The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

One Of The Ten - Blue Inks

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 15:04

For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window, then change the FPN Theme from 'IP.Board' to 'IP.Board Mobile'.

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Gray Scale below.
As the patches are neutral gray, that is what you should see.

Mac http://www.wikihow.c...te-Your-Monitor
Wintel PC http://www.calibrize.com/

Gray Scale
Posted Image

_ -- || -- _

Hello,

I extend my thanks to Members who have proposed marriage, written verse and otherwise encouraged & cajoled me throughout the One Of The Ten series.

I believe the results speak to those who take the time to see what the inks are doing as they are used with different pens on different papers. Perhaps I am not the only one surprised by some results. (Or did everyone doze off?)

SAMPLES

It is well known and clearly understood that the ubiquitous swab leaves much to be desired. So I've re-scanned and cropped the NIB-ism samples to depict the down-stroke ↓ samples to show all inks from all pens, and save you the trauma of viewing my hand writing.

Pens:
Posted Image
L → R: Parker 51 Flighter + XF nib; Pelikan M200 + EF nib; Waterman 502 + some-flex № 2 nib; Sheaffer 330 + M nib; Estie + B nib; and the non-nudist Pink Safari + goosed 1.1 nib.

Diamine Imperial Blue
Posted Image

Herbin Eclat de Saphir
Posted Image

Montblanc Royal Blue
Posted Image

Noodler's Ottoman Azure
Posted Image

Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue
Posted Image

Pilot asa-gao
Posted Image

Private Reserve American Blue
Posted Image

Sheaffer Skrip Blue
Posted Image

Visconti Blue
Posted Image

Waterman Florida Blue
Posted Image

====

PERSONAL PICKS

This is an exercise that I often include in recent Reviews. It does require one to take a close look at each pen + paper combo, hence conveys a pretty fair idea of what I prefer in an ink's character. I encourage each person to give it a go. (And let's not everyone pick the Grocery List, OK? Or try to interpret the splatters on Royal as Rorschach inkblots. LINK)

Diamine Imperial Blue : from the 330, on the Rhodia.
Posted Image

Herbin Eclat de Saphir : from the 502, on the Rhodia.
Posted Image

Montblanc Royal Blue : from the Safari, on the Rhodia.
Posted Image

Noodler's Ottoman Azure : from the M200, on the HPJ1124.
Posted Image

Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue : from the 330, on the HPJ1124.
Posted Image

Pilot asa-gao : from the 502, on the Royal.
Posted Image

Private Reserve American Blue : from the 51, on the Royal.
Posted Image

Sheaffer Skrip Blue : from the Estie, on the Rhodia.
Posted Image

Visconti Blue : from the M200, on the HPJ1124.
Posted Image

Waterman Florida Blue : from the 51, on the HPJ1124.
Posted Image

====

Links to Reviews

====

Links to Comparisons

Includes reverse entries. e.g. A::B and B::A

Bye,
Sandy1

-30-

Tags: FPN Sandy1

Edited by Sandy1, 01 June 2011 - 17:53.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Sponsored Content

#2 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 8,902 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 15:07

Links to incidental Comparisons:

#3 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 15:24

Brilliant as always.

Thank you, will be checking in often.

#4 geoduc

geoduc

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:49

Thanks for tying it all together, S1. Your OOTT series was a major contribution; I appreciate all of the hard work that you put into it!

Thanks to your reviews, I've added one new blue (MBRB) to the rotation that I wouldn't have considered otherwise and decided that I didn't need a couple of other blues that I had been thinking about.

#5 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 8,902 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:26

Thanks for tying it all together, S1. Your OOTT series was a major contribution; I appreciate all of the hard work that you put into it!

Thanks to your reviews, I've added one new blue (MBRB) to the rotation that I wouldn't have considered otherwise and decided that I didn't need a couple of other blues that I had been thinking about.

Hi,

You're welcome!

It's encouraging that the series has achieved some tangible results: revealing an appealing ink, and keeping some inks out of exile. Perhaps there's some other lessons learned, other than the obvious 'Don't do pro forma Comparisons'. ;)

Bye,
S1

#6 ildbig

ildbig

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2011 - 00:36

Has anyone compared Ottoman Azure to Noodler's Blue (plain old Noodler's blue)? I can't tell the difference in a line-by-line, side-by-side comparison.

#7 sbruno33

sbruno33

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 18:40

Thank you, always enjoy your reviews. Which is tops in "majik"?
So the writer who breeds more words than he needs,
is making a chore for the reader who reads.
-Dr. Seuss

#8 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 8,902 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:13

Thank you, always enjoy your reviews. Which is tops in "majik"?

Hi,

You're welcome!

Ah - the Majik. Well, that can only be yours alone. So you must do the pick & choose!
:happyberet:

Bye,
S1

#9 MicheleB

MicheleB

A pen a day.....

• Member - Gold

• 1,065 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:26

Wow! A tremendous effort and wealth of knowledge. Your time is very much appreciated.
We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

#10 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

You do, indeed, only live once.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:07

So impressive. So much that I won't even make the light-hearted comments about being data-deficient. One of the things that floors me is the simple line test: assuming you didn't have 10 pens of each of those six different models, that is a hell of a lot of work to clean out each pen and re-ink it with the next candidate.

You do get out, right? :)

I so recently come to have a deep appreciation for how an ink can change personality in different pens, so I very much appreciate all of that particular effort. Am I correct in viewing the examples that the Ottoman Azure has a fairly high degree of shading? I haven't been looking for a new blue, but that certainly caught my eye (for that reason).

Again, thanks!
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#11 psrivats

psrivats

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 14:32

This is the best thread ever.

#12 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 8,902 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 14:52

snip

that is a hell of a lot of work to clean out each pen and re-ink it with the next candidate.

You do get out, right? :)

I so recently come to have a deep appreciation for how an ink can change personality in different pens, so I very much appreciate all of that particular effort. Am I correct in viewing the examples that the Ottoman Azure has a fairly high degree of shading?
snip

Hi,
You are right in that generating the Written Samples takes less time than cleaning the pens - they must be totally clean to use for subsequent Reviews. What one does not see is the effort to make samples from many pens in order to select the six pens used.

And I do get out plenty. :happyberet:

The aspect of inks' changing 'personality' is one of the key things that I try to portray - using common pens & papers. It can be used for by person with a certain ink to guide their choice of pen & paper, or to guide the choice of ink by a person using pen & paper in hand.

As for the NOA shading: Attractive shading can be generated or suppressed. e.g. The 330 on the HPJ1124 & Rhodia generated shading that was attractive, and not so extreme as to be distracting or make the use of shaped nibs a shaky proposition.

Bye,
S1

#13 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 8,902 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 14:59

:blush:
Thank-you.
Bye,
S1

#14 brahmam

brahmam

A cosmic wanderer!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2011 - 15:52

Honestly, this effort is worth a master's degree. I hereby confer the title of "TwINKling INKling" to the great Sandy! Sandy's fine and dandy work would come handy for generations. Of all the posts in this forum, Sandy's work is the Candy - as pristine as Mahatma Gandhi.

Great work! Hats off.

Warm regards,
Brahmam

:blush:
Thank-you.
Bye,
S1

Oh! my dear, dear Free-will!
Tell me really, "Will I ever be free?"
Allow me until my body becomes still,
To sacrifice as a still standing tree!
- Just another tumble weed!

#15 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 8,902 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:17

Honestly, this effort is worth a master's degree. I hereby confer the title of "TwINKling INKling" to the great Sandy! Sandy's fine and dandy work would come handy for generations. Of all the posts in this forum, Sandy's work is the Candy - as pristine as Mahatma Gandhi.

Great work! Hats off.

Warm regards,
Brahmam

Hi,

Many thanks for the kind compliments! :blush:

Bye,
S1

#16 Anne-Sophie

Anne-Sophie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:29

Ditto!
Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

#17 TWRDO

TWRDO

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 813 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:52

I'm not sure how I missed this final comparison of The Ten.

This budding inkophile, at least, has found these reviews and comparisons very enlightening and useful.

Thanks for all the time and hard work! :clap1:
Music, verily, is the mediator between intellectual and sensuous life, the one incorporeal entrance into the high world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend. -Ludwig van Beethoven

#18 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 8,902 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:32

This budding inkophile, at least, has found these reviews and comparisons very enlightening and useful.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I've carried forward the same basic format and approach to subsequent Ink Reviews. Other Blue inks are planned to be reviewed using at least a few of the same pens & papers used in the OOTT series. Rather than do pro forma stand-alone Comparisons, I'll only do them as I see fit and/or upon request. e.g. Sky High :: kon-peki. LINK

Bye,
S1

#19 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,643 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:50

Having tried a six pen, five paper ink review. I begin to understand some of the work involved.

I think I'll write the Queen and ask you get put on some sort of list. Many get there for just paying taxes.

In an attempt to limit the inks I buy, I'd cut it off with only French and German inks...those being local markets, and English Diamine being too large a selection.

I'm Ruined....when I go to the States in January; I'll have to drive across Virginia...I got an ink connection's County address. I've not done that Civil War battle as is. It's either that or have him mail it to General Delivery Mananas. At least gas is cheap in the States.

I need Noolder's Ottoman Azure. :thumbup:

I always knew I needed Visconti Blue, but here it shaded. So I need that paper too.

MB Blue is now needed.
I'll have to get Herbin Sapphire first, but it is tied with Diamine Imperial blue.

A great review 'of course'.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#20 indigirl

indigirl

talks to strangers

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 17:28

exactly what TWRDO said! :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

Sponsored Content

|