Converter With Pilot Parallel

joshk

I picked up a 6mm Pilot Parallel because I like the width and the shading it gives with a variety of inks. However, the converter supplied with it stated it's use was cleaning the pen. I figured it would work just as well for filling with other inks.

I noticed it wasn't nearly as secure as the cartridges. Did I get a defective one? Are there better converters for this pen?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TWRDO

• joshk

• John Cullen

• Surnia

Top Posters In This Topic

It really is only for cleaning the pen, which is why it isn't very secure. So, it isn't defective. You might want to try another pilot converter. The con-50 or the con-20 might fit -the con20 looks like the converter used to clean the pen. You can probably convert it to an eyedropper-fill with some silicone grease. Maybe someone will chime in with their experiences.

"No one can be a great thinker who does not recognize that as a thinker it is his first duty to follow his intellect to whatever conclusions it may lead. Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." -J.S. Mill, On Liberty

In my experience - and I've verified this with multiple converters of the type included with the Parallel - the converter actually fits significantly tighter than the cartridges. I even just now whipped out my calipers and measured the inner diameter of one of the cartridges and the converter that came with my Parallel and found the measurements to be .215 in and .214, respectively, so the converter is, in fact, tighter fitting.

Therefore, I ask this: Are you ABSOLUTELY positive you're pushing the converter on all the way? All of mine require enough pressure to push onto the nipple that it's hard to be sure they're firmly seated.

Music, verily, is the mediator between intellectual and sensuous life, the one incorporeal entrance into the high world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend. -Ludwig van Beethoven

In my experience - and I've verified this with multiple converters of the type included with the Parallel - the converter actually fits significantly tighter than the cartridges. I even just now whipped out my calipers and measured the inner diameter of one of the cartridges and the converter that came with my Parallel and found the measurements to be .215 in and .214, respectively, so the converter is, in fact, tighter fitting.

Therefore, I ask this: Are you ABSOLUTELY positive you're pushing the converter on all the way? All of mine require enough pressure to push onto the nipple that it's hard to be sure they're firmly seated.

Actually no. The converter seems rather flimsy in construction so I haven't forced it all the way down like a cartridge. Will try pushing it further.

I love the lines on this pen, I just with the converter was better.

Actually no. The converter seems rather flimsy in construction so I haven't forced it all the way down like a cartridge. Will try pushing it further.

I love the lines on this pen, I just with the converter was better.

I know what you mean. The converter itself doesn't make it any easier, but you can push harder on it than you think would be OK.

Music, verily, is the mediator between intellectual and sensuous life, the one incorporeal entrance into the high world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend. -Ludwig van Beethoven

My problem with my 1.5mm Parallel was the opposite -- I inserted the converter as tightly as I could, then, when I tried to remove it, the rubber sac came off in my hand, together with the pressure bar, leaving the lip of the converter still firmly seated inside the pen! Any suggestions on how to get it off?

S.T. Dupont Ellipsis 18kt M nib

Opus 88 Flow steel M nib

Waterman Man 100 Patrician Coral Red 18kt factory stub nib

Franklin-Christoph Model 19 with Masuyama 0.7mm steel cursive italic nib

I run with a CON-20 in my Parallels, they're a tight fit but they work. Just make sure its firmly seated, and with a clear section on the Parallels it should be decently easy to see it.

My problem with my 1.5mm Parallel was the opposite -- I inserted the converter as tightly as I could, then, when I tried to remove it, the rubber sac came off in my hand, together with the pressure bar, leaving the lip of the converter still firmly seated inside the pen! Any suggestions on how to get it off?

I've always worried about that in the wrap around converters on the pilots, I've usually just held the lower metal bit and pulled from there.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg Member since Sept 7, 2010

TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado

Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood

Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

• 3 years later...

ohhh i had the same question… I pushed and pushed and then it went all the way and it is now very secured! at the rate the ink gets used , i would prefer the cartridges so i pace myself to one cartridge of ink at a time. Thanks for the hint!

Edited by Oldtimer

• 4 years later...

I use the Con-50 with Pilot Parallel in using the pen as a refillable highlighter. Works just fine.

What sort of ink do you use that works well as a highlighter over other text?