The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Spencerian Script

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jessehalloran

jessehalloran

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2011 - 14:33

I am seventeen years old and planning on learning Spencerian Script and would like to ask some questions about it.

Firstly, how difficult is it? Is it a handwriting style that could potentially be used as one's everyday writing, like it was in it's heyday in the latter end of the 1800s and early 1900s?

Lastly, is there a specific pen that you would suggest for writing in Spencerian, or can it be written (and actually be attractive) with any writing instrument?

Please keep in mind that I'm young and unlearned about the art of handwriting....all I am is interested and eager to learn this beautiful style. ;) Thank you all in advance for any helpful answers to my questions!

Sponsored Content

#2 spiv

spiv

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2011 - 15:22

there are dozens of posts here about that style
a little searching might answer most of your questions
this site: http://www.iampeth.com/
has MANY resources as well

I hope the link is helpful, good luck.

#3 Achim

Achim

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2011 - 18:50

Good luck with your Spencerian - I think it's perfectly suited for an everyday hand. If you leave out the thicker strokes (and by that making it a kind of business script), you may use any pen for it - a rather fine line is preferable, though. I think it's not too difficult to acquire - half an hour of exercise for a few weeks and you should see very nice results. Later on you may want to use a flexible nib, but then you would already be on your way to ornamental penmanship.

#4 jessehalloran

jessehalloran

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2011 - 19:10

Thank you, Spiv and Achim for your repsonses! They are both very helpful.
I have concluded that Spencerian Business Script is what I'm looking for (as Achim mentioned).

#5 kenfraser

kenfraser

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,216 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:22

I have concluded that Spencerian Business Script is what I'm looking for (as Achim mentioned).

Look on the IAMPETH site for instructions and examples of Spencerian Business Script by Edward C Mills - the Master of the style.

caliken

#6 texaspenman

texaspenman

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:53

I taught myself spencerian, and I can say that is is a good everyday script when "toned down" but also provides and excellent script for more fancy correspondence. The opportunities for improvement can become a lifetime quest with this script! I use a Lamy Safari for everyday writing but for more formal writing I use vintage dip pen nibs and Higgin's Eternal Ink. Look for a set like this at Hobby Lobby or other arts/crafts store:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image "Of all of the instruments of war, diplomacy, and revolution, the pen has been the silent giant determining the fate of nations." -Justin Brundin

#7 Catoptromancy

Catoptromancy

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:32

I turn in all my school assignments written in Spencerian. I found most of the letters are very similar to the cursive I already knew. Mostly I had to learn the capitals. For school I like to only make the very first capital letter a bit fancy and larger, feels like it sets the tone for the rest of the paper which is written to be as basic and legible as possible.

I used most of this course to learn.
http://www.iampeth.c...rian_page7.html

Sadly all serious school work can only be typed and printed out.

Edited by Catoptromancy, 10 June 2011 - 02:36.

#8 jessehalloran

jessehalloran

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2011 - 21:08

Look on the IAMPETH site for instructions and examples of Spencerian Business Script by Edward C Mills - the Master of the style.

caliken

Thank you, Caliken. I have been studying that booklet on IAMPETH by E.C. Mills, and it is extremely helpful. I think I will be well on my way to writing in Business Script after going through that book.

#9 jessehalloran

jessehalloran

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2011 - 21:10

I turn in all my school assignments written in Spencerian. I found most of the letters are very similar to the cursive I already knew. Mostly I had to learn the capitals. For school I like to only make the very first capital letter a bit fancy and larger, feels like it sets the tone for the rest of the paper which is written to be as basic and legible as possible.

I used most of this course to learn.
http://www.iampeth.c...rian_page7.html

Sadly all serious school work can only be typed and printed out.

Thanks so much! That course will be very helpful to me as I learn.

#10 jessehalloran

jessehalloran

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2011 - 21:14

I taught myself spencerian, and I can say that is is a good everyday script when "toned down" but also provides and excellent script for more fancy correspondence. The opportunities for improvement can become a lifetime quest with this script! I use a Lamy Safari for everyday writing but for more formal writing I use vintage dip pen nibs and Higgin's Eternal Ink. Look for a set like this at Hobby Lobby or other arts/crafts store:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thank you! I, too, have a Lamy Safari (although I just very recently bought it and it is only my second fountain pen--I'm a newby to all of this). I will have to explore using a vintage dip pen, thanks!

#11 goring_shmith

goring_shmith

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2017 - 23:17

Hello everybody. What type of lettering is this one? Is it spencerian or something else? Thank you so much.

Attached Images

• post-126255-0-39425600-1486721320.jpg

#12 goring_shmith

goring_shmith

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2017 - 18:00

Did anyone use coffee to write with? I tested some and here is the result.

Attached Images

• IMG_20170211_171547.JPG

#13 goring_shmith

goring_shmith

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2017 - 15:54

Hello, everyone. What do you think about my coffee ink?cafea.jpg cafea.jpg

#14 goring_shmith

goring_shmith

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2017 - 19:07

IMG_20170217_203843.jpg

#15 goring_shmith

goring_shmith

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2017 - 00:34

Attempt in spencerian.

Attached Images

• 17197918_425934704412473_131493546_n.jpg
  • 17197894_425934804412463_2045156775_n.jpg
  • 17198448_425934887745788_584533594_n (1).jpg

#16 goring_shmith

goring_shmith

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2017 - 21:53

What a regular fountain pen can do when you atache to it a Tachikawa nib. The result is in the pictures below.

Attached Images

• 17274253_427783107560966_2091900813_n.jpg
  • IMG_20170311_203438.JPG

Sponsored Content

|