Nakaya Dorsal Fin - Version 2

Jonst

Jon,

Thanks for the review. I recently purchased a Neo Standard with a BB nib, modified by John Mottishaw to a cursive italic. The size is equivalent to a Pelikan M1000. This is a great writing pen! I love the size and the quality! You can't go wrong with a Nakaya!

Regards,

Mike

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jonst

• mjchuang9

• reprieve

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Mike. I am sure the Neo Standard modified by John writes beautifully! I certainly agree that you can't go wrong with Nakaya.

Thanks young.1429. Yes, the Dorsal Fin is pretty large. I believe it is based on the extended Piccolo which Nakaya produce exclusively for Aesthetic Bay in Singapore but the result is that is not very piccolo!

Thanks Brian. I have to confess that I didn't add much creative input to this pen. I liked the picture on Nakaya's website so much that I simply ordered it to their design, but I haven't been disappointed!

Best wishes

Jon

I love Nakaya! I'm happy you're happy with yours!

That finish doesn't appeal to me -- my five Nakayas are all smooth and gleaming -- but it is a handsome pen, and I like that the "dorsal fin" prevents the pen from rolling off flat surfaces.

Use your Nakaya in good health!

ETA: When I say that the finish doesn't appeal to me, it doesn't mean that I can't appreciate its beauty. I just prefer smooth finishes. I meant no offense.

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Great review! I think this pen refers to a katana (samurai sword) and that finish really looks like a ray leather, which was used to make the grip of katana. The kimono and the box are also very similar, as we can see in those two websites http://www.ioffer.co...ng-Bag-66690451

http://www.katagear....20Sword___false

The minimalist japanese design is amazing!

Gorgeous Nakaya and I love its finish! It made my day!

Edited: Dear Jon,

Do you know what material this pen finish is made of?

Edited by fabrimedeiros

I love Nakaya! I'm happy you're happy with yours!

That finish doesn't appeal to me -- my five Nakayas are all smooth and gleaming -- but it is a handsome pen, and I like that the "dorsal fin" prevents the pen from rolling off flat surfaces.

Use your Nakaya in good health!

ETA: When I say that the finish doesn't appeal to me, it doesn't mean that I can't appreciate its beauty. I just prefer smooth finishes. I meant no offense.

Hi ethernautrix,

Thanks for your post and no offence taken! I don't expect my pen (or indeed any pen) to have universal appeal.

I love the look of the smooth urushi lacquered pens but when I handled some of them in Singapore a couple of years ago I found them too light and/or too small. The Dorsal Fin is perfect for me because of it's added size and weight.

I also love a lot of the maki-e designs (the whale and the wave = grail!) but they seem too flashy for me to use at work. I find the dark textured finish on the Dorsal Fin unobtrusive yet interesting, especially when in the hand.

Best wishes

Jon

Thank you very much for the excellent review and sharing pictures of this beautiful pen.

I really appreciate the shape of this pen! Very unique...

Enjoy :thumbup:

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/Fahad_Mahmood/adf85b8e-ac76-49f5-94e8-b5173443175d_zpsdb9c20d3.jpg

"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life,

the whole aim and end of human existence" Aristotle

Thanks fabrimedeiros. The core of the pen is ebonite and I believe that the surface is achieved with kanshitsu and urushi powders but don't ask me how!

Thanks for your kind words Dark Severus.

Best wishes

Jon

Thanks Inked, it is almost as beautiful as your Aka-tame-nuri version! I never imagined that they could make an urushi laquer version because I thought that the construction of the fin would be visible through the layers of laquer, but your pen proved me very wrong!

Thanks lacquerpen, I think Danitrio may also offer a similar "stone" finish but they don't do the fin.

Best wishes

Jon

Edited by Jonst

Thanks for a good review. I'm currently fiending to buy a second Nakaya or give a high end Sailor a try.

innovative and impressive. Well lacquered. What is the material used of the pen,metal,resin,or hard rubber?

Edited by mjchuang9

:notworthy1:

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

Thanks Bambuko. I have read good things about the Sailor King of Pen so I may also have to give one a try at some point.

Thanks mjcchuang9. The core of the pen is hardened natural rubber with powder and urushi lacquer to create the fin and surface texture.

Thanks lewis.

Best wishes

Jon

very original and nice pen thanks for sharing :thumbup: :puddle: :drool:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

WOW! :thumbup:

This is so far the most unique pen I've come across! Way way way above anything I could convince myself to pay for a pen but from the pictures it seems like its well worth the price!

Enjoy :)

snoww

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Dorsal fin ver.2 Aka-tamenuri with BB nib today. This is my first Nakaya. The pen is truly innovative and impressive. Write with confidence and feel the pen built solidly and delicately. BB writes with feedback and line variation(MB's BB is too stubbish for me). I wish I can post some photos later.

I got the Dorsal fin ver.2 Aka-tamenuri with BB nib today. This is my first Nakaya. The pen is truly innovative and impressive. Write with confidence and feel the pen built solidly and delicately. BB writes with feedback and line variation(MB's BB is too stubbish for me). I wish I can post some photos later.

Hi mjchuang9,

Congratulations on your Aka-tamenuri Dorsal Fin. Please do a review or at least post some pictures. I would love to see it.

Best wishes

Jon

please excuse, not in any way related to fp, but

dorsal fin - is the model in any way related to dorsal fin of marine mammals - whales?

thanks