How To Clean A Ballpoint Pen?

Bromio

Hello.

My only ballpoint pen, an amazing Parker Jotter, has suffered an accident when, inexplicably, the refill in its body exploded. The oil ink stained the inside of the body.

Do you know how could I clean it?

Thank you.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bromio

• pvector

• parkercrazy

• lws

Not a clue. I can tell you how to get ballpoint pen out of the fabric of your sports jacket (hairspray works wonders) but don't know what would dissolve the oily ick without damaging the body of the pen.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

... but don't know what would dissolve the oily ick without damaging the body of the pen.

That's the problem. I've tried to clean with water, but, obviously, most ink remains inside the body.

If anymore has some idea...

I suggest for comment (don't try this until someone else confirms): I think the plastics of the Jotter should stand up to alcohol, so you should be able to use an alcohol-soaked swab to remove the offending matter.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I don't think I would use the alcohol. Lysol Bath and Tile aerosol spray or Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner in aerosol have worked. They both foam white, and you can use a cotton swab with them to work on the ink. I think detergents will disolve the oil-based ink. Laundry soap might work.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't use bathroom cleaners unless I looked up every ingredient and could find one without any weird unrelated things.

Use the alcohol if it's safe on the plastic. It's grease you're trying to cut.

Hi,

Rubbing alcohol will work just fine, I have used this method to clean ink out of jotters for many years and have never had a problem. works with brass or plastic threads. Just be carefull not to get it on the plastic barrel, as it will dull the shine. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Francis

• 2 weeks later...

Use alcohol/methylated spirits - just stand the pen in a container of it overnight and pour it off in the morning. Repeat as needed until all the ink comes out.

Metho also works for anytime you get ballpoint ink any place it isn't supposed to be (clothes, desks, walls... don't ask about that one.)

- Lewis.

Li-aung Yip (Lewis)

B.Eng. (Elec&Electronic) + B.Sc (Mathematics) James Cook University - MIEEE GradIEAust

http://lws.nfshost.com/pix/Laplace-Sig.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

First, soak the pen overnight in diesel. The next day, rinse it in benzene, followed by acetone, and finally, an overnight soak in undiluted pool acid. Whatever is left of the pen the next day, should flush away easily. Then get a new one.

Just joking....I agree with the alcohol, it works fine and it won't damage the barrel. Good luck!

I'd go with alcohol first. Soak the swabs and not the barrel and be patient. Whatever remains can probably be eradicated by WD40, again on the swabs and not on the barrel. Dishwashing liquid solution to wash out the WD40.

“It's not the last blow of the axe that fells the tree.”

• 3 years later...

Hello, All,

I know this is an older thread, but just in case someone can benefit from my experiment, here goes. I came across a very early Parker Jotter in extremely nice condition, except that the original ink cartridge had leaked into the 'clicker' mechanism of the cap. The cap was so full of ink the cap button was 'frozen' in place. Since the pen was so nice otherwise, I wanted to be as careful as possible. So..I tried an old product that I knew to be effective, but gentle, L.O.C. (Liquid Organic Cleaner) from Amway. I simply immersed the pen in a container of the LOC and within about 5 minutes, was able to work the button. Then I just put the cap back in some more LOC and left it overnight. The next day it rinsed out clean as a whistle!!

Thanks for all the other ideas as well!

• 3 months later...

after some experimentation, rubbing alcohol is fine too. just let it soak in for a while and the ink will wash off

I just mentioned this in another thread. An old Esterbrook took 5 weeks of soaking in naptha( white gas, ie coleman fuel) to soften and dissolve the old dried ink. It had probably been this way for years before I got it. If the ink is soft, a few hours of soaking and rinsing should take care of the problem.

Regards

Jeff