The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Swan 4660 Hand Written Review

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2011 - 20:50

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
n.b This is the nib before John Sorowka worked on it. It looks great now that it is sorted.
My pen photo galleries - Reorganised

Sponsored Content

#2 Pen Is Mightier

Pen Is Mightier

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2011 - 20:54

Nice writing, and verrry nice pen.
The Pen Is Mightier than the sword.

#3 PaperDarts

PaperDarts

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:09

Ditto. Now I have Swan envy...
"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

#4 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:05

Very nice looking pen! Flex pens are for paced, bucolic writing. That's why they have a special niche in my writing.
Enjoy!

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

#5 somnath1077

somnath1077

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:27

Excellent pen at a great bargain! Thanks for the review.

#6 Inkwisitor

Inkwisitor

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:07

That's a lot of pen and nib for the money. It's good to know that vintage can still provide us with style and fine writing for such a relatively small outlay.
"The cultured man is the man whose interior consciousness is forever obstinately writing down, in the immaterial diary of his psyche's sense of life, every chance aspect of every new day that he is lucky enough to live to behold!" - John Cowper Powys

#7 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2011 - 20:10

Thanks, it's rapidly become a favourite.

I was a little surprised that Swan is not better represented on this forum as Mabie Todd made so many great pens under that brand. However I think that the majority, certainly from the mid thirties onwards were British made and as many members on this forum are North America based they simply aren’t exposed to them. A quick check shows 62 Swan pens/lots for sale on ebay UK located in the EU (all but one in the UK) but only 7 Swan pens on ebay.com located in NA.

The 4660 and a few other models have the No6 nib. They are not amazingly frequent but do come by if you are patient. There are also No4 nibbed pens but the most numerous have No2 nibs. Some even have No1 nibs. The great thing is that many have flexy or semi flexy nibs and come in a great variety of widths. Some nibs are marked Eternal and were like Sheaffers lifetime. The most common colour is black with gold trim in BHR or Celluloid though other colours exist including snakeskin celluloid. Filling systems are lever or twist filler. I read that the post war twist filler mechanism is completely different to the pre war mechanism and much more efficient. This one certainly works well.

M,T&Co also made the Blackbird brand, placed below the Swan range but apparently well worth looking for with some nice flexy nibs.

Edited by Malcy, 22 April 2011 - 20:19.

My pen photo galleries - Reorganised

#8 Taurean

Taurean

vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:02

Wow, that's one sweet looking pen! And lovely handwriting.

Parker VS (rust)
Parker "51" aerometric (navy grey)
Sheaffer Snorkel Saratoga (burgundy)
Sheaffer Imperial IV Touchdown (green)

#9 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:41

Very nice. These Mabie Todd/Swan pens are absolutely wonderful. I just got two Minors and a Blackbird to work on over the weekend and they're absolutely fantastic little pens. The BHR Minor 2 is just drop dead sexy. And that flat lever is the best looking lever I've ever seen. If I ever get another lever pen, it'll be one of these guys.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#10 Hugh200au

Hugh200au

Hugh

• Away
  • 1,436 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:02

Nice review, nice pen as well. It is a plastic model not a BHR ...in the post war pens a 1 at the end indicates a BHR one, 0 a plastic. At the price it's a lot of pen for the money!!

Regards
Hugh

#11 ScottieDarin

ScottieDarin

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:41

I'm gonna get my own 4660 next month!!!! 

Crazy happy!!!!

Sponsored Content

|