Edson is 250 - 300 euros more expensive than the Exception is or the Liaison ever was.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman