• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• JefferyS

• Aquaria

• jasonditz

I'm going to commit some thread necromancy here, because there's a very cheap source for Norcom paper available to those living in Central and South Texas. It's called HEB, and their GTC brand of spiral notebooks, which are made by Norcom. I don't need to introduce HEB to any Texan living in those areas, but for those living outside Texas, HEB is the grocery store chain. In San Antonio, they are the king, and have run all of the major grocery store chains out of business. They're even giving Super Wal-Mart a run for their money. Nobody who's a self-respecting foodie around here shops at Wal-Mart. We all shop at HEB, Central Market (HEB's gourmet store), or one of the handful of specialty stores in the city. Never Wal-Mart. That's for people with no tastebuds.

Currently, the notebooks are running 88 cents, and yes, you can order them from HEB online. https://www.heb.com/product-detail/gtc-1-subject-college-ruled-spiral-notebook-assorted-colors/538131

During July and August, HEB shoppers can get the 70 count spiral notebooks for an astounding 25 cents per notebook, or sometimes less in the early parts of July. Don't know if that translates to online sales, but it's worth noting for those on a budget or those who, like me, can sometimes pinch a penny until it screams for mercy.

I've bought these GTC notebooks not only because my husband works there and we thus get a discount on the store brand...but because they are such great cheap notebooks for FP use, at least with medium nibs or finer.

Note: I don't know about broad nibs--haven't tried them yet with those FPs yet, but this is the best bargain in FP paper I've found. If you use broad nibs, it can't hurt to try it. Just think--you can try a new notebook, and toss some Whataburger Spicy Ketchup into your order at the same time. HEB charges a fraction of the price that Amazon does--even with the shipping costs of HEB compared to Amazon prime.

$10.99 for a bottle of ketchup that only costs $2.25 + shipping through HEB. Highway freaking robbery!

Obligatory disclaimer: My husband works for HEB, but this is not a recommendation to generate sales (his job is such that he's not affected by stuff like that other than in more sales = more job security). This is only one bargain hunter bringing attention to some good bargains to others who like to save money whenever and wherever they can.

The less you spend on FP paper, the more FPs and inks you can get...right?

Edited by Aquaria

Sort of weird, but you're right.

I have a Norcom Composition book that's "Made in USA" and it feathers all over the place. Oddly the 10 cent on-sale Norcom wirebounds (that I bought like 20 of because they were so cheap) are also made in the US and it doesn't seem to feather badly at all. Super thin paper though, so it bleeds like nobody's business, plan on writing on one side only.

Made in the USA is a, shall we say, flexible term.

The paper and even most of the notebook can be assembled in Brazil. The notebooks are assembled or get the covers put on in the US, and thus will then qualify as "Made in the USA."

My understand is that a significant number or products that are merely divvied up and shrinkwrapped here for retail sale can qualify as "Made in the USA."

That's how little the term means in actual usage.

Edited by Aquaria