• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jerome Tarshis

• christof

• rwilsonedn

• thebeckster

Thanks for posting the link! No one's ever called me a purist before. happyberet.gif

Pondering:

"The most popular pens are Montblanc, S.T. Dupont, Cartier, Montegrappa and Visconti."

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Interesting.

He says a sentence many people would disgree with: "For a good fountain pen, the price starts around $300"

As for regarding users as purists, initially I would think it is just the opposite, but the fact is that someone who wants a pen to fill a slot on a tray does not need the pen to write.

I'm a user, baby.

We love what we do not possess. Plato, probably about pens.

Can someone explain this:

Maybe it's been used so often the nib has worn away from the section.
?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Roger restored my first Parker 51 vacumatic couple of years ago, after I had bought it from Ebay. I was in the shop when he repaired my pen, constantly chatting about what he was doing and why. He is a great motivator for new users of fountain pens with his knowledge and passion for restoration.

Interesting.

He says a sentence many people would disgree with: "For a good fountain pen, the price starts around $300"

Makes his money off people who buy expensive pens, does he?

Interesting.

As for regarding users as purists, initially I would think it is just the opposite, but the fact is that someone who wants a pen to fill a slot on a tray does not need the pen to write.

This is one of those concepts that has different interpretations depending on whether one is the buyer or the seller. ;-)

YMMV

• 4 years later...

I spoke with Roger 3 months ago regarding repair of the nib on my Mont Blanc. He asked me to mail it to him and confirmed that he received it. I've e-mailed 5 times and have called at least 20. The 4 times I reached him he promised to mail the pen back. It's been 3 months. Now, after Googling his name, I find that many have the same complaint. Does anyone know how to deal with this person so he will return pens given for repair? I don't suggest using him. He is apparently untrustworthy.

There's a great interview with Roger Cromwell in today's Sa Francisco Chronicle. I particularly enjoy that he says we who are users and not collectors are the purists of the community!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/15/DDFG1JFKEJ.DTL

If I understand Roger Cromwell right, he means people who write with fountain pens, but do not much care about them as an object. People who own ONE pen for writing, you know.

I have serious doubts that you will find only one member of this board who suits this description.

People who tends to accumulate pens over pens are no purists in my opinion. Not at all!

C.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a purist in a lot of things. I always buy t shirts that are 100% cotton and I have more that one. I am a purist in my coffee and tea but I keep more than one brand in stock at all times, etc, etc, etc. I have always believed that not only are FP users purists, they are also just on the correct side of eccentric and certainly better looking that most.

I have no idea how Mr. Cromwell is as a repairman or businessman, but he certainly has opinions. Good pens start at about $300? Good pens have 14K or 18K gold nibs? To each his own, I guess, but hearing generalizations like those from an alleged expert always makes me nervous.

ron

How well I remember an earlier Roger Cromwell. He would set up at the San Francisco show with a huge array of mostly rather inexpensive pens. He took much time and made much effort trying to talk me into buying a Lamy piston-filler of the pre-1966 period the company seems to want to forget. For either $20 or $25. Steel nib, I suspect. Those were very decent pens in their time, and I imagine it would have written well, but I didn't much like the look or the feel.