Buffing out scuff marks on matte black finish

Scribbles

Is it possible to buff out light scuff marks on a matte black finish laquer. Specifically I'm talking about a matte black Parker Sonnet. I picked up the FP at a reduced price due to the scuff marks and I'm wondering if there is a way to take them out. I'd like to preserve the matte finish.

Pardon me if the topic has come up before and I missed it when I searched through earlier posts. There are alot of threads on buffing but I didn't see anything specific to the finish on the Sonnet.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scribbles

• Dillo

• Ron Z

• Oxonian

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Scribbles,

First thing to do is make sure that they are scuff marks, by that I mean have they actually damaged the material or just ground some dust into the surface or smeared something, a swab with a cotton bud and isopropyl alcohol used for cassette tape head cleaner might remove such crud.

On a matte finish any polishing is going damage the finish and go a long way to making it gloss in the places where the scuff marks were even if you succeed in removing them which will be just as noticeable as the scuff marks were. There is also a chance that some of the marks may well disappear with use and handling.

Sorry that I can't think of anything better to suggest but best of luck.

Cheers John

On a matte finish any polishing is going damage the finish and go a long way to making it gloss in the places where the scuff marks were even if you succeed in removing them which will be just as noticeable as the scuff marks were. There is also a chance that some of the marks may well disappear with use and handling.

Sorry that I can't think of anything better to suggest but best of luck.

I suspected that this would be the case a matte finish. That's why I asked here before doing anything. Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try cleaning the barrel to see if the mark comes off.

I tried to answer this question this morning, but the internet and phones were up and down all day, with a pretty good chance that they would be down when you hit the send button.... :bonk:

In most cases, the matte finish in a painted surface (which is what laquer finishes are) is in the paint. It may be applied to the surface of the laquer, but may also very well be the paint itself that is matte or satin.

If you try to buff, scuff or otherwise restore the matte finish, I would think that you would stand a good chance of polishing the finish instead of blending into the good areas. Either that or you would remove so much of the laque finish that you'd end up with a bare spot. Cleaning gently with alcohol or naptha (lighter fluid) may remove the marks if they are on top of the finish. Otherwise you're pretty much stuck with things the way that they are.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Thanks to both of you for responding.

I would not have noticed the marks on the barrel had I not given the pen a thorough examination. Given your advice I should probably just leave it as is if a good cleaning does not fix the issue. I think the worst case is I have a nice looking pen that I won't obsess over keeping "perfect".

Hi,

If you are sure that the pen is plastic, I have sucessfully feathered in scuff marks with low grit Micromesh, but it is tricky and rather risky. I normally do it gently, a little like sanding, but not in a fixed direction. :)

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi,

If you are sure that the pen is plastic, I have sucessfully feathered in scuff marks with low grit Micromesh, but it is tricky and rather risky. I normally do it gently, a little like sanding, but not in a fixed direction. :)

Dillon

It's a matte black Parker Sonnet Dillon. Any bufing or "feathering" will make the spot worse because it's an applied surface on a brass base.

Huge mistake to try & buff it. This is one of those things you'll learn as you gain more experience in FP repairs.