Ditching Clairefontaine...

I find with some pens the blank Clairefontaine paper may skip a bit... but lined or 5x5 work fine. it feels sometimes as if the blue lines create a little "grip" for the pen to lay down a nice line. I had a blank hardbound book once- and it was very skippy... the paper almost feels like it has a waxy coating to it when it is no lined.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jniforat

• KrazyIvan

• mcnoodle

a single sheet stuffed between a notebook page is too much to carry? Really? :embarrassed_smile:

It's not too much to carry. It's not always the most convenient thing to juggle when you are on the go. ;) In note taking mode, I'm writing incredibly quickly. Even an EF nib on CF paper has some dry time to it. Juggling a notebook in my hands while taking notes and then trying to blot requires a level of co-ordination I don't yet have. ;) The experience of using a FP is supposed to be a pleasure. I don't want to stress about my notes and smeared writing.

Now at home and in a controlled space, different rules apply. I've got a bit more time for paper/ink to dry and play nice. At a latter point in time, I may actually revisit this. Who knows? It's part of the fun. :)

I do pretty furious notetaking myself and one thing that helps is just leaving the sheet on the previous page and moving it forward as you move forward. Two sheets also helps but I have yet to try this in a mobile environment yet. I have not had to since my current one sheet method is working for me. :thumbup:

I've yet to start my first Clairefonatine notebook.

But you won't keep me away from my Rhodia. No way.

Chris B.

I'm a huge fan of all paper Clairefontaine, including their watercolour paper.

I've used the 6155 writing tablets for about 35 years and alternate pens often, and although I do notice some lag in drying with one or two inks, it hasn't effected my writing or created smears or caused any inconvenience.

So, like two other members, I'll trade ya. :)

CF paper just isn't economical enough for me to use, especially when Double A paper is so cheap, has enough tooth to give the nib something to work with AND is 22 lb/very bright white. The dry time is excellent and it's acid free...

Couple that with Miquelrius notebooks that are made to be FP friendly and suddenly my desire for CF at a premium price wanes. I'll still use it, but only if I can get it on clearance.

I love my Webbie and my Triomphe. The only ink I don't use on them is Noodler's Walnut, because it takes absolutely forever to dry on the page. But everything else dries quick enough for me, and I love the smoothness. I'm currently on the last two pages of my first Webbie and am about to crack open its replacement. And I write in it with many, MANY pen/ink combinations. Poor thing looks so messed up from all the colors... :)

I do not like writing on CF. To me, it takes the joy out of writing with a fountain pen. I've purchased some inexpensive journals at Staples and the paper is a joy to write upon. Each of my pens show their personality on this inexpensive paper, so no more 'spensive paper for me. :bunny01:

empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)

Must say this seems like a thread of heretics! How dare you all cast doubt over clairefontaine. (You can see me humming with my fingers in my ears so I can't hear any more of this).

One of the greatest days of my fountain pen life was when notemaker.com.au brought the range of clairefontaine into Australia. I just love the stuff. I have never had a skip or any problem with this paper (except the recycled stuff). I am wondering if there is a different stock floating around?

It is the perfect sheet for me.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

The secret to blotter paper is...

write with your wet juicy pens and inks on your fancy CF paper, stuff the blotter paper in the notebook/journal like you would stuff a piece of paper with other notes or whatever on it, then just shut the book. Blotted. Done. no big deal. open it and keep on going. you need to write more than one page at a time? stick your blotter paper (I use paper towels folded in half and cut to size) on the wet page, turn to the next page and keep on going! yee ha! nothing extra to carry around or keep up with.

Must say this seems like a thread of heretics! How dare you all cast doubt over clairefontaine. (You can see me humming with my fingers in my ears so I can't hear any more of this).

One of the greatest days of my fountain pen life was when notemaker.com.au brought the range of clairefontaine into Australia. I just love the stuff. I have never had a skip or any problem with this paper (except the recycled stuff). I am wondering if there is a different stock floating around?

LALALALAL - I agree with Pete - ALALALALA.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_l-tGz5aDDMs/TUAsyccTWNI/AAAAAAAAAlI/v8HRxDpoc6A/s1600/plug_ears.jpg

Damon Young

philosopher & author

OUT NOW: The Art of Reading

http://content.damonyoung.com.au/aor.jpg

LALALALAL - I agree with Pete - ALALALALA.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_l-tGz5aDDMs/TUAsyccTWNI/AAAAAAAAAlI/v8HRxDpoc6A/s1600/plug_ears.jpg

:roflmho: could be....maybe I got hold of some different stock altogether...same price tag tho~! :crybaby:

empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)

could be....maybe I got hold of some different stock altogether...same price tag tho~!

The Habana journals now use 85gsm instead of 90gsm. But aside from this, I'm not aware of any variations in paper for Clairefontaine. Every batch has been smooth, with no feathering or bleed-through.

(I'm an Exaclair 'featured writer', so this might look biased. But I was a Clairefontaine fan first.)

Edited by DAYoung

Damon Young

philosopher & author

OUT NOW: The Art of Reading

http://content.damonyoung.com.au/aor.jpg

Haha! This thread has gotten really funny! roflmho.gif I didn't expect it to go this direction... rolleyes.gif

Thanks for giving me a little laugh. All you CF fans can keep your eyes peeled for my notebooks. I'll be listing them FS soon. :)

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Haha! This thread has gotten really funny! roflmho.gif I didn't expect it to go this direction... rolleyes.gif

Thanks for giving me a little laugh. All you CF fans can keep your eyes peeled for my notebooks. I'll be listing them FS soon. :)

Regards,

maybe I should give CF another try~??? :roflmho: a reprieve~???? :roflmho:

I've noticed that Clairefontaine does seem to make ink take forever to dry. Having said that, I usually only pull out the 'good' paper when I have time to properly sit down and take my time writing so it's not really a major drama.

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

As a lefty, I hated the dry time on Clairefontaine papers- then I found out about Kleenex - and right after that - blotting paper.

My haiku:

Fountain pens seem to

Be extremely addicting.

I keep on buying.

I've never tried proper blotting but I'd be curious to know how it affects shading? Can you see a stucco sort of blotting pattern in the shading, the way you do with a crumpled/twisted tissue? Is there any shading left in the usual sense?