What Is A Good Entry-Level Montblanc?

JonB55198

Hi FPN,

I own at least one of every other major brand. I've been interested in getting a Montblanc but the prices are daunting. I realize the 149 is probably the "classic Montblanc". But, is there a less expensive alternative such as an older model that was produced in higher volumes than Montblanc normally produces pens in? Any ideas to help me get started? Thanks group :)

-Jonathan

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonB55198

• hari317

• seahunter

• Blade Runner

How about a gently used 149 from a trusted FPN member in the marketplace? Modern ones go from $350-500 depending on condition. You can also get a brand new 149 from a non-boutique authorized MB dealer in the US for about $580. I'd would choose the latter, if only for the range of nib choices and warranty. I suggest the 149 because if you like MB, you'll eventually want one, and you'll save money by not getting something else first.

Edited by Blade Runner

What Is A Good Entry-Level Montblanc?

A MB220, very well engineered pen with piston filler, brushed plastic body and designed so that user can take it all apart without the need for any tools.my link Available on ebay for 100-150USD.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

You can also get a brand new 149 from a non-boutique authorized MB dealer in the US for about $580. I'd would choose the latter, if only for the range of nib choices and warranty.

Hi Blade Runner,

I have been thinking about one of these. Where do you suggest as a good non-boutique source?

Thanks,

seahunter

Note that the pens below are vintage sixties/seventies items.

Other suggestions for good entry level Montblanc pens:

Montblanc Meisterstuck No 12 First tier quality

Montblanc Meisterstuck No 14

MB No 22 Second tier quality

MB No 24

MB No 31 Third tier quality

MB No 32

MB No 34

Although I mentioned the 1st, 2nd and 3rd tier quality thing, all of these pens are good quality intstruments.

These pens will have gold nibs, with the exception of No 31, although I have seen 31s with gold nibs.

Cost on eBay can run from $80.00 to $180.00 approx, example below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-MONTBLANC-22-fountain-pen-BLACK-14-kt-585-/330553109612?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf6802c6c

Edited by karmakoda

Note that the pens below are vintage sixties/seventies items.

Other suggestions for good entry level Montblanc pens:

Montblanc Meisterstuck No 12 First tier quality

Montblanc Meisterstuck No 14

MB No 22 Second tier quality

MB No 24

MB No 31 Third tier quality

MB No 32

MB No 34

Although I mentioned the 1st, 2nd and 3rd tier quality thing, all of these pens are good quality intstruments.

These pens will have gold nibs, with the exception of No 31, although I have seen 31s with gold nibs.

Cost on eBay can run from $80.00 to $180.00 approx, example below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-MONTBLANC-22-fountain-pen-BLACK-14-kt-585-/330553109612?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf6802c6c

While i agree 100% with the models you recommend, they are all first tier as they are all mont blanc.

Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?

How about a gently used 149 from a trusted FPN member in the marketplace? Modern ones go from $350-500 depending on condition. You can also get a brand new 149 from a non-boutique authorized MB dealer in the US for about $580. I'd would choose the latter, if only for the range of nib choices and warranty. I suggest the 149 because if you like MB, you'll eventually want one, and you'll save money by not getting something else first.

I couldn't agree more. Go for a used 149 as soon as you can. Very likely, you'll be as happy (or happier) than with a new one. Until you have a 149, you won't quite be at peace!

Hi FPN,

I own at least one of every other major brand. I've been interested in getting a Montblanc but the prices are daunting. I realize the 149 is probably the "classic Montblanc". But, is there a less expensive alternative such as an older model that was produced in higher volumes than Montblanc normally produces pens in? Any ideas to help me get started? Thanks group :)

-Jonathan

I recommend the Monte Rosa. They can be found for a bit above $100 in some cases. Piston-filled, black and gold, of course.

MB 221 is a good started pen for around 100$.

I agree with Trom a used 146 is also good but from my experience will go for around 250$

Respect to all

Jonathan,

A price range would help, but I agree that a used modern 146 is the best choice. It is a piston-filler and is pretty-much problem free.

Fred

You can also get a brand new 149 from a non-boutique authorized MB dealer in the US for about $580. I'd would choose the latter, if only for the range of nib choices and warranty.

I have been thinking about one of these. Can anyone suggest a good non-boutique source for Montblanc? I have not found anyone online in that price range.

Thanks,

seahunter

My first MB was a 149 bought at Joon's NYC. I was so impressed by it (and I had long been using top tier US vintage pens) that I wasn't even interested in looking at another pen for almost 10 years. Saved a lot of money that way instead of beating around the bush and buying a lot of so so pens that would not hold my interest.

- I would save up and get the 149, it really is a great pen, and I believe you eventually would want one if you are interested in Montblancs.

Used ones show up for sale in the market place here regularly, and can be had for a fairly reasonable price.

Thanks hari317 and Blade Runner,

I just did a fph price request, came back at $598. Was hoping could be found for a bit less, but that seems to be about the lowest at an authorized dealer. Don't know much at all about Montblanc sources, but is there an Oscar Braun-type source - I have purchased there and got heavy discounts but they obviously are not a Montblanc dealer.

Edited by seahunter

Was hoping could be found for a bit less, but that seems to be about the lowest at an authorized dealer.

FPN member Daniele seems to be selling used 149s quite regularly on the FPN marketplace, you can go for used 149s too.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Try Worldlux in Washington state. They're competetive with FPH, plus if they have a brick and mortar store, you might go over there, and check them out first hand.

Was hoping could be found for a bit less, but that seems to be about the lowest at an authorized dealer.

FPN member Daniele seems to be selling used 149s quite regularly on the FPN marketplace, you can go for used 149s too.

Thanks hari317, I'm hoping to go new at this point, but may consider used if I can't part with the $600.