Montblanc (Mb) Rollerball (Rb) Medium Refills - Comprehensive Thread?

eagle007

eagle007, here's some qick pics I took just now.

In 2b, you'll see the 3/16 brass tubling that I will heat over a small flame on the stove, then slowly and firmly push into the G2's thick collar. I had to do this two or three times to reach the end of the collar before the clear plastic tube.

In 3b after three heating and inserting sessions, I got the brass tubing as far down as possbile, about 1/8 inche before the clear tube.

In 4b, this shows the amount of G2 point showing after the heating and inserting sessions. The point displayed here is the same amount as using tghe original MB roller ball. I think I'll use this process instead of shaving using a razor utility knife. Good luck

post-34996-0-19410100-1304912552.jpg

Goldbluff - amazing stuff! after using the brass tubing, did you need to put a spacer on top of the refill and cut it down as you needed to with the exacto solution?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eagle007

• goldbluff

• lovemy51

• carlosjaviercontreras

eagle007 - I did not need a spacer to the front of the G2, as it matched the length of the MB refill. I had to add two round felt self-adhesive to the end so the G2 wouldn't slip back into the barrel.

Hi all - some progress today. I sung by a local staples store just to look around to see if I could find something else that might work and as I was looking at the section where all the refills are, I notice a Pilot gel refill that was not a G2 (does anyone know what G2 stands for/means?) but was a Pentel Energel refill. It looked almost exactly like the refill pic that Mohanjude posted a few days ago. So I grabbed two refills for about 1/4 of the price of a typical MB refill (so that's 1/8 price per refill).

I put the refill in the MB and it 98% fits. its about 1mm short. So, not having any adhesive pads the goldbluff has shown us with, I took some scotchtape and rolled up two different pieces and put them in the open end of the pen to make it slightly longer.

And Voila. I have a gel ink pen in my MB working now. FWIW, the nib end does protrude somewhat further than the original MB refill, but it doesnt move around, so that doesnt bother me.

I'll post results when i get the Schmidt 888s and I'll let you all know how that goes. I'm also going to swing by an ACE store soon and make this solution a bit better by using those adhesive circles goldbluff has shown us.

Haven't used the gel ink long enough to report on the refill itself, but it feels close enough to a G2 so far (same manufacturer)

*Has* anyone been successful in refilling a MB rollerball refill with fountain pen ink using a syringe?

*Has* anyone been successful in refilling a MB rollerball refill with fountain pen ink using a syringe?

While searching this forum someone here said they were... that's why I put it on there. You pop the back of the pen off, refill, and then put it back on. Apparently.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all - just wanted to give a quick update on two fronts:

1. I received the Schmidt 888 refills from amazon (bluRafia ceramic RBs) and those are much easier to screw into the MB and create threads that are necessary to hold it into place. You need to screw it in quite a bit and it gets tough towards the end of trying to get the nib to stick out as far as it can. But it works, so that may be a good options for those who are unable to get the G2 to work. I have not used it that much to know whether the refills dry out as quickly as the MBs.

2. I also have a MB BP pen and in the process of trying to find a refill for the MB RB and came across the yafa BP refill which i had heard is very similar to a G2 refill. I bought some and have been trying it out over the past few weeks. I got the medium point, blue and it write really nicely. The only problem I have with it is that it is a very wet pen. In the sense that it takes several minutes to dry on the page. I'm always getting ink on my hands etc as I write with it. I need to a look around for a better refill - that said, the ink is very nice and blue, very similar to the G2 in that sense.

• 2 months later...

I love my FP's AND my RB's.

I hated my Waterman Carene RB until I read that I could put a Pilot G2 refill in it...now I love it.

I loved the body of my MB RB but had given up on it as I hated the refills - as noted above, scratchy and dry out too fast. (I have to laugh at all the sites that tell you how to hack an MB refill into a G2 body....if only it would work the other way! Easily, that is.)

So I was quite optimistic when I found Private Reserve MB RB refills. Medium. In blue. And not too expensive. (2 for $8 including shipping) I got mine today from this ebay seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370530480349?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The writing is smooth. I just hope it doesn't dry up quickly.

The MB RB is off the desk and into the purse....life is looking up.

MaryAlice

Steward of Henry's Pens

Mary, thanks!

Can you let us know how it goes over the next two weeks to see if it dries out?

Thanks

I love my FP's AND my RB's.

I hated my Waterman Carene RB until I read that I could put a Pilot G2 refill in it...now I love it.

I loved the body of my MB RB but had given up on it as I hated the refills - as noted above, scratchy and dry out too fast. (I have to laugh at all the sites that tell you how to hack an MB refill into a G2 body....if only it would work the other way! Easily, that is.)

So I was quite optimistic when I found Private Reserve MB RB refills. Medium. In blue. And not too expensive. (2 for $8 including shipping) I got mine today from this ebay seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370530480349?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The writing is smooth. I just hope it doesn't dry up quickly.

The MB RB is off the desk and into the purse....life is looking up.

• 8 months later...

Sorry for reawakening an old thread, but I thought it better than to create a new thread.

After reading this thread, I went ahead and bought a Faber Castell ceramic rollerball refill (model# 148713). The size of this refill is exactly the same as my MB rollerball refill. I went ahead and screwed it in so that the pen can cut some threads in the plastic neck of the faber castell refill. I had to unscrew and rescrew a couple of times before it could go all in. Now the refill is adjusted in the correct proportion and I'm loving it. The pen is no longer scratchy - I like the almost fountain pen like experience with the larger refill size.

I just hope it doesnt dry out like the mont blanc refills and I'll be very happy !

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I made an adaptor to fit the Monteverde Soft Refill into the Starwalker Resin. I use the MB 142 Blue/Black broad, suits my writing style well.

Perfect fit, no rattle, no give under writing pressure, very smooth ink. Simply slips into the top of the refill and supports within the barrel.

How do you load a piccy?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

i use the Pentel Energel refill with a couple of adjustments.

this is what you see in the pic -aside from the pen itself, of course:

1) Energel refill

2) End cap taken from an old G2 refill (this you can see attached to the back of the refill).

3) 1/2 inch spring cut to fit from an old BP (this goes at the end of the barrel, not on the tip, to put preassure on the refill).

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/P7180003.jpg

this gel refills last a long time. once it's empty, i'll just re-use the black cap and leave the spring in the barrel.

i have and works just fine. just make sure not to over-flow the foam tube inside.

pull back cap off. inject ink into tube. replace cap. write-on.

• 10 months later...

Pilot RT refills are verrrry close to Mont Blanc MEISTERSTUCK Rollerballs. Almost exact. Weeks of real use testing are necessary but so far, very good. The two that fit so well are PILOT V BALL RT and PILOT PRECISE V5 RT. They even self tap lightly into the MB threads. If they don't last with in the thread lock I will cut up one of the springs form the Pilot pen or shave an eraser to fit in the back of the pen.

I have a low intensity commercial war going on against the MB Rollerball refills because an $8 refill for the world benchmark for pretentious pens should last as long as a $2 Pilot G2 pen... and write as smoothly. I have the same problem with watches; $500+ watches should be at least as accurate (and durable) as my $50 Casio G Shock. Otherwise why not just laminate a receipt and hang it from your hat, like Minnie Pearl?

The Zwingster

I've used Uniball's Jetstream. It's a perfect fit. The ink is a gel/ball point mix and does not dry out very fast. It can be used in capless pen. The end is open so you'll need a big spring to put at the end of the pen. The jetstream is also very smooth and comes in fine and medium. It's much better than the MB.

• 1 year later...

Pilot RT refills are verrrry close to Mont Blanc MEISTERSTUCK Rollerballs. Almost exact. Weeks of real use testing are necessary but so far, very good. The two that fit so well are PILOT V BALL RT and PILOT PRECISE V5 RT. They even self tap lightly into the MB threads. If they don't last with in the thread lock I will cut up one of the springs form the Pilot pen or shave an eraser to fit in the back of the pen.

I have a low intensity commercial war going on against the MB Rollerball refills because an $8 refill for the world benchmark for pretentious pens should last as long as a $2 Pilot G2 pen... and write as smoothly. I have the same problem with watches; $500+ watches should be at least as accurate (and durable) as my $50 Casio G Shock. Otherwise why not just laminate a receipt and hang it from your hat, like Minnie Pearl?

Zwingster,

have you tried anything else since this post as an alternative to MB RB refills?

• 4 months later...

No, I wouldn't use them even if they were free. My 163 Solitaire was seldom used until I figured out how to use a Pilot G2 refill on it.

I put a small piece of soft cylindrical eraser (Solita Push Eraser refill) at the bottom of the barrel. Then I simply put a Pilot G2 refill in it without cutting out threads or anything. It stays firmly in place while I write and the point doesn't wiggle at all. No I love carrying my Malachite roller. It is a Meisterstück though, but it should work OK on a Starwalker, too.

Sorry to bother you carlosjavier contreras but could you post again some pictures of what you do, they're no longer available.

Wow. Whenever there are discussions on this forum about refilling MB rollerball refills there is often the comment that it is too complicated. Pop off the rear cap off of the refill and use an eyedropper to saturate the internal foam with MB ink of the appropriate color. I have been using the same MB rollerball refill for years (multiple refills)! If someone is interested in experimenting with new methods or playing around then that is fine. All of these suggestions, including boiling the refill, seem very complicated. But if the issue is simply that the roller ball is empty, just fill it up again.