84 replies to this topic

#21 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 22:32

of course, i'm going to probably get a dot webbie, so i'm not totally complaining :D. I think if the HitList's came in grid and dots, along with double the pages, it would be the perfect notebook. as it stands, i still think HitList is my favorite :) :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

#22 KrazyIvan

KrazyIvan

Fountain Pen Sith Lord

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2011 - 22:33

a single sheet stuffed between a notebook page is too much to carry? Really? :embarrassed_smile:

#23 andru

andru

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 23:01

I've definitely experienced the skipping (90g smooooth) with a number of pens, including semi-flex Namiki Falcon (Waterman FB). If I'm very careful I can write without skipping with most pens, but ... I can't always be so careful. For a person who can't tolerate dry-starts/skipping I could not recommend Clairefontaine.

I've noticed that if I rub the paper first with my palm it helps considerably.

As to the long dry time and smearing, I'd be interested in trying blotting paper, but doesn't this detract from shading when using italic or flex pens? Or leave paler colours? The intense whiteness of the paper could help make up for it.

#24 stevlight

stevlight

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,095 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 23:04

Clairefontaine is too smooth for me also--also takes too long to dry.

I love Strathmore 400 drawing paper.
www.stevelightart.com

#25 fourseamer

fourseamer

Up and In

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2011 - 23:24

If anyone wants to donate their Clairefontaine or Rhodia paper, I'll gladly accept. :puddle:

#26 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,668 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 23:46

Skipping: None, never. As someone who writes exclusively with flex nibs, and dip pens, I cannot, in good conscience, say that has ever happened.

Smoothness and lack of control: I suppose with certain people, it would be a problem, with myself, it's mandatory. I want absolutely NO feedback from the nib or paper. My arm does the rest.

Hi,

Please pardon my edit, and added emphasis.

I think that your points are significant as to the suitability of Clairefontaine Triomphe for certain applications.

I do not often write with flex nibs / dip pens, mostly because they require a different manner (mechanics) of penmanship. I write quickly, and find it very frustrating if I slow to 'draw'. That's all on me. (I do practice a bit - though it doesn't show.) I can see that if a person writes more slowly, then the skipping may diminish.

I also prefer feedback from the nib - Is the little devil running on the sweet spot?

And if one goes for blotting paper, why not the pounce pot too?

I love the smell of gum sandarac in the morning;
smells like _ _ thinking.

Bye,
S1

Edited by Sandy1, 02 June 2011 - 00:23.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#27 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• FPN Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2011 - 00:38

I'm another willing to give a good home to any CF paper you want to get rid of. Drying time isn't a big issue for me and I love the way high saturation inks behave with my OB, BB, and stub nibs. :thumbup:

#28 Enai

Enai

Boo!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 00:49

Skipping on paper as smooth as Clairefontaine is probably due to a baby's bottom on the nib's tip more than anything else (it's really not the paper's fault). So CF paper is useful if you want to test a nib for baby's bottom.

I find CF/Rhodia paper to be "chalky".
I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark
"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick
"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?
I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

#29 beak

beak

R82105N

• Member - Gold

• 2,105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:53

When I took up the FP again last year, I was faced with a broad Pelikan nib and Clairfontaine paper (A4 pad) and I was out of control from the start.

The experience was like trying to drive a tiger tank at speed round an ice rink. Some of the smaller stapled notebooks were better in this regard, but I don't use CF any longer. One thing that I will say for the experience is that the effort required to control the pen on that surface paid off - if you can master that you can deal with anything.
Sincerely, beak. God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

#30 Thornton

Thornton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,062 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:53

I do enjoy my Rhodia notepads, but I do not like how the paper interacts with some of my drier inks. For example, after half a page of writing, any pen I have filled with Montblanc Midnight Blue starts to skip. This doesn't happen with this ink or other dry inks on Moleskine or Markings paper. It's not the end of the world, but it is irksome.
Posted Image"Instant Gratification Takes Too Long."-Carrie Fisher

#31 Chevalier

Chevalier

Discordian Pope

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2011 - 22:00

I never thought that there were people that aren't using blotting papers, because even the best paper can be ruined by our oily hands. There's usually no way around using blotting paper, when using real ink on the paper. At least if you want to get the best result.

Edited by Chevalier, 02 June 2011 - 22:03.

NerdTests.com says I'm an Uber Cool Nerd God.  Click here to take the Nerd Test!

The Truth is Five but men have but one word for it. - Patamunzo Lingananda

#32 blemt

blemt

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2011 - 22:21

a single sheet stuffed between a notebook page is too much to carry? Really? :embarrassed_smile:

It's not too much to carry. It's not always the most convenient thing to juggle when you are on the go. ;) In note taking mode, I'm writing incredibly quickly. Even an EF nib on CF paper has some dry time to it. Juggling a notebook in my hands while taking notes and then trying to blot requires a level of co-ordination I don't yet have. ;) The experience of using a FP is supposed to be a pleasure. I don't want to stress about my notes and smeared writing.

Now at home and in a controlled space, different rules apply. I've got a bit more time for paper/ink to dry and play nice. At a latter point in time, I may actually revisit this. Who knows? It's part of the fun. :)

#33 pmsalty

pmsalty

shamus

• Member - Gold

• 1,312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:46

I am a left-handed over-writer and I use Clairefontaine Triomphe for almost all of my letter writing. I have never had a pen skip while using it. I've probably used at least a dozen pens and just about as many inks on it and never have had the problems you have stated. Just an observation.
PMS
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

#34 Garageboy

Garageboy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,399 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:10

Skipping is usually with modern pens with baby bottom nibs

I use Diamine ink, so dry times is usually not an issue, with some Noodlers and PR inks, it does take a bit of time (esp Naples Blue/DC SS Blue)

#35 Lennart Wennberg

Lennart Wennberg

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2011 - 13:01

I'm very satisfied with Clairefontaine Triomphe, BUT I avoid using inks on it with a known long drying time, for instance Noodler's BP Black.

With inks from J.Herbin I have not had any problems with CF paper.

#36 Bookman

Bookman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 976 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 14:17

I carry a small Clairefontaine or Rhodia notebook in my cargo-pants pocket. I jot something in one every day. If I've experienced skipping or smearing, it didn't bother me because I don't remember.
I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

#37 ajk13a

ajk13a

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 14:52

It's amazing how a commonsensical solution always seems to work.

I love Clairefontaine paper, I love the 'greasy' aka silky smooth surface and its writing qualities. It doesn't bleed through or feather with most inks that I use - Diamine, R&K, MB, Noodler's and Waterman.

The Clairefontaine products have supported my attempts at Spencerian and flex writing with many pens Pelikan - Binderized and not-, Shaeffer, Waterman, Parker, Wall Eversharp, Swan, Esty and Conway Stewart.

Blotters are the thing and they were when I learned to write with a fountain pen in school 60 years ago. I too have cut blotters to act as book marks ( and to absorb errant ink). I use a rocker blotter when I am writing a lot and need to turn a page quickly. And I use Binder's whimsical "pin up' advert blotters from the past to remind me of what women used to look like..

If your pen skips or won't start, the nib is being held incorrectly or it needs tuning.

Please use Ockams Razor to whittle away all of the world shaking problems described in this blog.

Signed
A simple scribe and aging student of the writing arts.

Being a left-handed over writer, I agree with many of the points, but i am not giving up my Rhodia Circa Annotation paper. I write with a sheet of blotting paper under my hand to prevent bleeding. I have found that I have a similar experience with the HP 32# Presentation bond as well. The crispness of the written lines, coupled with the subdued nature of the printed lines keeps me coming back for more. For practicing my penmanship, nothing beats Seyes ruled paper.

#38 handwriter

handwriter

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 943 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2011 - 15:45

I am really glad I run into this thread cause I was having a similar problem. But in my case the culprit is not CF or any paper, but the pen. Or, to be more precise, the pens. Most of my pens are old ones, but I have a few moderns, and among them, some Waterman of the Man (or Le Man) series. They're trouble.
I was using paper that was great with my old pens (110 g/m2 printer paper) and I found that really annoying skipping problem. No with just one pen. A Man 100 in plain black finish, a Man 100 Opera and a Man 200. The three of them with that problem. So after a while I diagnosed insufficient flow and sent them to John Sorowka. Got them back yesterday. I have asked John to stub the M nib of the Man 200 and just open a bit the flow of the two Man 100. Well, the 200 came back just glorious, I really love it. It was by far the worst skipper. Never happened after it made it back from Oxford. Its two biggest companions are visibly better after John's tuning, but by no means perfect. One of these days I'll send them back to John again. I thought a lot about it and used these pens for hours, and asked John's opinion. Finally I came to the conclusion that the problem is that the tip of the nib of these pens is quite round-shaped. Too much for most papers. For me the most convincing test was that the skipping almost disappers with more absorbent, more textured paper.
The tip of most of my vintage pens is somewhat flatter. This give them some tooth, and they never skip, even if I use really glossy paper (like Oxford sheets, a pretty common brand over here). Stubbing the M nib cured the problem because it entails making the nib's tip flatter.
So you guys can just pick a different brand of paper, but I think I will have my nibs stubbed, even knowing that I will get little line variation with the F nibs of the two Man pens.
I'm a user, baby

#39 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• 3,405 posts
  • Location:Woodinville, WA (but my home will always be San Jose, CA)

Posted 10 June 2011 - 15:55

The only issue I have with CF paper is that it seems particularly sensitive to oils from my hands, resulting in frequent skipping at the bottom of the page (where there was none at the top.)

I try to have a note card or scrap of paper under the heel of my hand, which helps a lot.

Slow drying inks are an issue too, but I usually don't burn through pages fast enough to have too much trouble.

Regards, greg
Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

#40 Donald594

Donald594

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 17:05

I agree. 1) It's not cost effective for me as a high school student. 2) The ink takes forever to dry. Coupled with the fact that I'm a lefty, and it's terrible. 3) The slickness of the paper makes me loose control of my writing. There is more, but I got lazy.

[Sponsored Content]