Schrade Tactical Pen

penguinmaster

I ordered one in copper and I just got around to filling it. I had to modify a converter to fit - a little careful work with a bench grinder to taper and slightly shorten the converter knob - and I filled it with Baystate Blue. I like this pen - it is generously proportioned, lightweight and it looks like it could survive re-entry into the atmosphere. The nib is admirably smooth and behaves in a very controlled and predictable way, with no surprises in flow rate and line control. My only criticisms focus on the section and the clip. The section is finished consistent with all of the other external surfaces of the pen (smooth anodized aluminum) and the grip is at times uncertain. As for the clip, it could very well serve as a leaf spring for a 3/4 ton pick up truck. One needs attitude and strength to clip this thing to a shirt pocket. Getting it to release its purchase is another thing altogether.

Minor criticisms, though, for a pen that I found on Amazon for $15.

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chrevbel

• penguinmaster

• waterman1924

• Starguard

Nice pen. I did some demo moves with my Schrade Tactical Fountain Pen. I was expecting a mess once I unscrewed the cap. No mess, just a small smudge on the nib. Here's the video:

Thanks for watching.

• 1 month later...

--UPDATE - Turns out the nib is not a Schmidt nib, I tried to replace it as stated above and a Schmidt nib is just a bit too short. But what DID work was a steel JOWO nib I had, so take that for what's it worth. Either way the nib that comes on the pen is top notch in terms of smoothness and flow, so I'm guessing it's good brand of nib.

Can you tell me what size of JoWo you used? I can't tell just by looking.

Thanks,

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Nice pen. I did some demo moves with my Schrade Tactical Fountain Pen. I was expecting a mess once I unscrewed the cap. No mess, just a small smudge on the nib. Here's the video:

Thanks for watching.

Best video ever!

You proved that you can write a death certificate for the poor soul you just killed :ninja:

Time to put Pen to Paper

• 4 months later...

Welp, to be honest, any kind of hard plastic pen is quite tactical.

Sure it may not crack a fella's skull, but jam it into his eye.......

• 1 year later...

So I picked up one, got it today, nothing has changed, all the same things mentioned in the past are still true, but I was able to loosen the clip using a small torx screwdriver I've had sitting around for years, No joke about that nib either, very wet writer. It was listed on ebay as a fine.... :lticaptd: I'm going to pick up a replacement nib from Goulet Pens, I happen to have a lot of international standard cartridges right now, but if I leave that nib in I'll use them up in a week! Ordered the new nib from Goulet Pens, and they have the Monteverde mini converter so I got that too!

Edited by Pen Addict

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

• 2 weeks later...

This is an absolutely awesome pen for the price. 25 bucks. It also converts to a rollerball. It's also entirely appropriate to call it Tactical.

One of my very first fountain pens. Still a daily carry.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

• 4 months later...

I got a bit fed up of the rather dry and rigid nib in my Schrade Tactical, and decided it needed a gold replacement. That may sound a bit extravagant in a fairly modestly-priced pen, but I think it's been worth it. The very helpful people at FPnibs.com in southern Spain sold me a ruthenium-plated gold JoWo nib with a matched feed, and it was fairly straightforward to insert these into the original screw-in unit. The dark ruthenium finish has just the right 'stealth' look for this pen, I think, and it writes very nicely indeed now; much smoother, and with a bit of gentle line variation too. There's a hand-written review of my handiwork on my blog if you want to see how it writes (usual caveat - I'm still mastering the thing!). Drilling-out the barrel has allowed me to fit a longer international cartridge so that it doesn't run out of juice quite so quickly, too! Here's how the nib looks these days:fpn_1448822449__schrade_with_6_gold_nib.

I think that Taylor Made must have made some changes to the design at some point, on mine a standard international converter fits with no problem. I would not write with it posted, it's awkward and way too long at least for me. I do have small hands. It's a very sturdy pen and I love how quickly they responded when I had to make use of the warranty on my first one. The replacement pen they sent is great and has no problems. I got mine on e-Bay.

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

• 2 months later...

Yes they are and are available at Amazon and e-Bay.

Intresting product, I only knew Schrade for their knives, like this one:

post-127772-0-57875000-1454956515_thumb.jpg

"Wears not everything that inspires us the color of the Night?" (Novalis)

I've had one of these for some time, and the anodized finish surely shows its battle scars. I carry mine clipped in a front pants pocket, something I wouldn't consider doing without a strong barrel-section joint. One thing I've noticed, and I haven't seen mentioned, is the section-cap and cap-barrel threads. On my version, it appears that the manufacturer has used square or Acme threads (hard to tell which without my glasses on), which while more difficult to machine, are substantially stronger and subject to lower friction than conventional triangular (V-shaped) threads. This was probably due to the lack of thread-holding strength in the particular grade of aluminum they chose for the pen-barrels. The section-barrel is threaded conventionally, but this suffers far less use-cycles than the section-cap and cap-barrel threads. Just something I noticed that I thought was a neat design and manufacturing feature.

I think I must have had an early version--mine wouldn't accept international long cartridges or converters out of the box, so I carefully drilled the soft aluminum of the barrel to the correct depth. Looking at what's currently available on Amazon (where I purchased mine), I see that the design has changed somewhat and the rear of the barrel is much more tapered.

The original nib was damaged some time ago and I easily swapped it with a #6 from a Jinhao 159 that was laying around, and so far, no issues with the feed or nib.

I realize that the "tactical" (or industrial) aesthetic is not everyone's cup of tea, but I don't think the robust, almost-abuse-tolerant construction of this pen can be denied.

Thankfully, mine accepts a standard CC and long carts out of the box. I'm seriously considering getting a gold nib for it, as well. It's just so robust and well made. It really fits the EDC, front pocket jeans style of carry that I enjoy on weekends.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Yes, the nibs on both of mine write very well, I'll put a goulet nib on them in a heartbeat if they ever need to be replaced but at the rate they're going I'll probably not need to do that unless I put their new black nibs on them just for the looks. :)

• 5 months later...

Bringing this back from the dead... just ordered one of this pens.. with multiple law enforcement officers in the family and how popular "tactical" pens have become in the last few years it seems like every other guy in the family had a tactical pen but me.

I guess I'll be ordering a Monteverde Mini Converter, it seems like other converters have been kind of hit or miss.

I've been wanting this been for a while now and kept holding off for something less "gimmicky", but noticed recently the original Black version has since been disconnected so is becoming a little more difficult to find. And we all now its not truly tactical unless its Black.

I own one of these in the brown finish. It has a great nib, which is something I didn't expect at all. It can also be used a s a rollerball, but I never use that feature. People seem to like this pen.

I have also had good luck stopping zombies with the non-writing end. :)

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!