Lamy Al-Star

HDoug

Beautiful photos and handwriting! I'm kind of amazed by how you're able to write in a straight line on blank paper!

I don't have any Al-Stars myself, but I have two Safaris. I love the design of these pens, so I now think the next one I get will be an Al-Star. Perhaps the purple or the graphite...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HDoug

• river1

• effika

• radellaf

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful photos and handwriting! I'm kind of amazed by how you're able to write in a straight line on blank paper!

Actually, on the last photo, I cheated by using guidesheets under the page (at 4 lines per inch). I'm in the process of making a literary project in a journal using the Honnecourt page layout format and I am using my journal to practice and get used to writing in that way. I could already write fairly straight without lines after practicing it.

I think practice is the key to proficiency in almost everything. The last few percent of mastery may be a matter of good fortune, education, training, and genetic predisposition, but most people can attain a certain degree of mastery by continual, conscientious practice. At least I hope so!

Doug

The problem with this post #23 is that by now everything has already been said - absolutely superb review.

The only thing I don't like about the Al-star is the ink window which lacks the very nice bevelling of the safari - now that's being really picky.

edit: haha wrong post number.

Edited by streeton

• 2 weeks later...

Nice review - as has already been said. I've always avoided these pens as being too 'cheap' but pretty much every time I've seen them mentioned here people always state how great they are...

A lovely review, and will be ordering one or two very soon - the reason I got sold on them now is the awesome handwriting! If I don't write as beautifully as that when I get mine, I'll be sorely disappointed tongue.gif (only kidding!)

"The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pens: Parker Jotter (black), Parker Frontier (M), Rotring Core Balium (XL), Sheaffer Prelude (M)

Inks: Yard-O-Led Blue/Black, Parker Quink Black and a vintage Quink Blue

Next pen: Varuna (Kavi, Rajan or Gajendra)...

The Bauhaus dictum is : "Form follows function".

Great review and your handwriting is an inspiration. Thanks.

Pens (so far...): Lamy AL-Star, Lamy Vista, Lamy Accent, Monteverde Regatta

Inks: Sheaffer Skrip Blue, Lamy Blue-Black, J. Herbin '1670' (My FAVORITE)

IMG_0673%252520copy.jpg

Awesome post! I love my Al-Star so very much. It is always inked and placed in my pen roll to be with me at all times. The ocean blue one is absolutely stunning, I must have one!

Finally, a place where being obsessed with pens and paper is the norm...

HD, those are the neatest written notes i've ever seen... the pens are nice too!! ;)

• 2 months later...

just wanna point something out!

yeah they're nice pens and all... but your writing is bloody beautiful!!

+1 ..do you use a lined paper underneath your written page to keep those lines so straight? I think I must be cockeyed :blink:

Actually, on the last photo, I cheated by using guidesheets under the page (at 4 lines per inch). I'm in the process of making a literary project in a journal using the Honnecourt page layout format and I am using my journal to practice and get used to writing in that way. I could already write fairly straight without lines after practicing it.

I think practice is the key to proficiency in almost everything. The last few percent of mastery may be a matter of good fortune, education, training, and genetic predisposition, but most people can attain a certain degree of mastery by continual, conscientious practice. At least I hope so!

Doug

nevermind Doug, I just noticed your later post about guidesheets. The paper that I use must be too dense or the lined paper too faint because it is hard to follow.

river1, hereʻs a photo which shows the guidesheet underneath:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5076/5806641104_bc0130f53d_z.jpg

Doug

Doug

Yes. I hope so too! Now in my (middle-age number) I'm trying to learn to write again...this time with the most beautiful thing I've ever seen -- a Fountain Pen.

Do you have any pictures of how you hold the pen? That seems to be the key.

Join my Flickr Groups Staples Arc

Your Paper Spaces Photos

Blog Paper Spaces

I donʻt have any of myself, but itʻs a standard "tripod" grip like these guys (gals mostly actually) holding their quills. Iʻm still constantly making little adjustments to my grip -- there are a tremendous number of variations possible with all the joints in our arms/wrists/fingers etc! But the main thing I try to remember is keep everything light and relaxed. No tension anywhere.

Doug

Edited by HDoug

Superb collection of colors and the graphite one really compliments your Powerbook. A reply to your post cannot be made without reference to your handwriting so here goes --> :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

Give your 100% to everything you do ..... except donating blood.

I donʻt have any of myself, but itʻs a standard "tripod" grip like these guys (gals mostly actually) holding their quills. Iʻm still constantly making little adjustments to my grip -- there are a tremendous number of variations possible with all the joints in our arms/wrists/fingers etc! But the main thing I try to remember is keep everything light and relaxed. No tension anywhere.

Doug

What a moving set of pictures! And what a relief! There is no one way -- and the way will continue to evolve in my own hand. Just relax...wow. applies on a few levels, eh?

Join my Flickr Groups Staples Arc

Your Paper Spaces Photos

Blog Paper Spaces

HDoug --

Quick question: What is the name of the ink that you are using in the Al-Star next to the Apple External Keyboard (picture #7). The ink seems to have a silvery aspect to it, right? (Although I wonder if instead the color is some kind of brownish. I really can't tell too well.)

As others have said, great review. I look forward to getting one of those new Ruby Red Al-Stars coming out soon.

Cheers.

Edited by emanresu2011

Quick question: What is the name of the ink that you are using in the Al-Star next to the Apple External Keyboard (picture #7). The ink seems to have a silvery aspect to it, right?

Thatʻs Sailor Kiwa Guro black ink. The original photo was very dim so I probably hit the wrong buttons to lighten the pic and "silverfied" the ink by mistake!

Doug

I do like my Al-Star. I have an aluminium coloured one like yours and it is a very reliable writer. However more than the piston feed justifying the higher price of the L2k, the nib is simply much better giving a lot more feedback and a cushioned ride rather than the nail that is the Al-Star. I also think that the L2k looks better but that is entirely subjective.

The nibs are OK, though the EF isn't always that fine, but what kills the whole line for me is that clip. I just can't get it on to a shirt pocket (polo or T) without a lot of trouble, and then it never wants to let go. I just recently discovered the CP1 and ground an EF to italic and love the combo.

Bonus is all the Lamy nibs that style seem to write quite well flipped over. I used an F nib upside down in a red safari through a lot of notetaking.