The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Fpn Database Restored After Crash

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
158 replies to this topic

#141 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,044 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2012 - 14:52

Good heavens, the software really does get stroppy at the end of May, doesn't it? I join the happy chorus of thanks to the admins for what was not doubt a horrid struggle with uncooperative technology. :notworthy1:

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Sponsored Content

#142 Tumbleweedtoo

Tumbleweedtoo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 14:58

How old are the postings I am reading? The last dated posting above the ones posted "Today" is Posted "03 June 2011 - 01:43 AM." It appears I am adding to a post almost a year old???? Or, am I going crazy or something???

Great to have FPN back!

All the best,
T

#143 writingrav

writingrav

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2012 - 15:03

Thanks for all your efforts. We are very appreciative of your return.

#144 Crash LT

Crash LT

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2012 - 15:06

Oh man I am so happy to see FPN back online, I hope the loses weren't too catastrophic. Unfortunately, this similar event occurred at another community site I participate in about 10 years ago.

#145 lsj

lsj

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 15:15

I'm a newer member, but I was really missing your great forum. Glad you got it all sorted. Best of luck in the future.

#146 nightwing

nightwing

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2012 - 15:41

Thank you for bringing FPN back to life! I've certainly missed it.

Also, I just remembered that I had installed the "Lazarus" plug-in for my Firefox, and sure enough, all my posts were stored for re-posting. It's a great plug-in.

That's a neat plug-in; I'll check it out. Thanks for sharing!

#147 WOBentley

WOBentley

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2012 - 16:11

I don't care that this is a year old post that we are all responding too...similar situation and another example of the hard work and dedication that our admins devote to the forum. I greatly appreciate their efforts! I think my tremors and drooling are starting to subside now! For the admins: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

Edited by WOBentley, 01 June 2012 - 16:12.

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

#148 jra81

jra81

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2012 - 16:12

I thought I had something wrong with my browser and I got nobody to ask was this site really down or not. Luckily the site is back :)
I like the smooth aluminum surface of Platinum Plaisir...

#149 CaptainGroovy

CaptainGroovy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Location:St. Somewhere Northeast of Disorder, or Rockville Maryland
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2012 - 16:18

To the people who make the FPN what it is Thank You for all the hard work. Database crashes can sometime make grown men and women cry and cause normally sane people to beat their head into the side of a server rack until large knots are formed. I know finding the Gremlins that cause a databases to Burp, Belch, and Emit Flatus with or without flakous, can be harder to track down than a Sasquatch on a moonless night. I understand their comes a time in the reconstruction of data that you need to quit cutting bait and need to Fish. Your report sounds like very little data was lost and I commend you all for a job well done, I know I have lost far more information in much smaller databases before. Again I what to thank everyone who helped in help bring the FPN back on-line
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety

Benjamin Franklin

#150 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2012 - 16:18

Many thanks for all your hard work!
First I thought it was my dorky old computer & my ancient OS.
When my wife could not find FPN on her account (& her flashy new computer), we knew something was up.
Glad to have you up & running again.
Cheers:
tinta
*Sailor 1911-M, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Professional-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c.factory "H-B" *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm stubs (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. stub (PB) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

#151 funkypeanut

funkypeanut

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 16:22

Yay, welcome back FPN! Thanks to the admins for getting it up and running again. :clap1:

#152 mrsphotobug

mrsphotobug

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2012 - 16:36

Thanks so much for bringing the site back up. I panicked and thought it went away permanently. As one whom used to work in IT, I know all the work required to get this thing up and running. THank you, thank you, thank you! :notworthy1:
Pelikan M605, Blue Demo M205, Red M205 * Parker Frontier, 45, Sonnet, Duofold * Waterman Expert II, Phileas * Cross Century II, Solo, Matrix * Sheaffer Statesman, Touchdown

#153 gweddig

gweddig

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2012 - 16:37

To those who say this is an old topic: FPN has been down for a year! DOUUME! [Start creepy music.]

Edited by gweddig, 01 June 2012 - 17:35.

#154 SheilaM

SheilaM

Parrot Wrangler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2012 - 16:41

To those who say this is an old topic: FPN has been down for a year! DOUUME! [Start creepy music.]

Well, it felt like a year...and the beginning of this thread is a year old...unless the outage involved a time warp of course! (Dang you, Tim Curry, get outta my head!). :roflmho:

Glad to see it back up and running, and will be curious to know the reason.
"Expect a most agreeable letter, for not being overburdened with subject (having nothing at all to say), I shall have no check to my genius from beginning to end." --Jane Austen

Posted Image
My blog: Does This Pen Make Me Look Fat? Twitter: @penfatness Instagram: sheilamcl Pinterest: SheilaM

#155 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,909 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 16:43

Drat. I still can't get in.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#156 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

You do, indeed, only live once.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 16:47

Neither can I. I can hear Ethernautrix, but I can't see her.
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#157 daoud62

daoud62

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2012 - 18:20

Thanks for everything you did to get FPN back up and running. I didn't know what to do with my down time. :embarrassed_smile: I was in contact with two fellow members, and we were all worried. Glad that all the worrying was baseless.

#158 gentlyom

gentlyom

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2012 - 18:57

Thanks for all the hard work to resolve the crash. So nice to have the board back on. :cloud9:

#159 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,180 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2012 - 19:41

There was no crash, just a technical hitch due to an oversight of mine, actually. Unfortunately this had to happen when I wasn't reachable for two days :D.

It was a 30 second fix... :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Sponsored Content

|