Why Go Past Waterman Inks?

AndrewThomas

My view: to my knowledge, no credible reports exist of Waterman inks being anything but perfectly well-behaved and safe. The same can be said for most every other fountain pen ink commonly (or uncommonly) available.* If you don't feel you need ink with extra bells and whistles, you will find that Waterman is perfectly serviceable. If you like it, use it to your heart's content.

The only corrroded nibs I have are (2, steel) watermans that were never filled with anything but waterman cartridges. Any ink can damage a pen, and waterman ink is more acidic than many. For some reason only certain brands get attacked as "dangerous" when in reality there is no ink that can be left in a pen indefinitely without some kind of problem (clogging, staining, corrosion, etc.). The same habits that make one ink safe make any ink safe.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mstone

• fabrimedeiros

• Trebster

• Gobblecup

Top Posters In This Topic

I mostly use Quink Blue/Black, but have had good luck with the Waterman B/B as well. Recently, I've tried a couple of Diamine inks- B/B and Twilight- and like them (I guess you can tell I have a distinct preference for Blue/Black shades). I was interested that you noted how Diamine seems a little "dry" compared to Waterman, as I've observed the opposite in terms of how Diamine performs in my "51"s vs. the usual Quink. Comparatively speaking, I've noticed the two Diamine's seem to be "wetter" than my usual Quink; not enough to annoy me about the Diamine, but nothing that makes me want to stop keeping Quink as my "standard".

If you can convince SamCapote of this, he'll save enough money to bail out the US debt.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I like Florida Blue, but their Blue-Black leaves something to be desired. I have the Parker version, which is identical, and it comes out nice but I dislike how it starts turning teal after a little bit. Plus, the lack of any water resistance is also disappointing.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

Different strokes for different foiks?

I have a hard time reading this as anything but a rhetorical question.

Agreed. It's like asking "why buy brand X when Y is a perfectly fine pen?"

One of the things that persuaded me to join after lurking for a long while was the fact that members are generally very respectful of the preferences of others. Yeah, yeah, there are exceptions (*cough*, I'm looking at you, BSB safety threads :rolleyes: ), but for the most part, people are cool with difference.

I use Waterman inks because those were the inks I was first exposed to. Florida Blue, Havana and Violet are in my permanent rotation. I also have Noodler's, Iroshizuku, Herbin, Caran d'Ache, Parker, and Private Reserve. There's way too many colors out there to restrict myself to one brand, ever.

I like Florida Blue, but their Blue-Black leaves something to be desired. I have the Parker version, which is identical, and it comes out nice but I dislike how it starts turning teal after a little bit. Plus, the lack of any water resistance is also disappointing.

Hello Derek and all,

I had been an ardent advocate for Waterman inks for many years, (and in a way, I still am); however, after being exposed to the rainbow of reliable alternatives offered by Noodlers, Diamine, J. Herbin and others, the bloom on Waterman's rose doesn't look as crisp as it used to. They still have their bloom- it just is a tad bit wilted now with everything else that is available out there.

I wish Waterman would come out with some new colors; however, I seriously doubt they will- in fact, I predict they will be deleting colors before adding any. I think the "powers that be" at Newell-Rubbermaid see fountain pen users as a very small niche group that reflect a market that isn't worth expanding the R&D budget for.

I used to like the tealish hue WMbb & Qbb used to take on when they oxidized; however, it doesn't grab me as much as it used to. I've come to really enjoy the look and performance of Diamine Twilight; mind you, I'm still loyal Quink Permanent Blue and Aurora blue. But if I'm in a "new wave" mood, I'll gladly reach for Noodler's Eel Blue or Everflo blue-black.

All the best,

Sean :)

Edited by S. P. Colfer

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

I mostly use Quink Blue/Black, but have had good luck with the Waterman B/B as well. Recently, I've tried a couple of Diamine inks- B/B and Twilight- and like them (I guess you can tell I have a distinct preference for Blue/Black shades). I was interested that you noted how Diamine seems a little "dry" compared to Waterman, as I've observed the opposite in terms of how Diamine performs in my "51"s vs. the usual Quink. Comparatively speaking, I've noticed the two Diamine's seem to be "wetter" than my usual Quink; not enough to annoy me about the Diamine, but nothing that makes me want to stop keeping Quink as my "standard".

Hello Bill, et al,

I'm going to have to lay down with a cold cloth on my head... because I find Quink more lubricated than Diamine. I'm so confused! :huh:

All the best,

Sean :D

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Let's all pull together and form a huge voting bloc and outlaw all inks except for one standard government issued black! :ph34r:

Then, we will do the same for pens!

Then, we'll create a standard dress code, standard car, house...

It will be great! :bonk:

I guess us people just like choices and the chance to be different. This may not be a rational need, but its there.

Companies realize this, and create choices, just for the sake of having choices.

Many companies create many sub-brands and products just because people need a chance to choose and be different and express their taste and style.

Fountain pens ~ a stream of consciousness flowing effortless onto paper.

The same habits that make one ink safe make any ink safe.

Agree, agree.

Practicing safe fountain pen maintenance/hygiene is the bottom line.

Edit: Rumors of problems and sporadic reports that Parker Penman ink plugged pens sunk the Parker Penman ship, and with it, Penman Sapphire. All these years later, none agree on the performance merits or faults of Penman. Many report hassle-free use to this day. Others report problems of varying degree. Some say it was only Penman Ebony. Other credible people wash(ed) their hands of all the Parker Penman line. Rumors about ink are unfortunately a common coin of the community. The only great certainty is if you really want your Precious to be 100 percent safe, never fill it with anything, ever.

Edited by Trebster

It is a good question and that is precisely the reason I read FPN, to get instruction, to find relevant information. Since I read here Mr. R.Binder one or two years ago that the best flowing ink was watermans I blindly follow his advice. Of course I have others preferences too like Skrip and pelikans. I love to see Noodlers bay state blue but not opinions definitely established, or what about the organic molecular structure of j herbins and its proclivity to descompose in the bottle nothing established and I say this because what a beautiful pigment saturations in those inks i would like to buy but....

Shading, saturation, and color choice. Don't get me wrong: I like Waterman inks, but they don't satisfy all of my ink needs.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I have three inks: Diamine Black, Waterman Black, & Waterman Blue-Black. The latter two flow nicely, are pleasant, dry quickly, and look nice. The former is dryer and makes the two pens I have (Parker Frontier and Sheaffer 330 [granted, not the most expensive pens, but the Sheaffer is quite decent] skip. Further, I've heard people here quote Mr. Binder as suggesting that Waterman inks are the least troublesome.

So my (somewhat provocative) question: Why use anything but Waterman inks?*

*Unless you are writing checks and need a 150% waterproof ink, which frankly is quite rare.

If you like an ink, stick with it. Waterman inks are typicaly the inks people (on FPN) will suggest to someone who wants a reliable and good-flowing ink. "If it won't write with Waterman Blue-black, it won't write". Richard Binder has used it as his "shop ink", meaning it's the ink that he and Jim Baer use when they work on pens. The last time I saw Ron Zorn, he was doing his magic and filling pens from an old Quink art deco bottle, but the ink looked remarkably like Waterman Blue-black.

There are many other inks that are bursting with color (or blackness?), and that are superb, quirky, smooth, dry, beautiful, ugly, startling, etc. Ultimately, ink is ink. Waterman is good enough. I like Diamine Sapphire and Penman Sapphire, but that's ater I've tried a couple dozen types of blue and some blue-black. Like a Lamy Safari or Waterman Phileas in pens, Waterman inks probably won't cause you to sing in your sleep, but won't cause you to groan, either. As safe as a blue button-down shirt from LL Bean.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I have used fountain pens for a long time and mostly used Sheaffer, Parker and Montblanc inks, because that was what local stationers carried. That's one good reason to buy other than Waterman inks.

I guess there's no reason not to use Waterman inks other than that I would have to go out of my way to buy them.

I don't see that much difference between the different inks I have used. The ones I have on hand suit my purposes well, and so there is no reason to acquire anything else, and the stuff I have will last a long time.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Waterman ink is fine, but so are a lot of other inks. Why should I limit myself to one brand?

I have three inks: Diamine Black, Waterman Black, & Waterman Blue-Black. The latter two flow nicely, are pleasant, dry quickly, and look nice. The former is dryer and makes the two pens I have (Parker Frontier and Sheaffer 330 [granted, not the most expensive pens, but the Sheaffer is quite decent] skip. Further, I've heard people here quote Mr. Binder as suggesting that Waterman inks are the least troublesome.

So my (somewhat provocative) question: Why use anything but Waterman inks?*

You ask a good question. One could certainly be happy writing everything with Waterman's blue-black. It is an extremely respectable ink which can be easily flushed from a pen. As others have mentioned, it comes down to personal taste and/or a desire for variety, but I must say that I have never associated ink with the concept of boredom. I may be one of those odd individuals who are never bored, and I cannot, especially, imagine being bored by an ink color, and telling someone about it. I may not be interested in reading or writing about a particular subject, for example, but the ink color would not have an affect.

Stating that a particular ink is 'boring' is useless information as far as I am concerned. Expressing boredom seems to be in vogue, like using the words 'literally' and 'impacted' (often incorrectly).

BTW, your Sheaffer 330 is, indeed, a well-made fountain pen. It is one of a great number of excellent, inexpensive fountain pens that have been manufactured over the years.

Regards, Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

I just wanted to add for those in the USA having trouble getting Waterman inks, I recommend Jet Pens online. They give free USPS Priority shipping on orders over $25, and they carry the whole current Waterman ink line, along with a few other brands. (EDIT... I am only a happy customer, no other affiliations of course!)

There are plenty of things to admire about Waterman inks, I particularly like their bottle design; classic and functional. The list goes on. But the idea of only using one ink brand or one ink will seem ludicrous to most inkophiles. If Waterman would bring back their old Blue Black, from say the 30s - 50s, the real permanent blue black, I would probably become a much bigger Waterman ink fan! :thumbup:

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~

I do enjoy Waterman South Sea Blue, but otherwise, not keen on the limitations of colours in their range. Diamine do a much wider spread with very similar characteristics.

I love Waterman inks...well behaved in all of my pens, no issues, perform well. You do not have to "go beyond" Waterman inks. But of course you don't have to go beyond Hamburger every night for dinner either...but I love Shrimp (prawns) and lobster and crab on occasion too.

Not to be too cheeky...I love my Kon-Peki...and all the other inks available. Otherwise I could just write with a Ballpen or rollerball.

Shading, lubricity, color...all are important to me. Do I need them though...nope. Is life better with them...yup!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

The only corrroded nibs I have are (2, steel) watermans that were never filled with anything but waterman cartridges. Any ink can damage a pen, and waterman ink is more acidic than many. For some reason only certain brands get attacked as "dangerous" when in reality there is no ink that can be left in a pen indefinitely without some kind of problem (clogging, staining, corrosion, etc.). The same habits that make one ink safe make any ink safe.

I must take issue with that last statement.

In fact it is very well documented that there are certain inks which require more frequent maintenance than others to prevent problems. BSB which would be an extreme example but there are many others.

Edited by framebaer

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN