• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ftnpenlover

• Flounder

• noCartridges

• Dark_Severus

This is something very amazing and is very beautiful. I can say, its an eye candy...

Undoubtedly, a stand-out from others...

Thanks for showing us.

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

I stipulate that Flounder has proven that Greeks have always used the name "Constantinople," an accomplishment which proves nothing else about anything else. I'll go a step further: Greeks to this day use the name "Constantinople." How about 2 steps further?...Greeks will never use the name "Istanbul."

As for the significance of the conquest...it marked a turning point in the balance of power in European history and introduced one of the seeds of the 18th-century Enlightenment. In the 15th century, the Turks ("Osman" was the dynasty name...and "Ottoman" a fake name) used an administrative/ management system which was, except for the sultan himself, a meritocracy. The grand viziers, answering to the sultan himself, have included foreigners (Greeks, Serbs, Albanians, and others) as well as Turks of non-aristocratic birth. Any meritocracy was unknown in Europe at that time, and the notion that a commoner could rise to a station of authority & responsibility only gained acceptance in Europe centuries later.

ASIDE: If anyone feels this thread has lost direction (or been 'hijacked'), kindly note that it has been done so by the type of people who feel the need to ALWAYS mention the name "Constantinople" WHENEVER someone makes mention of "Istanbul."

Have a nice day.

Edited by noCartridges

...as an ethnic Turk born & educated in the United States I can tell you that American history teachers seek to minimize any mention of the Turks in history.

Europe too, alas. And when they do mention Turks, it's all propaganda dating from the Siege of Vienna.

The pen is too costly and a bit brash for me, but I think the erroneous name is a marketing compromise. No Turk alive called the world's most marvelous city 'Constantinople' (although his grandparents may have), and with world-boggling 8% economic growth there are a lot of rich Turks around with enough dosh to buy a pen named for Istanbul, even if a city of that name never fell to Mehmet the Conqueror.

Istanbul is, methinks, the world's greatest holiday destination - 2,000 years of history on almost every street corner, exotic yet easy to move about in comfort, delicious fresh food, European quality everything at low prices, charming and friendly people, boats and water and divine seafood, breathtaking architecture, good beer, heaps of art and culture, etc. I could move there tomorrow, never board an airplane again and never be bored.

"People build themselves a furnace when all they need is a lamp." Maulana Jalaludin Balkhi (Rumi)

It´s really a wonderful pen.

But I call it 1453 The Fall of Constantinople because it´s historically correct.

1453 was the end of Byzantine Empire, a christian civilization which stood in the tradition of the East Roman Empire.

This Empire got a tradition of more than 1000 years.

Sorry for my bad English and warm greetings to all of you.