My First Mabie-Todd

Hi folks,

Just wanted to share my first Mabie Todd purchase. Got rid of a couple of beaters in my possession, as a result of which this pen was bought for around 18 USD. The barrel shows signs of shrinkage. The clip has some brassing, which I understand is not unusual with Blackbirds. The cap has "BLACKBIRD" embossed opposite the clip, and the end of the barrel features the number "5262".

http://s2.postimage.org/45roy747i/DSCF0149.jpg

The embossing on the body (much worn) features the outline of a bird and reads:

BLACKBIRD SELF-FILLING PEN

Mabie Todd & Co Ltd

Made in England.

The nib is tiny and reads:

BLACKBIRD

K

http://s2.postimage.org/45s753xn3/DSCF0152.jpg

The seller had popped in a fresh filler diaphragm before sale, and the filler unit works flawlessly. The springy nib is a modern XF with some feedback. Attached below is a picture for your reference.

It would be great if you can let me know around what year this pen was made.

Thanks very much,

Rahul

http://oi44.tinypic.com/30vg3eo.jpg

Follow at @rg1283 and http://bluecabbage.blogspot.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rahulg

• red52ripple

• elysee

• THREELETTERS

Hi Rahul,

Your pen dates to the second half of the nineteen-thirties.

Regards,

~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

www.goodwriterspensales.com/

The barrel shows signs of shrinkage.

How does the barrel show signs of shrinkage? What material was used to make this pen? I am not familiar with Mabie-Todd pens but I am interested in learning about them.

Edited by elysee

Hi Elysee,

I believe this pen is made of some sort of opaque black plastic, and not hard rubber. The barrel is slightly distorted around the lever filler unit, and shows unevenness throughout the pen barrel – the uneven surface is the result of shrinkage of the resin over time, which AFAIK is not atypical of some early plastics. I'm still a novice when it comes to older pens, but this site provides some history and introductory information, which I deem is useful.

Best,

Rahul

http://oi44.tinypic.com/30vg3eo.jpg

Follow at @rg1283 and http://bluecabbage.blogspot.com

The barrel shows signs of shrinkage.

How does the barrel show signs of shrinkage? What material was used to make this pen? I am not familiar with Mabie-Todd pens but I am interested in learning about them.

If you look at the original poster's picture of his pen you'll see that the barrel is no longer straight. These pens are made of celluloid, and it's quite thin in this model, which is probably why the distortion happens. It might also be that poorly cured celluloid was used on these pens. The celluloid in Mabie Todd pens is usually stable and they're not prone to distortion.

Regards,

~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

www.goodwriterspensales.com/

If you look at the original poster's picture of his pen you'll see that the barrel is no longer straight. These pens are made of celluloid, and it's quite thin in this model, which is probably why the distortion happens. It might also be that poorly cured celluloid was used on these pens. The celluloid in Mabie Todd pens is usually stable and they're not prone to distortion.

That is interesting -- Thanks!