Cross Ballpoint Pen Disassembly & Cleaning

GarryR

Has anyone tried using sewing machine oil instead of WD40 and 3 in 1 oil?

If so, please share your results.

I have a few prized keepsakes that need to be fixed and the last time ... I sent a rose flower 14K gold clipless cap in to Cross for repair; they sent me back a new black pen with a clip instead ... I am not doing that again. It was a graduation gift, sigh. :sick: :mad:

Mark on the repair form that your pen has sentimental value and they will send it back along with a new pen.

It's not what you look at, but what you see when you look.

Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WriteAway

• GarryR

• Chthulhu

• Mike 59

I have been trying to get apart one of the old ones that was just toast. Locked up tighter than a frogs bottom. Once I get this apart I will post pics. They are totally difficult to free up. I tried WD-40, 3 in one oil, then motor oil and no movement. Tried heat with no results. Soaked for days, no help.

Like I said I will post pics if I ever get this pen completely apart. 'It has become a quest now' to borrow a phrase from my dad.

Happy Pen Hunting,

Fern

I had a Cross gold filled ballpoint pen that was over 40 years old, completely frozen and with a broken poket clip as well. The pen sat in an old plastic container for 25 years until I rediscovered it and sent it off to Cross for repair. As noted above I specified that the pen had sentimental value on the form I filled out, and I followed up with a call to Cross. I mentioned to Cross that the broken pocket clip was my fault and that I was willing to pay to have it fixed. The pen was returned to me in as-new condition at no extra charge beyond the customary $10 shipping fee. Old mechanical pencils are another story--they are often replaced with a new unit which includes the plastic mechanism that relaces the old style unit. Based on a number of experiences that I've had with Cross repair I would never try to fix a cherished pen myself, despite all the outstanding advice above, but I would completely trust Cross to do the repair correctly. Isn't the lifetime warranty one of the reasons that we love these pens in the first place? Everyone has a drawer somewhere with a bunch of "graduation gift" Cross pens that probably haven't seen use in years; I cleaned out my drawer and sent a number of these pens back to Cross and now I have a "fleet" of perfectly serviced ballpoints at hand for routine tasks like shopping lists, jotting down a phone number, or writing to-do lists. vinper

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Cross gold filled ballpoint pen that was over 40 years old, completely frozen and with a broken poket clip as well. The pen sat in an old plastic container for 25 years until I rediscovered it and sent it off to Cross for repair. As noted above I specified that the pen had sentimental value on the form I filled out, and I followed up with a call to Cross. I mentioned to Cross that the broken pocket clip was my fault and that I was willing to pay to have it fixed. The pen was returned to me in as-new condition at no extra charge beyond the customary $10 shipping fee. Old mechanical pencils are another story--they are often replaced with a new unit which includes the plastic mechanism that relaces the old style unit. Based on a number of experiences that I've had with Cross repair I would never try to fix a cherished pen myself, despite all the outstanding advice above, but I would completely trust Cross to do the repair correctly. Isn't the lifetime warranty one of the reasons that we love these pens in the first place? Everyone has a drawer somewhere with a bunch of "graduation gift" Cross pens that probably haven't seen use in years; I cleaned out my drawer and sent a number of these pens back to Cross and now I have a "fleet" of perfectly serviced ballpoints at hand for routine tasks like shopping lists, jotting down a phone number, or writing to-do lists. vinper

I had this EXACT experience! I received an 18k gold filled Century ballpoint from my brother as a graduation gift almost 30 years ago. I hadn't really used it much as I never wanted to risk losing it. About 2 years ago I pulled it out and it was frozen. When I tried to rotate it, the entire mechanism came out and I couldn't get it to press back in. The clip was also sprung (my fault). I sent it to Cross with the "sentimental value" noted. They sent me back a fully repaired pen. I know it was my original due to the markings and engraving on the barrel. Two minor complaints: 1. they replaced the clip with a new one instead of repairing the old. The script/font on the clip is different than that used 30 years ago. 2. they press fit a new mechanism into the old barrel instead of lubricating the old mechanism. It doesn't seem to be of the same quality as the old one, but at least that can't be seen.

I do appreciate their customer service, however.

• 6 months later...

I have a cross century ball point pen. I recently discovered it again after along time. When I tried to get the ink cartidge out(needless to say I had forgotten how the mechinics work, the washers and spring came out of the pen and I don't know how to put it back together. I was wondring if someone would help me. Thanks

• 2 months later...

THANKS guys.

I tried using heat as was mentioned and I got my so STIFF I could barely turn it BP to finally be able to turn fairly easily.

I used a heat gun to heat the area above the grip, and once it got moving I kept twisting it back and forth. I don't know if it will get stiff later today after the lube has had time to completely cool down. I also put a couple drops of "Liquid wrench" down, but it did not seem to get any easier to turn.

At least it is "usable" now.

One of my other BP is going back to Cross, the inside mechanism came out and does not want to stay in. So whatever the retaining mechanism is, it's broken.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

I just happened upon this sight looking for a solution.

The story is that I had a cross pen for 17 years that some dude stole. I found one like it on ebay because I wanted a made USA pen. I have no idea how old it is other than the fact that the documentation has 1982 as the copy right. Any how, the pen was of course frozen. I mean hard frozen. I could not budge no matter how hard I tried. And I was putting all I could into it with out tools.

I read some of the info on this thread. It proved most useful.

First I had tried some silicon spray into the mechanics of the pen. That did nothing. I did let it sit for 15 mins. I know not much time.

Second I put it under hot water for about 2 mins. That still did nothing.

Lastly ,I specifically put the pen underneath a blow dryer for about 1 min on high about 1 inch from the pen on a counter top. I doubt this pen had ever been used in its life. It looks brand new. And the pen started to turn after that, very slowly and with effort. From there I put another shot of silicon spray into the pen's mechanics. I have been turning it for about 5 mins open to close. Now it is working like a champ. So, total time was about 40 mins. I cannot thank you all for your help and your knowledge.

I was pretty bummed that it was not working when I got it today. But now it is. Thanks again.

I hope others see this info and get their treasures working.