Makeshift Pen Bladders.

kip

When you think about the cost of most pens and the cost of sacs, and then you think about the possible consequences of a catastrophic failure of an improvised sac, this is a foolish topic.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• virgilio

• FarmBoy

• JonSzanto

• lallin

When you think about the cost of most pens and the cost of sacs, and then you think about the possible consequences of a catastrophic failure of an improvised sac, this is a foolish topic.

I've been amused.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I've been amused.

Admit it: it was the reference to balloon animals, wasn't it?

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I must admit, I was wondering which balloon animals were being considered. Yet, it might work out and a new pen line will be born. The Ark Fountain Pens.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Be careful or I'll ask what size you buy.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I got my rubber tubing I was planning to try in my bladder pens, but I find that 1/16" walls are too thick; they would cause too much wear and tear to the lever mechanism. I will have to try to find some tubing that has 1/32" walls instead. That is still pretty thick, a lot thicker than the usual pen bladders you find.

I got the 1/32" wall rubber tubing the other day, and it sorks fine with a lever; it is just the right thickness, altho perhaps double the thickenss of your typical pen bladder. I insert it inside a balloon. Next step, to see how long the balloon will hold water without leaking.

INKOGRAPH had the same money saving idea in the 1940s.

fpn_1479659762__inkograph-badidea.jpg

The PVC sac has won against the j-Bar in all of these I've had the pleasure of putting a standard sac into.

Very interesting, thanks. Perhaps they used tubing that was too stiff. The ones I have are about as elastic as normal pen bladders, just thicker. The straws I used were actually easier to depress than normal pen bladders.

I once found a very thick pen bladder in a vintage pen. I do not think it had ever been restored. The lever mechanism worked fine.

Then again, inkographs are not the same as fountain pens, despite the filler mechanism.

Then again, inkographs are not the same as fountain pens, despite the filler mechanism.

Why do you say that? What, in your opinion, is a fountain pen? Most commonly they are pens with an onboard ink supply that flows to the writing tip. That pretty well defines an Inkograph.

Using your definition, a rollerball with a converter, or even a cartridge, the so-called 'inkballs', would also be a fountain pen. Not to be disagreeable, but that would just confuse people. I have nothing against stylographic pens however. If you like them, enjoy.

Using your definition, a rollerball with a converter, or even a cartridge, the so-called 'inkballs', would also be a fountain pen. Not to be disagreeable, but that would just confuse people. I have nothing against stylographic pens however. If you like them, enjoy.

The big differences between a BP/RB and a fountain pen or stylographic pen is the ink and the way that it is laid down on the paper. RB/BP have a thicker ink (BP "oil" based) and a fountain pen very thin water based. RB/BP require the intermediate ball on the end, FP/SP lays the ink directly down on the paper by capillary action.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

virgilio, on 21 Nov 2016 - 21:19, said:

Not really my definition; it is the definition found in the two most authoritative works on words - Merriam Webster and Oxford dictionaries. Also, consistent with Richards Pens definition, with his addition of the word nib. Still covers Inkograph which has a tubular nib.

My original intent in raising the issue was to determine if your statement was due to the oft-cited misinformation that Inkographs are drawing/drafting/technical pens rather than the writing pens they are. Technical stylographs were not available until after Inkograph went out of business. Rapidographs, accounting for most of the technical pen market, were introduced in 1954 (source: The Technical Pen, by Gary Simmons, ISBN 0-8230-5227-3), , Inkograph un-incorporated in 1952 (source: New York State Department of State).

Perhaps some of you have not yet run across the inkballs, which are rollerballs that take fountain pen ink. No special ink needed. About a half a dozen companies make them now. For example J.Herbin and Zebra. There are several discussions about them on this site. I even have some of the Zebras ordered, out of curiosity. The Herbin takes a Monteverdi converter, but with the Zebra you just have to look until you find one that works.

I do not mean to be disagreeable to anyone. One must always remember that even tho most of us are strangers to one another on the net, nevertheless, strangers have feelings too. Some people seem to use the net as a kind of therapy, where they can work out their frustrations without fear of getting into trouble. Not that I am accusing anyone here of doing that, I am just anxious to never do that myself.

• 1 month later...