The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Expanding Nib Retipping Services!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 GregMinuskin

GregMinuskin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2011 - 19:22

Hi All,

Just thought I would share some of my recent nib retips; Enjoy the photos! Remember, no long turn around times here, 2-3 weeks at the most!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com
Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

Sponsored Content

#2 inky

inky

Got ink?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2011 - 20:40

Very cool pictures.

Dumb question - is it possible or advisable to change an extra-fine to a medium through retipping? Or is this done by grinding? Sorry, I really don't know anything about this kind of thing.
Sheaffer Targa - Parker Penman Sapphire----- Luoshi - Silk Road Green
Twsbi - Noodler's North African Violet-----Lamy Vista - Noodler's Marine Green

WTB Lamy Terracotta and Savannah, Sweden LE, Japan LE
Posted ImageMember since 1-28-11

#3 GregMinuskin

GregMinuskin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2011 - 21:27

Very cool pictures.

Dumb question - is it possible or advisable to change an extra-fine to a medium through retipping? Or is this done by grinding? Sorry, I really don't know anything about this kind of thing.

Thanks for your message. Yes, you can retip to a larger size if you like; I do it all the time with nibs that have fine tips and folks are looking for a more usable, less scratchy medium point.

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com
Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

#4 Gobblecup

Gobblecup

Autodidactic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 20:55

Hi Greg,

email sent
Gobblecup ~

#5 Basset

Basset

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:35

Very cool pictures.

Thanks for your message. Yes, you can retip to a larger size if you like; I do it all the time with nibs that have fine tips and folks are looking for a more usable, less scratchy medium point.

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

A few years back I picked up an Omas Arco celluloid that was going for a song - in part, I think, because the nib was a scratchy EF. I sent it to Greg to add iridium and grind it to a stub. No issues with flow; the pen's worked out great. Greg sent a pic of the Arco with writing sample (with two other pens he did) before sending it out, so I could check out the line variation.

Posted Image

The job was so inexpensive and quick . . . a few months later, I sent another find (a Duofold)for similar work. This time, I sent along a pen ground by a different nibmeister and told Greg, "Retip and grind the Duofold to match this other pen (a Vac)." A couple weeks later, he sent this photo. Worked out perfectly.

Posted Image

When going to a broader tip, the nibmeister has to judge what the feed will accommmodate and advise accordingly. In my cases, the feeds handled the flow needs without a hitch.

Greg's not the only meister I've gone to, but I remain a fan.

Sponsored Content

|