Sailor Musc Nib

mspence

Hi There,

This is my first post, so forgive me if I am asking this question in the wrong place. I have read many good things about the Sailor pens, but they have always been out of my price range. Recently, however, I have seen some 1911s on sale, so I have been dong more research. My question relates to the music nib. I have a fairly small handwriting style, and I usually like a finer point, but the music nib seems to accommodate a range of styles, and this appeals to my artistic side (the zoom nib is also appealing, but I worry that this might be too much for my novice status). Could anyone give me some advice about the music nib, and the zoom, if you don't think it would be too much to handle?

I've attached a picture of my handwriting, so you can have a sense of how large or small my writing is.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mspence

• Sandy1

• Albertine

• MrsGouletPens

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I used the Pilot MS nib for Written samples in a few of my Ink Reviews. That might give you an idea of the worst possible results.

To me the MS nibs are merely wide Stubs - I see no particular attraction beyond that. In my dreadful hand, they can be a bit 'tippy', resulting in uneven pressure across the mammoth 'sweet spot', hence uneven line density / width.

IIRC, a Member mentioned having their MS nib re-ground to a Cursive Italic, and considered that to be an improvement. But 'horses for courses'...

I also have a Zoom nib; and use it more for illustrations than for text.

Bye,

S1

Ink Review: Sailor Jentle Sky High https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/195764-sailor-jentle-sky-high/

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I think your handwriting is wonderful! It has a distinctive style to it that I really enjoy.

So basically, the music nib is nothing special, and you only use the zoom for illustrating. What nib do you have in your 1911, then? Do you like that pen?

Thanks.

My advice is to check out the reviews of sailor music nibs here on the FPN, and of music nibs in general.

I bought a music nib before I did this and really struggled with it. Then I looked up the reviews and discovered why.

My advice is to check out the reviews of sailor music nibs here on the FPN, and of music nibs in general.

I bought a music nib before I did this and really struggled with it. Then I looked up the reviews and discovered why.

My husband Brian just ordered a 1911 demonstrator with a music nib... it should arrive this week. He's a sucker for music nibs and italic nibs. I'll tell him to post here once he tries it out (or better yet, do a video review on it!). :thumbup:

I think your handwriting is wonderful! It has a distinctive style to it that I really enjoy.

So basically, the music nib is nothing special, and you only use the zoom for illustrating. What nib do you have in your 1911, then? Do you like that pen?

Thanks.

Hi,

As these things go, I have two 1911 pens, one with the Music (MS) nib, the other with a Zooooom nib.

I really like the pen! Its short enough I can use it posted; great build quality; strong clip; excellent ergonomics for my hand, (a Parker Sonnet is my office work horse). Both nibs are just a tad wet - which suits those nibs, as they want to deliver a lot of ink.

Also this thread for the MS nibs : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/169539-sailor-sapporo-broad-vs-music-nib/page__p__1696700__hl__%2Bsandy1+%2Bmusic__fromsearch__1#entry1696700

And the ZzzzzzooooommM nibs: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/185742-zoom-nib/page__p__1874474__fromsearch__1#entry1874474

Thanks for the compliment on my hand. :blush:

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Thanks for pointing me to those threads. I read through both, and I am now thinking that neither nib would be ideal for me because what I am after is a good-lloking pen with an effortless, smooth stroke--no skipping or scratching. So, since my current pen is a Lamy Safari with a fine nib, would I still consider the Sailor 1911. And if so, would the medium nib offer that smooth feel?

Thanks.

:W2FPN: If you have a small handwriting, to use a music nib could be a problem. I really like wide nibs (broad italics, stubs), however my handwriting is a medium to large size. I've been using those nibs everyday, and it's hard for me come back to medium or fine nibs. If you could change your handwriting to a larger size, maybe you might enjoy a music nib.

I write fairly small, but have found that by using large nibs I am forced to write larger and, in so doing, my handwriting improves. I recently got a Sailor Profit 1911 (large) with a Music nib that was ground to a stub by Mike Masuyama, and it is a wondrous instrument! Smooth, with perfect flow and great line variation. I also have a Sailor Sapporo with a Zoom nib and one with a MF nib, and I like them, too, but the Masuyama Music nib is just the best (IMHO). Here is a writing sample from a few weeks ago when I was selling my little Sapporo Mini, showing the differences (written on a Rhodia pad - no bleed through)

fpn_1306850375__sailor_sapporo_mini_sample.jpg

Edited by dcpritch

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Hi and :W2FPN:

I have the Sailor Music nib on a Realo.

It is a very broad Italic like nib. (something like 1.3 mm)

It lais down a very wet line. It is too pronounced for my dayly notetaking, especially in the printing/copy-paper I normally use. It easily bleeds. I have not used it yet on Clairfontaine paper. It should behave beter on that type of paper.

Edited to add: Sailor is a Japanese brand, so you would do best posting questions in the Japanese subforum.

D.ick

Edited by RMN

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

My Sailor Professional Gear originally had a music nib. I agree with all the comments above, plus I found that it had to be held at too high an angle to be comfortable for me. I hold my pens at about a 60-degree angle, and my music nib required an almost 90-degree angle. (Perhaps because music nibs are for writing on an upright page on a music stand?)

It was an interesting experiment because I was very curious about music nibs. After about a month of trying to get used to it, I sent it to Richard Binder, who reground it to an awesome 0.8 mm cursive italic that works beautifully at the angle I naturally hold the pen, and it makes my natural handwriting look much better than it deserves.

Different strokes. :thumbup: Others' mileage may vary!