Caran D'ache Saffron

Owner of a Lonely Heart

Hello again FPN! Here is a review of a very unique ink... I love this stuff and I think everyone needs to see this in person! I found this ink to be more saturated in my scan... In real life this ink is a more orange color, but no less incredible. Also the scan didn't pick up the completely baffling shading this ink has! enjoy!

PS. Sorry I have no alternate color swabs... this ink is just so stand alone I don't have much to compare it to!

post-53097-0-70626600-1304464439.jpg

post-53097-0-49887900-1304465133.jpg

Edited by Owner of a Lonely Heart

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Owner of a Lonely Heart

• jgrasty

• Ink Sandwich

• MidnightBlue

I have the same and it's barely readable. Too expensive I might add!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks

This is such a beautiful ink! It behaves so differently in each of my pens, too. Love it. Thanks for the great review!

:puddle:

This ink is simply gorgeous!!

I'll get myself a bottle as soon as I can. Even when it is more saturated in the scan, this look like the orange I've been looking for. Can't wait to fill my flex pen with it! Maybe I could compare it to my Edelstein Mandarin once I have it ... but this one looks so much nicer already.

Oh man, this kicks the (bleep) out of Mandarin! This ink I have to say is easily THE orange!

This ink is in my top favourite three orange inks, along with Sailor's Kin-molusei and MB's Gandhi. CdA's Saffron easily has the best shading though. I wrote in a review that it feels like writing with a flickering fire, and it's true. :thumbup:

"flickering fire" couldn't be closer to the truth :)

I ordered every "orange" ink sample I could buy and have to admit "I'm just mad about Saffron"! :roflmho: Not to mention Cd'A, as usual, was the best behaved. :thumbup:

Ken McDaniel

<")}}}>><(

This ink is outstanding in a pen with a flexible nib.

It also works superbly in "A" nib school pens too !!

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab19/yuckkie/Scribblings/CDASaffron02a.jpg

https://imgur.com/8TOQh8v

"Oey !! Gimme back my pen !"

I love this colour. I use it in in one of the pair of Sailor desk pens that sit on my desk (the other has Caran d'Ache Storm). Wish my handwriting was nicer; I love the shading that Apotheosis and Owner of a Lonely Heart get. Totally agree with kenmc, "I'm just mad about Saffron".

Catherine

MB's Gandhi is of course a great suggestion but I'm still surprised that nobody has yet mentioned Herbin's Orange Indien!

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I'm also a fan of this special ink. I enjoy using it when editing hard copy because it jumps off the page. The shading is spectacular and mirrors that of far more expensive inks such as Edelstein and Iroshizuku.

Edited by Cryptowolf

I went out and bought a bottle of it today, and I must say - I'm disappointed ...

I was expecting something more vibrant and saturated (maybe that's also due to the scans in the OP) and well - orange. The bottle I got actually leans strongly to the yellow side of orange, though I'd prefer it to be more red (again, like in the scan). It even seems to have some very faint green undertones compared to Pelikan Mandarin.

Sorry you are disappointed :( I mentioned in my post that the scans weren't accurate, and I'm sorry it didn't turn out well for you... I hope you grow to like it though! :)

Given the price differential, I go with Herbin's Orange Indien. The shading is just as spectacular, it rinses quickly from the pen and I can afford to buy more.

Caran d'Ache Saffron, as well as other orange inks like J. Herbin Orange Indien, Montblanc Mahatma Gandhi, Iroshizuku Yu-Yake and Noodler's Apache Sunset all behave differently in different pens and with different paper. The trick is to find the one that fits your style or personality. My favorite is Apache Sunset, which can be pale yellow to bright red, depending on the pen, nib and paper. Simply amazing, the sheer variety of shading that this ink is capable of.

Samples, you need samples, not scans. Trust me on this.