Waterman Perspective

Oliwerko

There aren't many details available on Waterman Perspective around here, so I'll hopefully clear up some mysteries about it. I bought it at a local shop for 123 EUR, which isn't that bad for a Waterman like this.

Appearance and design:

If you ask me, this pen has a stunningly beautiful design. I don't like bulky "oval" pens and wide "retro" nibs. If you're like me, the Perspective is going to pleasantly surprise you. The design is modern and smooth. The plain deep blue laquer is something I totally love about this pen. It's actually darker than on the commercial photos though. And although I would be maybe happier if it was closer to the photos, I don't mind.

The section is nicely engraved with lines, the Waterman logo and the letters Paris. It's all chrome, and simple.

The nib is just as I like, and believe me, it's hard to find something which suits my nib taste. As I said, I don't like artsy wide nibs, I like simple, modern ones. This nib is just like that. It You almost can't see the slit and the breather hole at all. The nib is engraved with criss-crossing lines. They aren't overly prominent, just fine.

This pen caught my attention at the first sight, and the design is something I adore about it. It isn't for everyone, but if you like modern and simple design, very few pens will satisfy that department better than this one.

Presentation and service:

The pen was shipped in a plain blue box accompanied by a blue-black Waterman ink cartridge. I would like it to come with a converter for free at this price, but whatever, you can buy it separately. The pen has 3 years warranty, and Waterman will change your nib if you want to switch widths or if it has any flaws. This is one of the facts that contributed to me deciding to buy the pen.

Fit, weight and usage:

One of the biggest question marks regarding this pen is its weight. It's one of the heavier pens, probably the heaviest one I've got hold of so far. It's definitely NOT for people who like lightweight pens. The body is heavy, but mostly the section, which is all metal, is the heaviest. If you ask me, I like heavy pens, and I like the weight of this one. That being said, it's a matter of taste. If you like heavy pens, you shouldn't have any problems with it, but I would recommend to check the pen out before buying, if you have the opportunity.

Posting the cap also adds to the writing weight of the pen. It also makes THAT nice click you're looking for when you cap the pen. It can be posted on the upper end of the barrel, but not all the way - a small part of the top chrome part of the barrel remains exposed.

Another concerns I've had with this pen prior to buying was the section. At first sight it looks as if it's difficult to hold in your fingers because of the ridges on the section and because it's metal. This, along with the pen's weight may arise concerns for the comfortability during long writing runs. However, none of these was a problem for me. My fingers don't get sore after long writing, the pen doesn't start to feel heavy, and it feels comfortable in my hand all the time. Again, this may be subject to personal taste and to the way you hold the pen, but generally I was very positively surprised.

Nib and filling system:

To begin with, this pen writes smooth as butter, plain and simple. It has almost no resistance. However, this is mostly true for the medium nib.

I received the pen with a medium nib, which is a bit broad. I can confirm the questions of breadth of Waterman nibs, that is - the Waterman medium is wider than other mediums. Thus I bought (not changed - I didn't want to give up a great nib :P) another nib - a fine one.

The fine nib is a bit more scratchy and less buttery than the medium, puts out less ink, but still great to write with. It also makes that scribbling sound when writing, which the medium doesn't.

The filling mechanism is a standard European one, and I bought a screw converter that fits really tightly in the pen - more tightly than cartridges - which is great. The ink flow is fine. There are occasional hiccups when using the converter, but the pen is still new, and most of the time a bit of shaking can help the ink flow down better.

Conclusion:

To put it simply, this pen looks great and writes great.

Regarding the nibs, I would recommend not getting the medium, unless you like really broad lines. I felt that the medium nib was making me write large letters. Still, it can't possibly be more smooth than it is, which is the only area in which it is better than the fine. But that's expectable.

123 EUR is not cheap, but for a pen like this with a service like this - it's a bargain. To sum it up, as I said, it's not for everyone. It's probably suitable only for those of you who like modern design and heavy pens; for there surely are the qualities of Waterman Perspective. To those of you, I can only recommend this pen.

Following are a few photos, and a scan of a comparison of the medium vs fine nibs. (Excuse the quality, my camera is broken and all I have now is my cellphone camera)

post-70820-0-57687800-1307352640.jpg

post-70820-0-63902300-1307352656.jpg

http://www17.zippyshare.com/i/34496847/9415/Samples.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oliwerko

• Pauldraw

• Dr. Saleem Ali

• DJ1953

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why don't most modern Waterman pens have breather holes? Beautifu review, by the way :)

trpofapprobal.png

Excellent review of a very elegant pen. I have one in silver finish and definitely agree with your sentiments.

The Royal Pen: Interesting observation on breather holes! You are probably right - although if you squint real hard you could probably see a small breather hole in the Edson and Carene. But my Exceptions, Expert and Hemisphere definitely don't. Why? :hmm1:

Personally I think they look better without.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/Fahad_Mahmood/adf85b8e-ac76-49f5-94e8-b5173443175d_zpsdb9c20d3.jpg

"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life,

the whole aim and end of human existence" Aristotle

Thanks for the review! Unfortunately, the last pic (writing sample, I guess) doesn't open.

Edited by fabrimedeiros

Oh yeah, the picture was too big to attach with the other two. Here you go:

post-70820-0-64195500-1307468453.jpg

Re. the breather holes - in my opinion a breather hole would totally ruin the design of this nib, but I admit I was a bit surprised by it, and also by how hardly visible the slit was.

• 1 year later...

Great review of exactly the same pen I have. I agree very much with what you say about the fine nib, though I like it more than you do. I wonder about the price though. Mine was 127 € but came with a converter and an ink bottle included. However, as I got it as a Christmas present it might have been a special Christmas offer.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Your review was very helpful in many ways. I'm considering the rollerball version.

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/Bradley_064/th_Bradleyssignature.jpg

Thanks for this nice review.

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a pen I keep finding myself going back to look at on-line. Your review has been very helpful, thank you.

Ben

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got one like this, and it is wonderful to write with it. Very happy customer :happycloud9: A very accurate and complete review, thanks.

“Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.”

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

• 11 months later...

Hi, I know this is old topic but what can you tell me about the colour of your variation? This is not the blue obsession range is it?

I recently bought this pen in the same colour and it's a lot darker than the blue obsession hemisphere I own.
I was pleasantly surprised but it left be curious if it's a discontinued colour or something?

• 4 months later...

I agree with the full review at the beginning of this thread.

I have four of this model (all cost around £70-£80). Two of them I use as my day-to-day writing pens. The other two - the deep blue obsession and the light blue - I keep mint in my collection.

Out of all my pens, including some very beautiful and expensive models, these are among the very best writers (I have only used the M nib).

Well worth buying.

I was going to insert a photo but I cannot work out how to do it !!