The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Namiki Capless Raden

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lehnsherr

Lehnsherr

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:28

Well I have put up this pen for sale for a few days but over the days none has indicated any interest. So I broke down and decided, why not ink up the pen for a try and see if I still wanna sell it? Besides I can contribute content to this community for reference - through a small write up of the pen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Raden Finishing
Well other than the noticably high price departing from regular capless models, the Capless Raden, of course sells itself through the raden finishing applied on the pen. Before I lay my eyes on the pen, I thought it might be too feminine for a big guy like me to use it, well I was dead wrong about it. The randomly applied abolone shells on the pen is actually quite subtle. I can see the sparkle while I rotate the pen, but nothing so obvious that I will call it too bling.

I do not know how the abolone shells are applied on the pen (even after googling for information), but when looking at the pen closely, the abolone shells seemed to be sandwiched in between the black brass paint and a layer of transparent laccquer as I can see "raised up" abolone shells fragments. However when I run my fingers accross it, I couldn't feel any of the abolone shells. One thing is for sure that there is indeed real fragments, and its amazing how the artisan can apply it without the whole thing feeling bumpy. I guess the abolone shells used are really very thin.

Posted Image

Body and construction
The capless is made of brass and Rhodium accents. This however don't make the pen heavy to me (I thought my M800 is heavier posted). The screw on the pen is well constructed as I do not encounter any strange sounds or diffuclty and it does have an o-ring that gives the user some feedback that the pen is screwed back tightly. The clicking mechinism (or rather the spring) is solid and gives out a loud clicking sound when the pen is used. The clip is not spring loaded but is decently constructed - I tested clipping on a shirt and faces no diffuclty.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nib
I guess most of us are familiar with the nib of the Capless. For me however, this is the first time that I am writing with a Capless and in this part of the review I will just talk about my own view of the nib.

Before I even ink the pen I thought I will in for a scratchy ride as I think the nib and the feed is really too small for a significant flow of ink to ensure smooth writing, to make matters worse I have an F nib. Thankfully I was dead wrong as the pen wrote perfectly without any issues or skipping as it writes as well as the bigger nibs Pilot makes. As usual I tested the pen with common inks and more expensive inks, in which I used Pelikan's Brillant Black and Noodler's Lubrucating Blue respectively. In both cases the nib performed well. (writing sample shown is written with Noodler's Lubricating Blue on common notepad)

Posted Image

Filling System
Knowing that Pilot's CON-50 might capture some ink on the back of the piston, I didn't use it to ink the pen but ink it instead with a spare pilot ink cartridge I have lying around. It can also be inked with Pilot's CON-20 squeeze converter as well.

Normally when using Pilot's CON-50, one can see the remaining ink level but in the case of the Capless system, only a small part of the converter could be seen, which is hardly useful at all. The next best thing is to use an ink cartridge, which is what I used to ink the pen for this review. This however proved to be as useless as the CON-50 application as one can't see the ink level at all once the included cartridge cap is used. I guess Pilot meant it to be used in order to protect the plastic material of the ink cartridge from wearing out and leaking ink. Somehow I think Pilot should cut 2 windows on the side of the cartridge cap in order for the user to look at the ink level.

Conclusion
I think that the Capless itself is a great pen of convinence, and this Capless that I have, the nib writes flawlessly. Alas I couldn't get used to the position of the clip during writing and it feels really awakard during the writing process. I could have kept the pen for the Raden finshing but to me a pen is to be used, not to be kept. This pen is for the Capless Collectors and also users that wanted a pen with raden finishing without breaking the piggy bank for it.

I hope you guys enjoyed this small write up of the Capless Raden

Lastly this pen is still on sale in the classified sections with full new and unused accessories, interested members do PM me or just give me an offer on it :)

Currently Using: Pelikan M805

Sponsored Content

#2 nicholasyeo

nicholasyeo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2011 - 13:30

Wow, this is one of the very expensive pens out there by Pilot in the Vanishing Point range.
I have stayed away from it so far, however it is one of the most beautiful VPs ever made....

#3 Lehnsherr

Lehnsherr

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 14:05

Wow, this is one of the very expensive pens out there by Pilot in the Vanishing Point range.
I have stayed away from it so far, however it is one of the most beautiful VPs ever made....

Yep the most expensive Capless I think. A marriage of Utilitarianism (capless design) and traditionalism (raden finishing)

#4 Lehnsherr

Lehnsherr

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:22

What kind of price is it? Retail price and yours,if possible. Thanks

You got PM :)

#5 Lehnsherr

Lehnsherr

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 18:36

I am surprised I've havent got it sold yet! Well now new lowered price
http://www.fountainp...aden-18k-f-nib/

#6 lain

lain

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:47

That looks like a very very good f nib!

#7 Lehnsherr

Lehnsherr

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:51

its very good indeed. The first time I have written with a capless and the small nib performs brillantly. Before this I was always under the impression that bigger nibs with biggger feeds that holds more ink would equate smoother lines. :D

#8 Lehnsherr

Lehnsherr

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:24

reposted the pen together with a Sterling Grance. Offers are welcomed :D

http://www.fountainp...-be-considered/

#9 mineiro

mineiro

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2011 - 20:11

I have exactly the same and can only confirm that it is a surprisingly pleasant writer.
It is fun looking at the glittering stars during a boring meeting.
I love to use it when smaller writing is required, when using poor quality paper that sucks the ink out of a broader nib and as back-up when my work horse (Dupont Olympio Crocodile) runs out of ink.

#10 Grin

Grin

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2011 - 23:39

its very good indeed. The first time I have written with a capless and the small nib performs brillantly. Before this I was always under the impression that bigger nibs with biggger feeds that holds more ink would equate smoother lines. :D

I have used a Namiki capless for years. They are a great pen. You are paying for the same technology, just an upscale covering!

#11 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:33

Have one and it is truly beautiful. Sorry to have payed the price? Nope.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

#12 Grin

Grin

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:10

#13 Grin

Grin

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:11

I am interested. Can we communicate an offer?

#14 Pippin60

Pippin60

Still tilting at windmills

• Member - Gold

• 2,334 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:52

I have several VP's as a daily writer including the Raden, I will say one thing while the photograph's are fine, in person the pen is even more beautiful especially if rotated in the light, you can see each reflection of the shells.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.
- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Sponsored Content

|