The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor 1911 Naginata Togi Black & Silver

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 bluemax

bluemax

bluemax

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2006 - 00:37

I have chosen, I know, a pen that has had numerous comments, but all things considered, it has many good reasons for undergoing further epithetsÖ. For one, itís a popular model. Two, the nib is notoriously revered. Three, well, you donít need to know about three, or even four. Because you know, right? And anyway, I only just bought one.

So what can I tell you that you donít already know about it? ĎNot muchí I hear you say. And you may be right. But then, is it possible to review this pen like a car? And not just any carÖ

Appearance - 10/10
So, Iím walking up to it and my first impressions are - itís black. Very black. In fact, in a world of black, this could just be the very epicentre of blackdom, tucked away in a far corner, under a very thick blanket, in a windowless roomÖ with the lights off.

And then thereís the chrome. Hmmm, and I thought only women owned things this shiny. Both bumpers, nose and tail, are beautifully finished, each by a precise rhodium ring, not too fat, and not too thin. And then weíre at the hood ornament. With more curves than Kylie Minogue, you just want to gasp at itís understated beauty. And finally, we arrive at the body trim, with that dual ring design, forged in Mordor, with those eye-bogglingly enigmatic letters (having once belonged to Gollum, Sauron & other preciousses), you almost forget the second ring is there Ė like it vanished. And when you do finally see it, you find yourself involuntarily letting out a sigh, and thinking how they just donít make Ďem like this anymore. Oh, but they do, and you wants it, needs itÖ

Even before youíve opened the driverís door, you know this is no Ford or Chevvy. No sir. It may be made in Japan, but this babyís got Italian written all over the design. Welcome then to the Ferrari or if you prefer, Lamborghini of itís world. They may not sell that many each year, but rest assured, youíll get the ride of your life.

Performance - 9/10
Well, frugal it ainít. Under the hood you get your straight-6, V8, supercharged engine that Sailor is so well known for. With an average consumption of about 12 miles per gallon, this thing drinks more than Oliver Reed. So you need to make a choice. Either only bring it out at family weddings and funerals, or get used to living in that trailer and have the tanker drop by every other Thursday to top it up. But for your sacrifice, you get one of the fastest machines ever made. And weíre talking fast. If you listen carefully, that noise at the end of the sentence as you touch down on the full stop, is the sound barrier popping. Try it. SeeÖ

Driving - 9/10
Itís hard to truly explain the ride, but think smooth. In fact, think cushion smooth, floating on an air pocket suspended above a wagon of duck feathers, conveyed by a small army of very silent and gentle mice, Ö in slippers.

Turning and cornering is a dream, but be warned, With all that speed, the sheer guiltless pleasure of it all could just make you over steer. Before you know it, youíll be signing big cheques with big signatures without quite knowing why.

The tread is, justifiably big. If you think 18 inch alloys impressed the neighbours, then have your drooling bowl to hand. With a line almost as wide as road markings, you get a broad, consistent flow. ĎBut waití I hear you cry, Ďit says that this is a medium nib!í. Trust me, thereís nothing medium about this pen.

Space - 8/10
Itís true that this model does have a big engine. And it is equally true that you shouldnít expect anything too twee to carry off such performance, but this isnít a Big pen. Often compared against a 146, itís not for the feint-hearted. Yet, it really isnít that big. Itís just right. And there lies itís beauty and itís magic. Itís roomy and discreet all at once. Give this pen to David Copperfield and it would make him disappear.

Build Quality - 10/10
Ahh, so they do make Ďem like they used too. It may come from Japan, look & drive like an Italian, and even drink link an American, but the build is pure German. This thing oozes quality. Even at high speeds you wonít hear a single rattle. More solid than one of grandmaís home-baked Christmas cakes, rumour has it they hired Daleks to run the quality assurance programme.

Equipment - 10/10
When it comes to equipment, weíve got the lot. Besides your obligatory cruise control and aircon, you get Sat Nav, electric everything and even two cup holders. This really is a Mecca for the aspiring executive. And believe it, thatís real nappa leather too.

Safety - 9/10
When it comes to safety, you ARE Captain Kirk. Scrapes aplenty will come and go, but remember, only the crew members that didnít get lead roles died. And for added security, it even ships with a free converter, two cartridges and a mind meldÖ now thatís logical!

Owning - 9/10
They say that envy is green. Theyíre wrong, itís black and silver. It may end up with a lot of mileage on it, but if you ever do choose to sell it on, thereíll be a queue longer than the next Star Wars movie for it.

Value - 10/10
With a pedigree longer than a Crufts blue ribbon dog, itís refreshing to know that buying one is nearly as expensive as a box of cartridges for a 146. Itís a bit like finding a Faberge egg in a Wal-Mart Christmas cracker Ė a real bargain.

Verdict - 9/10
If youíre a footballerís wife, then perhaps a snowy cap is all you crave. But the wise money is mostly still tucked away inside that old slipper in your wardrobe, only have been lightly dented by the purchase of this understated Japanese Meister. Go on, buy one, you know it makes sense biggrin.gif

Yours
Bren

Sponsored Content

#2 RyanL27

RyanL27

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 01:53

QUOTE(bluemax @ Nov 10 2006, 06:37 PM)
Driving - 9/10
Itís hard to truly explain the ride, but think smooth. In fact, think cushion smooth, floating on an air pocket suspended above a wagon of duck feathers, conveyed by a small army of very silent and gentle mice, Ö in slippers.

roflmho.gif lticaptd.gif

Oh my! I just got a bevy of nasty looks as I'm sitting in the library and just burst with out-loud laughter!
"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."
- Baruch Spinoza

#3 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:35

Brilliant review, Bren----love those metaphors! biggrin.gif
Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#4 lanatir

lanatir

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2006 - 02:09

wonderfully written!!! good job!! laugh.gif
Regards
Kelvin
My Blog

#5 Nimrud

Nimrud

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 02:40

This should be indexed in the Big List of FP Reviews.

Good stuff.

#6 Keldun

Keldun

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 23:27

Great review, it makes me want to buy one to experience "gentle mice, Ö in slippers" effect too laugh.gif .
I hope to see more reviews from you.

#7 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• 5,232 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 00:02

Very well done! As I was reading your sports car review of the 1911, I was thinking about mine and agree with you. One point under performance: an engine can't be a straight-6 and a V-8 at the same time (it either has 6 cylinders inline or 8 in a vee configuration wink.gif ). Thoroughly enjoyed the review! roflmho.gif roflmho.gif roflmho.gif roflmho.gif roflmho.gif roflmho.gif
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#8 bluemax

bluemax

bluemax

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2006 - 21:45

QUOTE(southpaw @ Nov 19 2006, 12:02 AM)
Very well done! As I was reading your sports car review of the 1911, I was thinking about mine and agree with you. One point under performance: an engine can't be a straight-6 and a V-8 at the same time (it either has 6 cylinders inline or 8 in a vee configuration wink.gif ). Thoroughly enjoyed the review! roflmho.gif roflmho.gif roflmho.gif roflmho.gif roflmho.gif roflmho.gif

Dang!! I've been rumbled. Yep, I know as much about cars, as I do about whaling with a toothpick biggrin.gif

Anyoldhoo. Thanks all for the wonderful comments. Now to decide what next to review...

Bren

#9 djahughes

djahughes

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 20:36

I really don't mean to be rude but... for somebody who is thinking of ordering this pen this review really isn't much help.

What nib size do you have and how is it?

Thanks
David Hughes

#10 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2006 - 20:47

QUOTE(djahughes @ Dec 28 2006, 10:36 PM)
I really don't mean to be rude but... for somebody who is thinking of ordering this pen this review really isn't much help.

Thanks

If you read it carefully, you will find ALL information in this review. Promised. tongue.gif

#11 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2006 - 20:57

QUOTE(djahughes @ Dec 28 2006, 10:36 AM)

Thanks

I believe that Naginata Togi refers to a special nib that allows different widths depending on angle. So what I was reading is that the reviewer has a Sailor 1911 with the special Naginata Togi nib.

Doug

#12 djahughes

djahughes

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 21:12

QUOTE(saintsimon @ Dec 28 2006, 09:47 PM)
QUOTE(djahughes @ Dec 28 2006, 10:36 PM)

Thanks

If you read it carefully, you will find ALL information in this review. Promised. tongue.gif

I guess I'm looking for something simpler to help sooth those pre-purchase nerves wink.gif

Don't get me wrogn... I apreciate the effort that has gone into the review but I just want something that is a bit more 'standard'...

Thanks
David Hughes

#13 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2006 - 22:27

QUOTE(djahughes @ Dec 28 2006, 11:12 PM)
I guess I'm looking for something simpler to help sooth those pre-purchase nerves wink.gif

Don't get me wrogn... I apreciate the effort that has gone into the review but I just want something that is a bit more 'standard'...

Thanks

Ok, a synopsis:

He has a medium nib, which is very smooth, wet and wide.

That is in line with other reviews of the Naginata-Togi nibs.

#14 djahughes

djahughes

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 23:31

Thanks...
David Hughes

#15 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:37

Bren, do you write for a living?

Sheesh...

Did you have to write such a great review? My curiosity is piqued. Dare I meander over to Sailor's website and drool over the images that might await me?

You should hand-write your review about the 1911 Naginata Togi (writing with it, of course) and mail it to Sailor. Really, I mean it.

And if I end up buying one of these, I'm gonna ask you for a donation.
roflmho.gif

Edited by MYU, 03 January 2007 - 03:50.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#16 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 15:18

That was a truly excellent review! Thank you!

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

#17 bluemax

bluemax

bluemax

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2007 - 22:56

All,

thanks for the very nice comments, it's very much appreciated. I guess I should really start thinking about my next model... eureka.gif

djahughes - I know what you mean. I wrote this knowing that many others had reviewed the Sailor 1911 before me, so it was very much tongue in cheek. As saintsimon states, the togi is supposed to be a medium nib, but in fact writes very much like a broad nib. You can however get a medium-fine togi, which would be more of the western medium you should expect.

That said, it is a lovely nib all round, and I would think that there will be few investments made as good as this.

Oh, by the way, there's not a lot of flex in it though, but it is relatively juicy as a writer.

all the best
Bren

#18 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:25

Bren, is your Naginata Togi smooth or ribbed?

Also, I've been meaning to ask you: What is the pen in your avatar? It looks like an amazing work of art--I've never seen anything like it!

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#19 djahughes

djahughes

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:57

QUOTE(bluemax @ Jan 3 2007, 11:56 PM)
All,

thanks for the very nice comments, it's very much appreciated. I guess I should really start thinking about my next model... eureka.gif

djahughes - I know what you mean. I wrote this knowing that many others had reviewed the Sailor 1911 before me, so it was very much tongue in cheek. As saintsimon states, the togi is supposed to be a medium nib, but in fact writes very much like a broad nib. You can however get a medium-fine togi, which would be more of the western medium you should expect.

That said, it is a lovely nib all round, and I would think that there will be few investments made as good as this.

Oh, by the way, there's not a lot of flex in it though, but it is relatively juicy as a writer.

all the best
Bren

Hi,

Thanks for the extra info. I've ordered one with the fine/medium nib so I look forward to seeing what it's like. Hoping it's not too broad for me. I have a Visconti Van Gogh with a fine nib which is more medium so I'm hoping it's going to be around there somewhere.

Sadly my Van Gogh has fallen apart in the last day so I'm very keen to get my 1911 now.

Maybe I'll post a 'traditional' (boring? biggrin.gif ) review.

Many thanks
David Hughes

#20 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• FPN Super Moderators

• 3,816 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:13

Sadly my Van Gogh has fallen apart in the last day so I'm very keen to get my 1911 now.

"Fallen apart"? Is this something you can tell us about? ohmy.gif

Sponsored Content

|