Pelikan M101N

hari317

Mine arrived on 12th May. I went for the F nib as my writing is quite small but I'd say it writes somewhere between F and M. A wonderful pen and well worth the investment. I use it in a particular notebook for particular thoughts.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• mehandiratta

• pelman

• breaker

A number on the Filler: "102" any idea what it stands for?

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Pel%20101N/IMG_5738.jpg

Cheers!

Hari

Hi, Hari:

I've seen these numbers stamped on the brass connectors of M800 and M1000 fountain pens.

As near as I can surmise, it's a date code used by Pelikan to reveal the manufacturing date of these pens.

If I'm correct, and I believe I am, the first number is the year while the second two are the month of creation.

This would mean your pen was made in 2011, in the month of February or 02, making the date stamp show as 102.

I believe this to be the case after having worked on several Pelikans with known manufacturing dates, like my 1995 Pelikan Old Style with the stamping numbers of 511 that would indicate to me that pen was made in 1995 and during November or the 11th month of the year.

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/M800ConnectorStamping-1.jpg

I've seen the same number stampings on M1000 brass connectors of a known manufacturing date. One M1000 in particular I have now that I can see without taking it apart, as is the case with many using this method, by shining a bright LED flashlight through the striped barrel and using a 10X loupe I'm seeing the numbers 906, or the year 2009 and the month of June or month 06.

Now I have tried asking Pelikan directly if this was correct, no one I'd spoken with to-date could confirm or deny this, so it's my observations and my opinion as it stands that these are date codes.

If someone can prove me wrong, that's OK by me, but until such time I will continue to look for these numbers on pens I know the manufacturing dates of to see if they continue to match.

It wouldn't surprise me that the numbers you're seeing might indeed coincide with when your pen was made, I guess time will tell if they do indeed change next year to a number beginning with 2 instead of 1, for the year 2012.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

I want one! Nice acquisition.

Thanks Shaqin, as per some reports, it seems that the stocks are running out fast as only 5000 were made.

Mine arrived on 12th May. I went for the F nib as my writing is quite small but I'd say it writes somewhere between F and M. A wonderful pen and well worth the investment. I use it in a particular notebook for particular thoughts.

Thanks for sharing Captain, enjoy your pen in good health.

I've seen these numbers stamped on the brass connectors of M800 and M1000 fountain pens.

As near as I can surmise, it's a date code used by Pelikan to reveal the manufacturing date of these pens.

Thanks for sharing your observations Scott. Feb 2011 makes sense, I hope other members chime in with the numbers on their pens, so we can determine a pattern.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hari,

congratulations on you new pen!! It's gorgeus! I also like the pic with the Souverän family together for size comparation.

Inka,

It's a nice theory! I've been looking my two M1000: 905 and 908. Yes, the possible dates also make sence. My other two M800 have just a "800" number. Probably, 800 means M800. But we have to remember both M800 and M1000 piston fillers are the same. Maybe Pelikan did something to distinguish. And a M1000 from 1990?? How did they write?? It's fun to think about it!

All the best,

Fabricio

Hari,

congratulations on you new pen!! It's gorgeus! I also like the pic with the Souverän family together for size comparation.

Hi Fabricio, thanks for your kind comments. Best, hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hari

I know the post is about the M101N but the M450 is a great looking pen. I am trying to find one but its not easy!

• 2 years later...

Thanks for a great review. I really would love to purchase this pen. Prices have really gone through the roof on them.

• 1 year later...

Hari

I know the post is about the M101N but the M450 is a great looking pen. I am trying to find one but its not easy!

I guess I was lucky to have bought the M450 in time. :)

Thanks for a great review. I really would love to purchase this pen. Prices have really gone through the roof on them.

yes, but the new colors should be easier to and cheaper to find I guess.

Spectacular review. :)

thank you.

@hari

how the pen is treating you

Have not used it in a long while, but I feel it will treat me well if I ink it up again. :)

I guess I was lucky to have bought the M450 in time. :)

yes, but the new colors should be easier to and cheaper to find I guess.

thank you.

Have not used it in a long while, but I feel it will treat me well if I ink it up again. :)

Please do let me know when u ink it again... I would love to hear from you in this

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Please do let me know when u ink it again... I would love to hear from you in this

Ok. what do you want to know about it?

Writing sample... Any skipping while writing...

oh, it is a very nice and a very reliable writer,I used it for quite a while, no skipping at all. I believe I posted a writing sample with the review. I will do once more in case i ink the pen again.

A great collection ,Hari..and this pen is so gorgeous..thanks for sharing..

Thanks Sagar. :)

oh, it is a very nice and a very reliable writer,I used it for quite a while, no skipping at all. I believe I posted a writing sample with the review. I will do once more in case i ink the pen again.

Thanks Sagar. :)

Thank you that...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter