Montblanc Boheme Review

ImolaS3

I've had my Boheme for nearly 8 years, and use it in rotation with my other pens. I have occasionally held the nib under a running cold tap to draw the remains of a cartridge through before changing colour [eg from black to red].

In all that time it starts as soon as I pick it up, the retraction mechanism is positive and precise, and the pen is a joy to write with.

I agree that they are pricey, but I love it. [My brother, on the other hand, has a MB Jules Verne and has had nothing but problems with it, and that is a considerably more expensive pen].

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImolaS3

• mjchuang9

• hari317

• luvpens

Incidentally, how DO you clean it??

Montblanc sells a special cleaning cartridge, which is essentially a pipette with a cleaning solution that's made to fit the piercing tube (nipple) at the end of the section. It's long enough that you can extend the nib and still work the bulb on the pipette. It's supposed to be a one time feature, but of course we're cheap enough to know better. Two in the package, and they work nicely.

I've had a Boeheme for maybe 8 years now. I bought it because of the "cool" factor, and like the pen. But my Pilot Capless, and Namiki VP pens see a lot more use. The Boeheme sits in a pigeon hole in my desk. I'll pull it out and play with it a bit, but it doesn't get much actual use.

But so far, I've resisted any thoughts of selling it.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Has anyone else found a nice, efficient way of cleaning this pen? I was originally drawn to the Boheme also but decided against it due to the filling mechanism... and the difficulty cleaning it.

How do you find it compares to the VP ... or if anyone has one, the Lamy dialog 3?

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

... Cleaning is no problem: Just take a long Pelikan cartridge. Cut off the end so you can insert the tip of an ear bulb into the cartridge. Insert the cartridge normally into the pen and be sure to extend the nib completely, so no water gets inside the barrel (water inside barrel can harm the mechanism).

Cheers!

Armin

P.S. Always worked fine for me, but you do it on your own risk.

Edit I: P.S.

Edit II: spellin

Edited by Fluegelfeder

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your sharing.

I am looking forward to a pen which I can take in my shirt. I like boheme in the first glance. This review enhance my determination to buy one. :)

责人之心责己,恕己之心恕人

Only cleaned it once so far as all subsequent cartridges are PR Avocado. I just flushed it under the tap like any other pen.

Very nice review! I had similar thoughts about the standard capless and finally sold it when I bought my Fermo with the twist actuator. The fermo clip does not bother me, YMMV.

BTW, you should never flush the Boheme under a tap, water can get into the propel/retract mechanism and corrode it. MB recommends the cleaning cartridge that others in this thread have described well.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I've checked this pen out a few times (buddy has one) and really do like it. The nib is great and the clip looks great in person.

One thing that irks me about the Fermo is that I find one-handed operation very difficult. Twisting the pen to have the nib come out just seems to work better as a two handed affair...in the end this arrangement seems to offer no conceivable benefit to a standard cap. Does the MB surmount this problem in any way?

Additionally, because the nib points down I would imagine small amounts of ink may end up getting on/around a shirt pocket. After all, gravity and nib creep would conceivably be constantly working against you.

Cheers,

NM

Additionally, because the nib points down I would imagine small amounts of ink may end up getting on/around a shirt pocket. After all, gravity and nib creep would conceivably be constantly working against you.

Hi NM, the Boheme is nib up when capped and carried clipped to the shirt pocket, just like any other pen. I think one handed operation is difficult with the Boheme.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Very nice review.

I have had mine for nearly 9 (?) years. I got it not long after the first Rouge came on the scene.

My only complaint is that the cap never seated well on the pen, resulting in the ink in the nib drying to the point that I could not use it within 24-48 hours - basically the equivalent to having left it out in the open.

Yes, yes, I could have sent it off to be repaired, but at the time - this being my first MB and a very precious baby - I was a bit too fearful to send it anywhere, especially considering that it took a bit of time for me to receive it. I had an OM nib put on mine, which I love.

Eventually, I just cleaned it out and either used it once in a great while to sign a few things, then clean and store away.

I finally decided it was too nice a pen, so I simply placed a thin O-ring on the barrel and carefully screw the cap on upto the O-ring bumper/seal. Now, no more drying out problem and I have a beautiful pen with which to write at a moments notice.

I must say, though, the experience has made me a bit skiddish when it comes to the purchase of future MB pens. By comparison, I have several VP pens, and on a rare occasion have had leakage issues.

Overall, now that I actually CAN use my little Boheme, I find it to be a lovely pen particularly suited to a a woman's hand.

Again, very nice review.

NVM! Koyote asked the same question earlier :)

Edited by jniforat

While I love my VP's the MB Boheme is in a different league. I have the big mamma jamma version and what a nice pen it is. Has the size and weight that I love. Wish that the capacity was more than a single international short but hey, it is what it is. I did not buy the expensive MB cleaning cartridge but instead use a disposable lab pipette, works fine and keeps in inner workings safe from immersion in water. Sorry for the crappy images, you get the idea.

P1030473.JPG

P1030472.JPG

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

Overall, now that I actually CAN use my little Boheme, I find it to be a lovely pen particularly suited to a a woman's hand.

Again, very nice review.

Sorry to hear of your probelms, but glad you got it sorted.

Mine has never been free of ink since getting it and never away from my pocket either, whether at work or play

Please visit my new pen and ink/pen box site at www.boxesandpens.co.uk

Hand made boxes to store and display your favourite pens.

10% discount for FPN members

Oops! Double post

Edited by ImolaS3

Please visit my new pen and ink/pen box site at www.boxesandpens.co.uk

Hand made boxes to store and display your favourite pens.

10% discount for FPN members

• 3 months later...

I've noticed (and tested) dry up time when a pen is left uncapped and it seems I can get away with about 2-3 minutes before drying up at the nib occurs.....is this better with the Boheme when retracted but uncapped?

If not then it seems that in casual use (intermittent note taking) the retracting nib feature is an additional impediment as the nib has to be screwed out in addition to having removed the cap - is that your experience?

I have had a Boheme FP and Roller for about 10 years and have always liked them--they dont see much use due to growing rotation, but this post made me pull out my Boheme FP, give it a rinse, put in a new cartridge and give it a go. Wrote like a charm right from the get go. One that will stay in my collection due to its aforementioned cool factor.

Basically, that's the pen with which Montblanc started to confuse sober luxury and laughable bling in my opinion.

And, to my greatest displeasure, it worked well on the market.

Now I see them like the gucci or prada of pens. Selling whatever by just branding it.

Sad, so sad.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

Bought a Boheme rouge on the Bay yesterday and am expecting (hoping) it will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait. :puddle:

Can someone confirm whether Diamine cartridges will fit it? Thanks.

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

Basically, that's the pen with which Montblanc started to confuse sober luxury and laughable bling in my opinion.

And, to my greatest displeasure, it worked well on the market.

Now I see them like the gucci or prada of pens. Selling whatever by just branding it.

Sad, so sad.

If it keeps a company afloat, more power to them. People are not storming the gates of Penmanship lately and definitely not at the gates of pen commerce either. As the owner of Field Notes once said (sort of) in an interview: Now all we have is a bunch of d***s with their f****ing Ipads. Sorry, I cant link that interview because I cant find it anymore.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

Very nice pen but I think it is a bit overpriced (actually I think all MB are). I belive that you got a really nice deal!!!

Yes I confess, I am still using my Jotter

Can someone confirm whether Diamine cartridges will fit it? Thanks.

Sure will, I have the Vert. Think you may be impressed with this pen, it has nice weight to it for a small pen and is very nicely finished.