• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kirchh

• gregamckinney

• simon_uk

• Pepin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, I almost forgot. There are two things that are rather strange about the pen(s). Even though they're made in England, they're just marked "18k Made in England" as opposed to having all the hallmarks like the 9ct models do.

And second is the fact that the Fountain Pen has an 18k nib. Its the only 18k Imperial nib I've ever seen.

PeteWK

• 2 years later...

I just got this great Sheaffer fountain pen. It's a solid 14k gold (hallmarked 5 times - on the barrel, blind cap, clip, outer cap, and nib) model with a Touchdown filling system. The inlaid nib has the word "Lifetime" on it.

I don't believe that the pen was ever used. It comes in the original box from Greenleaf & Crosby, one of the country's oldest jewelers (since 1868). An interesting thing I noticed is that the box says "New York - Florida" under the company's name. They were established in Florida but as I understand it, closed down their store on "5th Avenue" in the mid-20th century. They are now located on the ultra prestigious Worth Street in Palm Beach FL, as well as Vail and a couple other places..

Any idea as far as what it could be worth?

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/FP_FSN/forsale/goldpen1.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/FP_FSN/forsale/goldpen12.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/FP_FSN/forsale/goldpen9.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/FP_FSN/forsale/goldpen7.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/FP_FSN/forsale/goldpen8.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/FP_FSN/forsale/goldpen2.jpg

Don't know if this is a Masterpiece or not but here it is. It is 14K gold Snorkel Desk Set Pen that was given to a very long time employee of Sheaffer, in Fort Madison, on (I assume) June 14, 1957. The nib and casing is 14K gold and it had never been inked in over 45 years until It was given to me. I had it restored and promply filled it (With Sheaffer Skrip Black Ink, of course) and have been using it on my office desk ever since. It writes just beautifly, has a 14K fine gold nib. I'm sure the value fell by more than half when I did that, but to be able to use this fine pin has more than made up for any loss of value. The real value comes from being able to use such a fine writing instrument. The model number on the box that it was in is 2702J if that means anything to anyone.

Thanks for looking.

I "collect" desk pens whenever I find them and let me just say that you've set a grail for me. :thumbup:

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

Still dying to see real life photos of the PFM Masterpiece (if it exists)...

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

The gold-filled PFM that some have called a PFM Masterpiece is pictured in this post by David Isaacson: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...st&p=878464

My understanding is that this pen was probably not made by Sheaffer (certainly not an official Sheaffer product) and therefore never called a Sheaffer Masterpiece.

"Aftermarket gold PFM overlay" is probably more accurate.

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

The gold-filled PFM that some have called a PFM Masterpiece is pictured in this post by David Isaacson: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...st&p=878464

My understanding is that this pen was probably not made by Sheaffer (certainly not an official Sheaffer product) and therefore never called a Sheaffer Masterpiece.

greg

It's not gold-filled.

regards

david

greg

It's not gold-filled.

regards

david

D'oh. I (think I) knew that.

How about the rest of my recollection, though? This is not thought to be a Sheaffer produced pen, is it?

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

greg

It's not gold-filled.

regards

david

D'oh. I (think I) knew that.

How about the rest of my recollection, though? This is not thought to be a Sheaffer produced pen, is it?

greg

My recollection of the chat about it is that it was special edition for Harrod's. It is gold covered, but not really a Masterpiece in sense of a catalogued typical 14k overlay based in the USA.

-d

My recollection of the chat about it is that it was special edition for Harrod's. It is gold covered, but not really a Masterpiece in sense of a catalogued typical 14k overlay based in the USA.

-d

This was also my understanding. In past "Sheaffer PFM Masterpiece debates", I kept taking away that the Harrod's pens, of which supposedly 100 were made, were a one off, as opposed to a catalogued, regular production item.

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one!

Solid gold PFM - not officially a masterpiece but it does have a 9ct solid gold body, cap and clip. Three separate hallmarks for a company called S J Rose. Originally retailed by Asprey in Bond Street London. No they don't have any more.

post-3942-1238066097_thumb.jpg

Here's one!

Solid gold PFM - not officially a masterpiece but it does have a 9ct solid gold body, cap and clip. Three separate hallmarks for a company called S J Rose. Originally retailed by Asprey in Bond Street London. No they don't have any more.

Do you have any more images? The design seems quite different than other gold PFMs. Asprey made all kinds of goods, from wristwatches to writing pads, and they probably commissioned Sheaffer to make this for them but the design is unlike any gold Sheaffer PFM I've come across. I'm curious why the carat is so low, only 9ct?

Here's one!

Do you have any more images? The design seems quite different than other gold PFMs. Asprey made all kinds of goods, from wristwatches to writing pads, and they probably commissioned Sheaffer to make this for them but the design is unlike any gold Sheaffer PFM I've come across. I'm curious why the carat is so low, only 9ct?

I don't know why it is 9ct. Its not marked as asprey but marked as being made by S J Rose. Here is another photo. Have to work on my photography skills I think.

post-3942-1238071019_thumb.jpg

Edited by simon_uk

The design seems quite different than other gold PFMs. Asprey made all kinds of goods, from wristwatches to writing pads, and they probably commissioned Sheaffer to make this for them but the design is unlike any gold Sheaffer PFM I've come across. I'm curious why the carat is so low, only 9ct?

I'm curious - what other gold PFMs? There are no actual PFM Masterpiece pens that I am aware of, and have never seen any official Sheaffer PFM Masterpiece ever proven out. Any that exist are jeweler's overlays from the UK, such as this one.

As to 9ct - this is a common "solid gold" carat weight for items from the UK. 9ct is not recognized generally in Europe as solid gold, most countries require 18K, but the UK has many examples of this.

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

Edited by PenHero

Here's one!

Dear Simon,

Is this the same pen David Isaacson photographed?

Great find!

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

The design seems quite different than other gold PFMs. Asprey made all kinds of goods, from wristwatches to writing pads, and they probably commissioned Sheaffer to make this for them but the design is unlike any gold Sheaffer PFM I've come across. I'm curious why the carat is so low, only 9ct?

I'm curious - what other gold PFMs? There are no actual PFM Masterpiece pens that I am aware of, and have never seen any official Sheaffer PFM Masterpiece ever proven out. Any that exist are jeweler's overlays from the UK, such as this one.

As to 9ct - this is a common "solid gold" carat weight for items from the UK. 9ct is not recognized generally in Europe as solid gold, most countries require 18K, but the UK has many examples of this.

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

Hi Jim,

I was referring to the "generic" gold (as in gold-tone) PFMs with the imaginary resemblance to the equally imaginary "masterpiece" which have been posted a few pages back in this thread. :roflmho: Surely, these are variations of the yet proven "official" masterpiece, if it exists. I apologize for my readiness to cause confusion with all these "masterpiece" references. I was simply referring to any fully gold tone PFM snorkels that don't match standard issued PFM I-V. These UK overlays are rare then? How much would something like this go for, if up for sale?

I was referring to the "generic" gold (as in gold-tone) PFMs with the imaginary resemblance to the equally imaginary "masterpiece" which have been posted a few pages back in this thread. :roflmho: Surely, these are variations of the yet proven "official" masterpiece, if it exists. I apologize for my readiness to cause confusion with all these "masterpiece" references. I was simply referring to any fully gold tone PFM snorkels that don't match standard issued PFM I-V. These UK overlays are rare then? How much would something like this go for, if up for sale?

Dear Pepin,

Actually an all gold filled PFM does not exist. It's a Unicorn, like the Masterpiece.

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

Here's one!

Dear Simon,

Is this the same pen David Isaacson photographed?

Great find!

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

Dear Jim,

No it is not the one David Isaacson photographed. I suspect that one was the one that appeared in auction in London in 2003. Mine doesn't have a black mark on the cap as that one seems to have from the photos. I have the original box and instructions and I suspect that it has been kept in that box for much of its life.

best wishes

Simon

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I signed up for an account so I could view the pictures you guys had posted. I stumbled onto your thread while doing research trying to find information about a set of pens I have. I've done quite a bit of searching and this topic is the closest I've come to finding anything out abut them. I'll post a couple of pictures that I have. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!