Schrade Tactical Pen

penguinmaster

So one Chinese company make fake montblancs, how does that equate to all chinese companies making fake garbage? It is rather like saying some Americans funded the IRA, so all Americans must therefore fund terrorism.

Umm, what?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that when a Chinese company manufactures pens (or nibs) and they're then marketed as being produced by a different company and manufactured in a different country, then the pens (or nibs) are going to be of inferior quality.

But maybe I'm just racist.

I would expect any counterfeit nib to be of dubious quality, irrespective of where it was made.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chrevbel

• penguinmaster

• waterman1924

• Starguard

While I agree with the fact that the word "tactical" is WAY overused, I think that one should be familiar with the original use of these heavy duty pens. They were originally designed as an impromptu kubotan that someone could use in emergencies when a better defense tool was unavailable. That is why they are constructed with quality, thick walled aluminum, titanium or steel. So that when employing pressure control techniques, joint locks, or hammer strikes one can know that their pen won't break at a critical moment. I believe that the idea is fairly sound if somewhat taken to a ridiculous end sometimes. A kubotan is an amazingly effective tool when employed properly and it is quite effective for smaller individuals as well. A pen is something I have on me everyday at all times so this idea is pretty good. Now, if the companies that manufacture these types of pens would stop trying to make them look like weapons and focus on the strength of the pen body I think this idea would carry more weight.

Jake

• 5 weeks later...

I like the idea of this pen. The ballpoint users should definitely not have all the fun when it comes to "tactical" things.

I was wondering if anybody had anything further on this pen? Was any headway made on which nibs fit the pen? What about which converters fit it? Thanks.

JSR

I tried to order a couple of different converters that have a good chance of fitting, but the company never filled my order. Then I never got around to trying again. It's still on my list of things to do...

In my opinion, a tool that doesn't carry a beer bottle opener cannot be called tactical ;)

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

• 1 month later...

JFYI, I just got one of these pens -- the nib appears to be a chinese IPG fake (link to RB.) It has the five petaled-flower imprinted, the imprint isn't very good, and it is not steel. Could be chrome plated. Not up to par to a german made nib, unfortunately. Dang, I had high hopes. :( Oh well, guess you get what you pay for. Off to ink it. :)

I have never seen one scrap of evidence that Chinese nibs are poor quality and contain no tipping material, other than a few off hand racist remarks of "its Chinese so it must be rubbish".

Neither have I and I own a good share of various Chinese fountain pens! Some of them write every bit as smoothly as the high priced brand name pens! I don't know if the Chinese pens were always as good as they are these days, with the advent of computerized manufacturing and the six sigma quality systems in place in many of these Chinese factories? I think Chinese products in general are much improved over what they were some years back? Everything from buttons to bullets! B)

At the risk of being flamed... Wondering what exactly makes any one pen more "Tactical" than others?At the risk of being flamed... Wondering what exactly makes any one pen more "Tactical" than others?

Quite simple. It's the kind of pen you brandish like a shiny anodised cosh during heated arguments. It's way more tactful than shaking a fist.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I ordered a black one a few months ago. I got a copper one. I liked the copper one, so I kept it.

It's a nice pen, solid, writes well, and feels substantial.

It's a heavy pen (even unposted). After a few minutes of jotting notes, I felt like I was getting a workout.

Conan the Grammarian

“No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film.” ~ Robert Adams

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Cogito ergo spud. [i think therefore I yam.]

I just picked mine up the other day. The clip is definitely solid and I actually like it because it stays put on my uniform. Great for a "working" FP in a military environment.

"Never ask a man if he's a pilot. If he's not, you'll only embarrass him. If he is...he'll tell you."

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

This thread piqued my interest in this pen and I ordered a brown one from Amazon, which arrived yesterday. A very well-made pen! Pity about the lack of a converter, but then a 'tactical' pen should use cartridges, I suppose. The nib appears to be a Chinese IPG (it doesn't have "Schmidt" written on it), but it is extremely smooth and wrote from the very start with no skipping whatsoever.

S.T. Dupont Ellipsis 18kt M nib

Opus 88 Flow steel M nib

Waterman Man 100 Patrician Coral Red 18kt factory stub nib

Franklin-Christoph Model 19 with Masuyama 0.7mm steel cursive italic nib

Thanks for the review, you have made my mind to have one of these tactical beauties.

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

Thanks for the review, you have made my mind to have one of these tactical beauties.

+1. In fact, mine just arrived; going to order a second one to set up for use with the roller tip.

Interestingly, I first tried to order this through the Blade Play link provided earlier in the thread, but they wouldn't let me check out -- there was a message to the effect of "We cannot ship this type of item to New York State, please delete from cart in order to proceed with checkout". Seriously? :rolleyes: Was able to order from Amazon just fine.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg (member since 8/28/10) Current pens:fpn_1314757310__pen_logo_collage_083011_450_hr.jpg

I received mine yesterday. I bought two, one black, the other in copper. I write a lot at work, and have been using the copper one all day, I have to say that I'm impressed. This one lays down a nice, wet, medium line, with no skipping or hesitation. The pen is huge, not for a wimpy pocket. I've been carrying it clipped inside my left front jeans pocket. I have a lot of money invested in fountain pens, I didn't really need another, but I'm glad I added a couple of these to my collection. Thanks for the tip.

Larry

• 3 months later...

My copper Shrade was a very smooth writer. It's ruggedness is what makes it exceptional, and I enjoyed reading about its use by uniformed military, because the pen really would make a statement in that situation.

It is not really tactical, because it is too over the top aggressive looking. Hence my sad tale. I was checking in my bags at the airport, and realized I had my pen in my jeans pocket. Not wanting to risk security with it, I slipped it into the zippered outer pocket in checked baggage. Last time I saw it.

Just ordered my second one. Anyone get this pen past TSA?

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

ok! nice pen ! buy it but remember that you can't go with it in a commercial airline!! then pen will keep in the security line of Rx.

shame and a lot of explanations!

• 2 months later...

Hi

has anyone managed to find a converter or cartridge to fit the Schrade Tactical Fountain Pen? The advertisements say it requires a 38mm European cartridge.

What brand/model fits this pen?

Thanks

==

Update (http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/reference.php?id=3)

International "Standard" Size

International Size cartridges/converters are made to an industry standard by many manufacturers and will fit many models as in the list below. If your pen doesn't appear in the list it is still quite likely that it takes standard size cartridges. These cartridges are 38mm (1.5in) long and taper slightly. Examples of suitable converters can be found on this page. However, some pens that take International Size cartridges may not accept a converter because the barrel is either too short or too narrow.

Bexley

Caran d'Ache

Cartier

Conklin

Conway Stewart

Daniel Hechter

Delta

Elysee

Faber Castell

Franklin Covey

Graf von Faber Castell

Jörg Hysek

Kaweco

Lalex

Manuscript

Montblanc

Montegrappa

Monteverde

Nettuno

Pelikan

Recife

Retro 51

Rotring

Sensa

Sigma

ST Dupont

Stipula

Tombow

Visconti

Waldmann

Waterman (models from past 30 years or so)

Yard-O-Led

Converters

http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/showproduct.php?brand=Monteverde&range=converters&cat=spares

A range of standard ("International") size converters from Monteverde. Four types are available:

- Threaded type for Conway Stewart, Caran d'Ache and other pens that require a threaded converter. This converter is exactly the same as the type used by Conway Stewart (except it does not have gold-plating on the metal parts).

- Clear type that will fit most pens that do not take a proprietary cartridge or converter (except small cartridge-only pens). 69.5mm long, max diameter 7.4mm.

- Green type - same as clear.

- Mini slide converter for small pens. 61mm long, max diameter 6.8mm (note: this will not fit a Yard-O-Led Pocket Viceroy).

Edited by Steve01

Lamy Safari fine, Lamy Logo extra fine, Pilot Lucina fine

OFF-TOPIC (-ish) POST ALERT!

If any of you is looking for a specific pen to use for self-defence (or in a 'Tactical' situation) then, as your Attorney, I advise you to watch the John Cusack/Minnie Driver film Grosse Pointe Blank.

:D

Edited by Mercian

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

The only converter which fits the Scrade Tactical Pen is the Monteverde® Mini Ink Converter. Measurements: Plunger extended: 57.8mm (2.25 inches) - (pen barrel needs to be long enough to accomodate the converter with plunger fully extended). Plunger closed: 38.5mm (1.5 inches) ¤ Diameter: 6.9mm (.25 inches)

post-35847-0-35907700-1336315221.jpg

These Monteverde Mini Ink Converters (approx. £2.10 plus postage)are available from

- http://www.go-authentic.com/new/fountain-pen-ink-converter-pumps.html

- http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/showproduct.php?brand=Monteverde&range=converters&cat=spares#text

===

There are areometric squeeze converters available that fit pens designed in such as they won't take carts longer than standard International size.

I have a couple of those, as well as the long ones similar to the long International carts, they work really well when twist converters don't fit certain pens.

Just an idea, thought I'd mention them as an option.

Here's a couple of shots borrowed from the Tryphon Catalog, although you can get these from kit pen suppliers too.

First, the larger size or standard areometric squeeze converter...

http://www.tryphon.it/ae.jpg

If that's too long there's the shorter version that's about the size of an International cartridge, Tryphon calls this a Bantam Ink Converter...

http://www.tryphon.it/ba.jpg

As for the word "Tactical", definitely marketing ploy.

My Rockport boots I wore while in uniform were marketed as being Tactical S.W.A.T., no idea why other than trying to appease a L.E. niche and to drive the cost up.

I like that the pen looks as if it could be run over by a Bradley M2/3 and probably still write just fine, I wouldn't try that with my Pelikan!

Edited by Steve01

Lamy Safari fine, Lamy Logo extra fine, Pilot Lucina fine

Love that color! Reminds me of the way Rotring seemed to be going for a while as far as the looks of the pen. Cool review!