The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Lamy Pens – Drying Out Problem

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Retro-user

Retro-user

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:58

Is it possible to leave an ink cartridge in the Lamy Vista for a couple weeks without it drying up? I have found with past Lamys I've owned that such treatment results in a dried out pen - ink seems to have evaporated. I'm asking because I'm getting ready to use a Lamy violet cartridge in a brand new Vista and I want to make sure I can commit to that ink color for a length of time to justify using it.

Sponsored Content

#22 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,291 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:37

Is it possible to leave an ink cartridge in the Lamy Vista for a couple weeks without it drying up? I have found with past Lamys I've owned that such treatment results in a dried out pen - ink seems to have evaporated. I'm asking because I'm getting ready to use a Lamy violet cartridge in a brand new Vista and I want to make sure I can commit to that ink color for a length of time to justify using it.

Sorry for a late reply

That is the problem with all pens, cartridge or internal filler. If left alone for a longer time (some pens suffer from this very badly, some stay ready much longer) the ink on the exposed parts, nib and external feed, will dry out and the pen will hard-start. This has nothing to do with the cartridge or converter, but with the air-tightness of the cap.

I don't know how long the Vista will stay "fluid". I would say: try it out.

There are some tricks to get a dried up pen working again Tissue paper is the best in my opinion. Wipe the nib clean, and then grip the nib and feed between thumb and index finger (with the tissue covering both) The capillary function of the tissue will draw ink. If this doesn't work (worse case of drying out) wipe the nib with a damp tissue (just tap water) or hold the nib under the tab for a few seconds and then wipe it with a dry tissue.

A method I use sometimes is wet my finger with some saliva and wipe the nibslit. That helps sometimes. It will earn you a lightly coloured finger...

If all these don't help you will have to proper flush the pen.

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Sponsored Content

|