The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Brahmam Leader

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ashishwakhlu

ashishwakhlu

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:45

Hi Friends,

I am reviewing a recent Brahmam Acquisition, the Orange and Black Celluloid Leader from Deccan pens.

Appearance and Finish - the pen is the classical Cigar Shape with black Striations running longitudinally along the orange celluloid, the two ends of the pen are black. The finish of the pen is very nice, all parts fit accurately together into a very pleasing whole
Posted Image
Posted Image
Size and Weight - this is a medium sized pen about a couple of mm shorter than the MB 149 and slimmer in girth, therefore substantial. but it is considerably lighter than the 149 as there are no brass parts. The pen measures 5 3/4 inches capped and 6.26 inches posted. It weighs 30 gm when full.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Cap - the cap end is black and has a white inlaid dot (simulating the famous white star), the clip is ball ended and bears the legend “Brahmam”. There are three cap bands, two thin ones bordering a wider band which are situated a little way above the cap lip. the cap has a small breather hole and also an inner cap.
Posted Image
Barrel - the section of the pen is black and has a flare above teh nib, it screws into the barrel end with 8 threads. Both the section and inner and outer barrel threads are of the usual Brahmam high quality. The material of the barrel is the same longitudinally striated orange celluloid. The end of the barrel has a black “cap” with another thin band, all the bands and clip are 12 kt gold there fore show no brassing despite the age of the pen. The quality of the material of the pen can be appreciated in the pictures. The Barrel bears the inscription “Brahmam pen” in silver coloured letters.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Filling Mechanism - the pen is an aerometric filler and holds 3 ml ink.
Nib and Feed - the feed is black ebonite and the 14 ct nib is handmade with engraving and and inscription saying “Brahmam” it is a fine point and not flexible but provides line variation on the downstroke (see writing sample). The line is very wet (8/10) which is surprising for a fine nib, there is a hint of feedback, all in all a very pleasurable writing experience.
I usually write with the pen posted and the cap posts firmly, despite its slim appearance the pen sits very comfortably in the hand.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Overall - well among the older pen companies in India Brahmam were at the pinnacle of the craft and this reflects in their pens, consequently the pens were expensive and sought after by connoisseurs. Deccan seem to have some of these which they let out occasionally. This is a piece of India’s pen making history and a lovely writing tool.
Enjoy

Edited by ashishwakhlu, 01 June 2011 - 03:47.

Sponsored Content

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,611 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:01

Congratulations Ashish. It is a nice pen, I have handled it. Jai recently wrote about the flat topped variant of this pen with a steel nib. Jai's post.

Hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#3 markiv

markiv

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:11

Love the material and the torpedo shape!
Thanks for sharing

Posted Image

#4 akrishna59

akrishna59

Dr. Verghese Kurien - Father of the White Revolution in India.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:16

dear ashish,

quite a nice pen and tks. for the precise review. hope that mb will not sue brahmam for the white dot on the cap. would you pls. add a word on how you got this pen?

rgds.

krishna.
ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

#5 ashishwakhlu

ashishwakhlu

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:54

dear ashish,

quite a nice pen and tks. for the precise review. hope that mb will not sue brahmam for the white dot on the cap. would you pls. add a word on how you got this pen?

rgds.

krishna.

Hi Krishna,

I bought it from Deccan

regards

Ashish

#6 fabiorr

fabiorr

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:39

Nice pen, and it might be one of the largest ink capacities for an aerometric pen.

Thanks for sharing!

#7 ashishwakhlu

ashishwakhlu

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 13:30

Nice pen, and it might be one of the largest ink capacities for an aerometric pen.

Thanks for sharing!

Yes, it is a surprising ink capacity due to the rather "fat" aerometric filler.

regards

Ashish

#8 floydee1

floydee1

Nervous? Nah! Just thinking.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 19:16

Very nice an impressive pen. You mentioned its a fine line nib, I'm curious to know the size nib. Could a size 40 or 45(?) be fitted on this? Its a great one.

F

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

#9 Taurean

Taurean

vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:42

Wow, this is one breathtakingly beautiful pen. Congratulations on a great buy.

Parker VS (rust)
Parker "51" aerometric (navy grey)
Sheaffer Snorkel Saratoga (burgundy)
Sheaffer Imperial IV Touchdown (green)

#10 ashishwakhlu

ashishwakhlu

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:26

Very nice an impressive pen. You mentioned its a fine line nib, I'm curious to know the size nib. Could a size 40 or 45(?) be fitted on this? Its a great one.

F

Hi Floyd,

the nib on this pen corresponds to a size 6, its section is not big enough for a 45 nib, by the way I have also acquired its twin, an eyedropper filler, I know, I know just plain old fashioned greed... :embarrassed_smile:

regards

Ashish

#11 floydee1

floydee1

Nervous? Nah! Just thinking.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 14:06

F

Hi Floyd,

the nib on this pen corresponds to a size 6, its section is not big enough for a 45 nib, by the way I have also acquired its twin, an eyedropper filler, I know, I know just plain old fashioned greed... :embarrassed_smile:

regards

Ashish

There's an eyedropper version? :headsmack: You shouldnt have told me. Now I'm really jealous. :puddle: One to add to my list...

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

#12 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 19:02

Agree this is a great looking pen. I especially like the design and materials. Very classic.

Sponsored Content

|