The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

My New Edison Pearl

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 waterman1924

waterman1924

Spes mea In Deo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2011 - 13:08

My new Edison Pearl arrived in a beautiful red box as you can see...
Posted Image
APPEARANCE:

The appearance of the "Pearl" has a smooth, glossy, and refined finish with a rich color combination of dark coffee and creamy brown chocolate swirls. An old fashion postal pen ink level viewing window in the traditional amber color is nicely incorporated into the body. Tight but smooth threading for both the bulb filler and nib caps provides real esthetics. The window and body flows continuous and seamlessly. The gold tone pocket clip is fitted tightly into the cap for secure attachment. The placement of the Initials under the pocket clip displays nicely with crisp engraving and an appropriate font size as not to be gaudy. The Pearl's bulb filling mechanism is hid away under under rear cap and has to be the best filling system I have ever used thus far. Ink capacity on this pen is copious and there will be no need for worry about frequent fillings or running short.
Posted Image

COMFORT:

The pearl lays comfortably into my hand. Full bodied and hefty but not overly heavy. The step down is just the right size for finger placement with just the right amount of room for gripping without the need to add unnecessary length to the body of the pen

Posted Image

NIB:

Two tone 14k gold nib has a beautiful appearance and includes the Edison logo with flourishing. The nib glides effortlessly across the paper like skates on a smooth glossy sheet of ice. Custom nib working provides nice flexing with a springy return back to the original position. Reminiscent of a fine old nib back from days gone by... Line variation from 20 to 150 as you can see below from Brian's writing sample without over extending the nib to ex-strenuous pressures. The ink flow on the Pearl is wet with no skipping, providing a continuous source to fill line coverage during flexation.

Posted Image
CUSTOMER SERVICE:

I spoke with Brian Gray on Mar 28, 2011 and was in contact often via email and phone conversations regarding the options available on the Pearl. Brian was always courteous and professional throughout our dealings, never rushing me to make decisions and updating changes I decided on. He always kept me up to date on the scheduling process and exactly were my pen was on the production list. It was a pure pleasure to deal with Brian, and he made me feel like I was his only the customer. Even though I knew that was far from reality. He is a true gentleman and this is how every business should be run. In this day and age of get it done fast and cheap to make the biggest profit it is nice to know there is someone who still does business the old fashion way. Brian is someone who takes pride in his product and is a true artist who genuinely cares about all of his customers, treating each one with his special brand of individual care.

CONCLUSION:

After careful and deliberate analysis and so far, a brief use of the Edison pen company Pearl bulb filler. I have come to realize that even though I appreciate my vintage pens, this pen having been custom made for me with the options I decided upon, will quickly become my favorite. Being over a half a century old I have learned how appreciate the finer things life has to offer. Things like the Pearl. I am quite sure this lovely pen will serve me well through the years and I will thoroughly enjoy writing with it. I also take comfort in knowing it will be passed down as a remembrance of me when I cease to exist, hopefully with fond memories. Having many pens in my collection dating back over 100 yours I am sure that my Pearl will live on some where in time when I'm gone...

Edited by waterman1924, 14 May 2011 - 13:16.

Sponsored Content

#2 Brian C

Brian C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2011 - 13:18

To me the Pearl Is Brian's "flagship" pen. I cherish mine. Yours is a beautiful example combining modern shape with vintage materials and colors. Well done. One question. Does the 14k with flex have a springy lush writing experience like a Pelikan 1000 or Homosapiens or is it more of a vintage flex where intentional controlled pressure is used to create line variation?

#3 waterman1924

waterman1924

Spes mea In Deo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2011 - 13:29

To me the Pearl Is Brian's "flagship" pen. I cherish mine. Yours is a beautiful example combining modern shape with vintage materials and colors. Well done. One question. Does the 14k with flex have a springy lush writing experience like a Pelikan 1000 or Homosapiens or is it more of a vintage flex where intentional controlled pressure is used to create line variation?

Thank you. I really love it. I'm not a great photographer and my photos don't do it justice. The flex is a vintage flex where intentional controlled pressure is used. It is stiffer than the thin vintage nibs but has a great spring back. As you can see you can get great line variation.

#4 SHK

SHK

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2011 - 14:45

Thanks for the review and enjoy writing.
I have ordered my first Edison Pen last week.
It's a Huron in Cappuccino Swirl.
I will see what awaiting me.

So another Edison Pen review is coming...

Regards
Sascha

#5 patsikes

patsikes

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 14:55

Wow! That is a great looking pen! I thought the material was a green color at first but the photo with the chocolate give a great reference.
Patrick Sikes
The Norsk Woodshop
www.NorskWoodshop.com
blog.NorskWoodshop.com
Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#6 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 18:57

i'm digging the color! i have a Edison Pearl S.E. for NM Pen Club 11 of 15 (i think), and I love it! congrats on your amazing pen!

#7 pmsalty

pmsalty

shamus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2011 - 19:02

Nice, very nice review! The nib Posted Image and I'mPosted Image with envy!
PMS
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

#8 Signum1

Signum1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:17

Nice choice from Edison. I own two Pearls in my collection. I wasn't aware that the Edison logo was engraved on the 14k nibs. The photo you have of the nib looks like a standard 14k nib from JoWo with no Edison logo on the nib. The sample writing from the flex nib is very appealing.:thumbup:
Posted Image

#9 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Member - Gold

• 3,347 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:26

The photography is fine, and thanks for the review. You are more aggressive on pen flexing than I, but you put it to good use. I have an Edison #76, which is an excellent pen in every way. I always look forward to seeing Edison reviews, and yesterday's look at those rhino plastics buckled my knees. I hope that Brian saw that post. Some of those blanks looked wonderful, and they weren't even pens (yet).
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#10 waterman1924

waterman1924

Spes mea In Deo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:32

Thanks for the review and enjoy writing.
I have ordered my first Edison Pen last week.
It's a Huron in Cappuccino Swirl.
I will see what awaiting me.

So another Edison Pen review is coming...

Regards
Sascha

I'm sure you'll love the Huron....

#11 waterman1924

waterman1924

Spes mea In Deo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:34

Wow! That is a great looking pen! I thought the material was a green color at first but the photo with the chocolate give a great reference.

Thank you, thought the chocolate was a close match to the color...

#12 waterman1924

waterman1924

Spes mea In Deo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:36

i'm digging the color! i have a Edison Pearl S.E. for NM Pen Club 11 of 15 (i think), and I love it! congrats on your amazing pen!

Thanks, I seen the NM pens from Edison and all I can say is they are absolutely beautiful. Captures the State to a tee

#13 waterman1924

waterman1924

Spes mea In Deo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:38

The photography is fine, and thanks for the review.

Thank you Jeffery. B) Glad you all liked it...

#14 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

You do, indeed, only live once.

• Member - Gold

• 4,280 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:44

I loved this - I loved the way you posed the pen with the coffee and chocolate, the way you described it, and mostly the way you talked about why it means a lot to you: the care and interest of the artisan, and the time of life where one starts to find true value in certain places.

Thanks!
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#15 waterman1924

waterman1924

Spes mea In Deo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:50

I loved this - I loved the way you posed the pen with the coffee and chocolate, the way you described it, and mostly the way you talked about why it means a lot to you: the care and interest of the artisan, and the time of life where one starts to find true value in certain places.

Thanks!

Thank you, Glad you enjoyed the review...

#16 plc123

plc123

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:01

Thanks for a great review with lovely pictures.

I was wondering if the Pearl is post-able. Have you tried writing with it that way?

Thanks for any info!

#17 waterman1924

waterman1924

Spes mea In Deo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:15

Thanks for a great review with lovely pictures.

I was wondering if the Pearl is post-able. Have you tried writing with it that way?

Thanks for any info!

Thank you. I haven't tried it that way however I'm sure if you ask Brian at Edison pen he'd be more than happy to advise...

#18 J_Rock

J_Rock

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2011 - 15:54

Your Pearl is stunning. I am not one for flashy pens but that material is just enough that I could see my self using it. Excellent choice.

I am planning on an Edison purchase in July. My visit to Brian's shop put me over the edge. I was thinking of getting a bulb filler but I am worried about how it would fill once the ink level in the bottle of ink got too low. This is because i have only used eyedroppers and converters. How do you get around that in your experience?

Thanks for the great review. It makes my wait till July even harder. :headsmack:

Edited by J_Rock, 15 May 2011 - 16:18.

#19 waterman1924

waterman1924

Spes mea In Deo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2011 - 16:19

Your Pearl is stunning. I am not one for flashy pens but that materiel is just enough that I could see my self using it. Excellent choice.

I am planning on an Edison purchase in July. My visit to Brian's shop put me over the edge. I was thinking of getting a bulb filler but I am worried about how it would perform once the ink level in the bottle of ink got too low. How do you get around that in your experience?

Thanks for the great review. It makes my wait till July even harder. :headsmack:

Thanks J_Rock. I actually havent had the pen long enough to see the performance of the low ink level. I am planning on using it as a desk pen and chances are I won't be letting the level get to low. It holds a lot of ink and will last a long time I'm sure. Today I compared it with a vintage pen for flex and I have to say it matches it without a problem... The nib is a bit stiffer but in my eyes it's a good thing. It would be a lot harder to push the nib into failure... Good luck in your new Edison. I love mine...... I'll be looking for your review when you get it.

#20 J_Rock

J_Rock

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2011 - 17:17

Your Pearl is stunning. I am not one for flashy pens but that materiel is just enough that I could see my self using it. Excellent choice.

I am planning on an Edison purchase in July. My visit to Brian's shop put me over the edge. I was thinking of getting a bulb filler but I am worried about how it would perform once the ink level in the bottle of ink got too low. How do you get around that in your experience?

Thanks J_Rock. I actually havent had the pen long enough to see the performance of the low ink level. I am planning on using it as a desk pen and chances are I won't be letting the level get to low. It holds a lot of ink and will last a long time I'm sure. Today I compared it with a vintage pen for flex and I have to say it matches it without a problem... The nib is a bit stiffer but in my eyes it's a good thing. It would be a lot harder to push the nib into failure... Good luck in your new Edison. I love mine...... I'll be looking for your review when you get it.

i was actually referring to the ink in the ink bottle not the pen. i should have been more clear. Sorry for that. i am worried that when the level of ink in the bottle gets too low that the feed will not draw up the ink. Does that make sense? I can't figure out how I would not waste the last half inch of ink in the bottle. I have only used eyedroppers and C/C type pens so I am a bit confused.

Sponsored Content

|