Jump to content

The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies






Photo

Goldfink Wonderfuller


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 opus7600

opus7600

    Neophiliac

  • Member - Gold

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  • Location:Probably my office.

Posted 24 April 2011 - 14:29

Posted Image

I asked Tom Westerich if he could possibly add an ink window to the design, and the solution was to make the whole section out of transparent acrylic. It works quite well.
Posted Image

Tom provided me with an EF nib with a touch of flex. (flex sample).
Posted Image
Posted Image

Comparison shots (capped, uncapped, section) with: Parker 51, Gate City New Postal Senior, Goldfink Wonderfuller, Conway Stewart Churchill, and Montblanc 149.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Construction & Quality
Everything feels solid, and seams are impossible to find by touch. Threads are smooth, knurling is crisp, pen is nice and shiny in all the spots it should be. The cap posts securely on the back where there is a screw for it, though I personally find it too long like that and use it unposted. Tom makes each pen to order, so you have many options for coloration. Other examples are shown at http://www.penboard....st/GOFI/GOWU/1.

Weight & Dimensions
Inked, capped: 30g
Inked, uncapped: 20g
The center of gravity falls right between nib and blind end.

The girth definitely qualifies the pen as oversized. Best pens to compare it to: Montblanc 149, Pelikan M1000, and Delta Dolcevita Piston. I've been using it as my main writer for the past week, and I like the way it feels. If I were to get another, I'd probably request that the section not go in so much at the narrowest bit - I'd ask if it could be cylindrical like a MB 149.

Nib & Performance
Nib and feed are both oversized, matching the pen nicely. The nib is semiflex, giving variation from EF to about B. Thanks to Tom for doing a custom grind for me. I've had no starting, skipping, or blobbing issues at all.

Filling System & Maintenance
The Wonderfuller is something like a button filler, but rather than a button, you just turn the knurled bit at the blind end. That works a mechanism inside that compresses the sac for you. It's much handier than a button filler, because there's no blind cap to misplace, and nicer than a lever because there's no metal to stab under your fingernails.


Cost & Value
Current export price is 760 Euro.

Conclusion
Buying from Tom was a pleasure, and I am happy with the results.

Edited by opus7600, 24 April 2011 - 14:30.


Sponsored Content

#2 shaqin93

shaqin93

    Awesome!

  • Member - Gold

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Location:Singapore

Posted 24 April 2011 - 14:44

Wonderful! Ohnoes I couldn't resist.
I like the shape of the pen. And the filling system is ingenious.

#3 rockspyder

rockspyder

    Collectors Item

  • Member - Gold

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2011 - 17:22

I just love these...I have 3, and a Masciarelli as well - same basic idea, but with the barrel made of Barrique wood.
The huge nibs and feeds are stunning :cloud9:

#4 Nikolaos

Nikolaos

    Collectors Item

  • Member - Gold

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 18:35

Great pen. I saw Tom's pens in person at the Cologne pen show and they are amazing! Beautiful work and nice oversized pens. Very impressive work and certainly on my list for the future

Nikolaos

#5 Nelson Sousa

Nelson Sousa

    Mint

  • Member - Gold

  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Location:Portugal
  • Flag:

Posted 30 August 2011 - 13:23

hello!

is there any official website for this label/company, where to see the product catalog?


regards,

Nelson
WWW.nelsonsousaphoto.com

#6 rockspyder

rockspyder

    Collectors Item

  • Member - Gold

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 August 2011 - 18:39

hello!

is there any official website for this label/company, where to see the product catalog?


regards,

Nelson

Yes, visit www.penboard.de and click on Goldfink, also look at Masciarelli, La Guardia and Fiorentina. All handmade by Tom, beautiful stuff. :thumbup:

#7 Nelson Sousa

Nelson Sousa

    Mint

  • Member - Gold

  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Location:Portugal
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2011 - 23:31

thanks :thumbup:
WWW.nelsonsousaphoto.com

#8 bartl

bartl

    Vintage

  • Member - Gold

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Location:Belgium
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2012 - 19:42

I just ordered one, from his stock, from grey PL celluloid..... :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: Will post when it is in use.

#9 The Royal Pen

The Royal Pen

    Me Irish eyes are smiling, for I've found me perfect blue.

  • Member - Gold

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Location:Dominion of Newfoundland (Newfoundland & Labrador)
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2012 - 20:36

They deserve a fanclub. They're beautiful pens!
Posted Image

#10 bartl

bartl

    Vintage

  • Member - Gold

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Location:Belgium
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2012 - 20:13

The Goldfink Wunderfuller arrived today. I find it striking how Tom succeeds in making a pen that can easily be mistaken for a mint vintage. Pictures will be for another day but trust me: she's a beauty !

#11 eklisiarh

eklisiarh

    Mint

  • Member - Gold

  • PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:20

What ink did you use on the picture nr. 1?
Posted Image

#12 opus7600

opus7600

    Neophiliac

  • Member - Gold

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  • Location:Probably my office.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 14:39

What ink did you use on the picture nr. 1?


The lighting is dismal there, huh? I'd say 75% chance it's a mixture of Noodler's Green Marine & Noodler's Black. 25% chance it's pure Green marine.






Sponsored Content




|