What's Your Favorite J Series Color/size?

tweexcore

49 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite color?

2. 2. Favorite size?

Partly because I'm quite curious and partly because I'm having the hardest time what to buy for my first Esterbrook, and because everything looks so lovely and lovable, I want to hear your thoughts! Even if it is too hard to pick favorites...

And photos of your colorful collections, if you have them, are always fun! :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcpritch

• FarmBoy

• kathleen

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite Esterbrook has to be my father's black J. I love my father's pen for sentimental reasons. My favorite daily user is a beautiful, streaky Green J, usually inked with Diamine Sherwood Green, a very well behaved and lovely ink,. But I also like my blue, silver, red, and copper Esties. My copper is also streaky and resembles woodgrain. My silver LJ looks quite smart alongside my MacBook Pro. Sometimes I will carry a pen that matches my clothing for the day. I really love all my Esties! I voted for green but it was difficult to choose a favorite. These pictures should convince you, you will need more than one.

fpn_1307071482__dscn1485.jpg

fpn_1307071533__dscn1469.jpg

fpn_1307071605__dscn1497.jpg

fpn_1307072350__dscn1077_2.jpg

fpn_1307072826__dscn1142.jpg

Edited by kathleen

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

Well, here is my humble collection of Esties.

From left to right:

Green J, Black J - these two belonged to my grandmother and were restored to like new condition by Tyler Dahl [777]

Red J, Copper J, Blue LJ and Gray LJ. The Red J is fitted today with a 2284 nib and inked with vintage Waterman's Carnation Red ink (c. 1952) that I recently acquired from ToasterPastry, who was very kind to sell me some of his vintage ink. I like that the J and the ink were both made at essentially the same time, and both work marvelously sixty years later.

fpn_1307071960__esterbrook_pens.jpg

fpn_1307072294__esterbrook_j_red_2.jpg

fpn_1307072377__esterbrook_j_red_1.jpg

You can see a slight bend in the nib, in the last photo - Tyler Dahl straightened it for me (you should have seen it before he worked on it) and it is now one of the smoothest writing nibs I have, just a joy to write with.

As Kathleen said, you can plan on getting your first Estie, but soon you'll need another, then another, ... So, don't stress too much about which one to get first, just plan on having a few some day.

Cheers, DAVID

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

I definitely prefer the J size wise. As for color, it's a little harder to decide. I picked green because I've never seen a bad-looking green Estie, but some of the darker coppers look really fantastic.

dcpritch, love that ink in your red J, a beautiful match!

I also love to ink my Esties with vintage inks. Here is a picture of my Copper SJ with vintage Carter's Harvest Brown ink.

fpn_1307073175__dscn1261.jpg

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

kathleen, you can probably play at this game far longer than I (in fact, I only have one more vintage ink to show, but I ran out of room on the page). I agree with you, though, about matching Esties with vintage inks; here are four that match quite well, including the Carter's Harvest Brown you just showed. I just dipped these (except the Red, which is filled tonight) to show what they look like, but man, the vintage inks have just fantastic color!

fpn_1307075014__esterbrook_pens_-_vintage_inks.jpg

And a shout-out to ToasterPastry for getting me interested in vintage inks. If you've not seen his ink reviews, search his name in the ink forum and prepare to be amazed!

— Samuel Johnson

I can't find the 'all of them' button.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Check with "those kilt wearers in the Lamy forum," I think they have one. :P

— Samuel Johnson

kathleen, you can probably play at this game far longer than I (in fact, I only have one more vintage ink to show, but I ran out of room on the page). I agree with you, though, about matching Esties with vintage inks; here are four that match quite well, including the Carter's Harvest Brown you just showed. I just dipped these (except the Red, which is filled tonight) to show what they look like, but man, the vintage inks have just fantastic color!

And a shout-out to ToasterPastry for getting me interested in vintage inks. If you've not seen his ink reviews, search his name in the ink forum and prepare to be amazed!

VERY, VERY NICE. I love my Skrip Washable Emerald Green and I also have that Skrip blue. Another vintage ink I scored in a favorite, dusty, secondhand shop is Parker Quink permanent Red. It is very wet in my Estie with 9668 nib and feathers on inexpensive tablet paper, but the color is a true pie-cherry red.

fpn_1307078431__dscn1560.jpg

Check with "those kilt wearers in the Lamy forum," I think they have one. :P

Gasp.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

... Parker Quink permanent Red. It is very wet in my Estie with 9668 nib and feathers on inexpensive tablet paper, but the color is a true pie-cherry red ...

That is a great looking red ink, much more depth than the Waterman's (but maybe not as good at shading - I can't tell), and it really matches the red Estie nicely. Bravo!

— Samuel Johnson

Excellent Job David! love the matching ink-color coordination!

My personal favorite Esterbrook color and size would a be a red J. I like the blue but in my experience with restoring Esterbrooks the blues were usually much duller than the other colors. I've seen a few shiny blues but not many... The reds on the other hand all gleam like nothing else!

Here's a picture of my Red J right before I sold it. I was trying to fund another purchase...

It's a beautiful thing isn't it...

Edited by 777

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

My personal favorite Esterbrook color and size would a be a red J ... The reds on the other hand all gleam like nothing else! ... Here's a picture of my Red J right before I sold it ... It's a beautiful thing isn't it...

That is a great example of a red J. Second thoughts about that sale?

— Samuel Johnson

My personal favorite Esterbrook color and size would a be a red J ... The reds on the other hand all gleam like nothing else! ... Here's a picture of my Red J right before I sold it ... It's a beautiful thing isn't it...

That is a great example of a red J. Second thoughts about that sale?

Sometimes... unsure.gif Yes...

But I really want a Pelikan m800 so it had to go...

Now I'm just waiting for a deal... *sigh* wonder what's taking so long... rolleyes.gif Somebody's got an m800 they want to part with...

It was indeed a lovely example of a Red J though. The best color I've ever seen before in a red Esterbrook! puddle.gif

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

I voted blue J but I have red, green and blue. Right now, the red one with a 2668 nib is with me. (I might have to send the red one to 777 for scratch removal. ;) )

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5305/5621172352_9447f1c251.jpg

RGB Esterbrook Technology by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Edited by KrazyIvan

How about "Favorite" for the moment?

[Down and dirty backyard in the shade DroidX pic]

Bruce in Ocala, FL

RBA.jpg

I'm going with this one:

http://www.esterbrook.net/images/icicleprototype.jpg

<TWEEEEEEEET! 5 yard penalty for a flagrant posting of a display case queen!/>

:P

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Ooooooo!! Bruce, that is the prettiest Rootbeer Estie I have ever seen, so shiny. I like the looks of that ink too. I have a 9968 that Pendleton ground to a cursive italic for me when he visited the Kentucky Pen Club. Right now that nib is in my pretty Blue J. I completely understand why this is your present favorite.

It is so much fun to use our Esties; change out the nibs and play in all the pretty colors of ink.

I just received my newest nib a #9788, Flexible Medium. It feels really nice on the page and with only a slightly, deliberate change in pressure I am able to achieve some line width variation when using it. I put my new 9788 nib in my Dubonnet Red J and have inked the pen with Sanford's Penit Dubonnet ink, from a beautiful little diamond patterned bottle.

fpn_1307129559__dscn1562.jpg

<TWEEEEEEEET! 5 yard penalty for a flagrant posting of a display case queen!/>

:P

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I don't own a case specifically designed from glass and wood to display pens like someone I know. I use Swagelok boxes.

T