• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• algabatz

• richardandtracy

• icardoth

• diezysiete

The only fakes I have seen with any regularity sold on the web are Sonnets & Rialto's. Surprisingly I have never seen a faked Duofold.

I have never touched either of the faked types, and occasionally feel tempted to get one of each to write an article on them - but am left with the problem that 'Wouldn't buying one just be encouraging the faker's?', and 'It's illegal to knowingly buy a fake, regardless of motive.'.

This thread: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showforum=102 contains links to what is commonly known about fakes on the web.

Regards,

Richard.

Hi, I found this fake aerometric "Parker 51". Its have an inprint like the Vacus ones, near the ring, but I guess made with heat mark, not engraved. The nib is obviusly in steel, but I can´t remove the hood, neither with a heatgun, because its starts deforming. So I can´t appreciate all the nib and the feeder. The material of the hood and bodie I guess, is plastic, not lucite. The imprint onto the metal of the aerometric system replicate the Parker 51 leyend, but it looks poor quality. The arrow of the cap is longer than the regulars 51s and the gold content don´t looks "real". Here pictures (not good ones)

Regards!

Rodrigo

http://fotos.miarroba.es/me/cad3/2C4D5B588B324CFBA370324CFBA2E9.jpg

http://fotos.miarroba.es/me/cad3/274D5B586B354CFBA34F2D4CFBA2C9.jpg

http://fotos.miarroba.es/me/cad3/284D5B58482C4CFBA32B2E4CFBA2A6.jpg

http://fotos.miarroba.es/me/cad3/2D4D5B59A3204CFBA490334CFBA401.jpg

Hi, I found this fake aerometric "Parker 51". Its have an inprint like the Vacus ones, near the ring, but I guess made with heat mark, not engraved. The nib is obviusly in steel, but I can´t remove the hood, neither with a heatgun, because its starts deforming. So I can´t appreciate all the nib and the feeder. The material of the hood and bodie I guess, is plastic, not lucite. The imprint onto the metal of the aerometric system replicate the Parker 51 leyend, but it looks poor quality. The arrow of the cap is longer than the regulars 51s and the gold content don´t looks "real".

I also bought a fake burgundy Parker 51 very similar to yours. Same imprint, same long arrow clip, same deformation when trying to unscrew the hood with a hair dryer. But I did remove the nib by simply pullying from it. It's a flat nib, not tubular as it should be. Not gold at all, it seems to be brass. And it's marked "MONVIAL".

The cap seems to be fake also. The jewel was missing, and I've destroyed the inner cap when trying to unscrew the clip screw. This inner cap was made in a white cheap plastic.

I got a fake Sonnet on e-bay. It looked genuine but there was something about the nib, it was marked as gold but stuck pretty well to a magnet. I got a refund with no problem but does make you wonder.

Hi,

I have a fake GP Sonnet set wasn't aware it was fake until some time after I bought it, the gold looked a bit too shiny and was rough in places, having said that it actually writes pretty well.

I have also heard of the fake Rialtos but not seen one, wasn't aware of any other fakes although the Duofold seems an obvious choice, I actually thought I had a fake Duofold cap actuated BP (picked up for £2 on ebay courtesy of a bad picture but it actually turned out to be genuine.

Andy

I am pretty sure the Custom Insignia's from the mid nineties and long discontinued are fakes. They are popping up on ebay with alarming regularity being sold by jewelers and others. These were as scarce as hens teeth 18 months ago and now you can't give them away there are so many of them.

I am pretty sure the Custom Insignia's from the mid nineties and long discontinued are fakes. They are popping up on ebay with alarming regularity being sold by jewelers and others. These were as scarce as hens teeth 18 months ago and now you can't give them away there are so many of them.

Maybe someone found a stash. Like Cromwells red band 51's or the boxes of NOS first year Jotters found a few years back...

I've had similar thought regarding the burgundy oversize Vacumatics.I looked for one for fifteen years and nowadays there are two on eBay on any given day.

Vacs are too complicated to fake though, I suppose. Only the Vac-banded might be worth the effort...

/T