The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

FPN appearing slow

Dearest Member or Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to a continuing DDoS attack, FPN could be moving only slowly. Hosting Support is dealing with this. The earlier reported hardware issue has been fixed. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Warm regards, the FPN Moderator & Admin Team

Photo

Lamy Pens – Drying Out Problem

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Retro-user

Retro-user

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:58

Is it possible to leave an ink cartridge in the Lamy Vista for a couple weeks without it drying up? I have found with past Lamys I've owned that such treatment results in a dried out pen - ink seems to have evaporated. I'm asking because I'm getting ready to use a Lamy violet cartridge in a brand new Vista and I want to make sure I can commit to that ink color for a length of time to justify using it.

Sponsored Content

#22 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,888 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:37

Is it possible to leave an ink cartridge in the Lamy Vista for a couple weeks without it drying up? I have found with past Lamys I've owned that such treatment results in a dried out pen - ink seems to have evaporated. I'm asking because I'm getting ready to use a Lamy violet cartridge in a brand new Vista and I want to make sure I can commit to that ink color for a length of time to justify using it.

Sorry for a late reply

That is the problem with all pens, cartridge or internal filler. If left alone for a longer time (some pens suffer from this very badly, some stay ready much longer) the ink on the exposed parts, nib and external feed, will dry out and the pen will hard-start. This has nothing to do with the cartridge or converter, but with the air-tightness of the cap.

I don't know how long the Vista will stay "fluid". I would say: try it out.

There are some tricks to get a dried up pen working again Tissue paper is the best in my opinion. Wipe the nib clean, and then grip the nib and feed between thumb and index finger (with the tissue covering both) The capillary function of the tissue will draw ink. If this doesn't work (worse case of drying out) wipe the nib with a damp tissue (just tap water) or hold the nib under the tab for a few seconds and then wipe it with a dry tissue.

A method I use sometimes is wet my finger with some saliva and wipe the nibslit. That helps sometimes. It will earn you a lightly coloured finger...

If all these don't help you will have to proper flush the pen.

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#23 minddance

minddance

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 20:16

Lamy2000 dries out real slowly, so slowly that I would say it doesn't dry out.

#24 jchch1950

jchch1950

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:30

I was travelling for three weeks, today I  uncap my Lamy Safari and began to write without any hesitation.

#25 minddance

minddance

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,113 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 23:37

Lamy vista/safari/al-star all have drying out problems. No doubt. My alt-goldgrun ink gets darker and darker in these Lamys until it completely dries out. And this ink has to be in Lamy because of this characteristic otherwise, it would be messily illegible.

#26 pseudo88

pseudo88

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:00

I haven't had problems with any of my 7 Vistas starting, save for one lately, but the evaporation does change the colour of ink, notoriously with green blues; my current solution seems to help, even if it's not exactly pretty, I'm just covering the "windows" with masking tape:

fpn_1520132198__vista_masking_tape.jpg

A more permanent solution might be a Vista rollerball barrel, not sure this exists for regular Safaris.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#27 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,564 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 19:30

If you're planning to leave a fountain pen unused for a few weeks and are concerned about it drying out, you may just want to put it inside a ziplock bag.  Cheapest solution that is pretty effective!  :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#28 minddance

minddance

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,113 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 19:44

I have tried leaving fountain pens unused for a few weeks, I have splendid results with Pelikan, TWSBI, Lamy2000, Kaweco, Wingsung 3008,698, Pilot, Platinum 3776 and Preppy, (Sailor).

#29 Astronymus

Astronymus

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,053 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 20:49

I haven't had problems with any of my 7 Vistas starting, save for one lately, but the evaporation does change the colour of ink, notoriously with green blues; my current solution seems to help, even if it's not exactly pretty, I'm just covering the "windows" with masking tape:

fpn_1520132198__vista_masking_tape.jpg

A more permanent solution might be a Vista rollerball barrel, not sure this exists for regular Safaris.

Interesting. Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a spare part Vista rollerball barrel?

Edited by Astron, 04 March 2018 - 20:49.

» Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. But then later there's running and... and screaming. «

#30 pseudo88

pseudo88

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,158 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 23:06

Interesting. Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a spare part Vista rollerball barrel?

Easier but more expensive; although not ridiculously so; I've only found one store that sells them, in the UK though.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#31 Safari_Camo

Safari_Camo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:22

I want to get this vials and test if works with a Waterman Kultur and some Lamy Safaris.
They have the same issue :(

vials.jpg

#32 Astronymus

Astronymus

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,053 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:01

"Vials". Funny. These are just petlings. Blanks for plastic bottles. :lol:

» Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. But then later there's running and... and screaming. «

#33 pseudo88

pseudo88

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,158 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 21:14

I want to get this vials and test if works with a Waterman Kultur and some Lamy Safaris.
They have the same issue :(

I ended up looking at similar solutions, took off the masking tape from my Vistas, I'm using several pen pouches but it;s no very practical. A wooden box with a glass window would be more practical but they get expensive quick... For 22 pens!

B. Russell

#34 taimdala

taimdala

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2018 - 16:30

This morning I opened up my zippered pen case to use one of my Lamy AL-Stars and it hard started, which was unusual for that particular pen/ink combination. I checked the ink supply and saw with some shock that the cartridge was running on fumes--or droplets, in this case. I immediately thought I'd sprung a leak or burped the ink out but no, everything was clean and dry.

I hadn't used the pen much in the past few months but I store my pens carefully and to my knowledge no one else has been using my pens in the middle of the night while I slept, so how did the ink disappear? 

All I could think of was this: I'd taken my pen case with me on my vacation (just last week). Perhaps traveling in a hot car might have evapped the ink out of the cartridge. I had the AC on fairly strongly whenever I was driving but of course, I had parked the car for a couple of hours and the AC would be off during those times. Cars are like ovens in the summer and this summer (Toronto, PEI, NYC, North Carolina) has been pretty oven-like. The pens always followed me into the hotel room for the night and stay for the hours I didn't haul my pens out with me.

Is there a time limit or a life span to a Lamy ink cartridge? How much does it vary due to temperature vs. use?

I have reached a point in my collection that I have a few more pens than I can use and all are currently inked up ... but if Lamy cartridges last unused in a pen for only a few months, I need to figure out how to store them better against evaporation. Otherwise, I will spend more time cleaning out my pens than writing with them and my bank account will suffer from buying more cartridges.

Also, I am saving the cartridges (especially of the hard-to-replace LE colors) with the idea of filling them with a different color of Lamy ink, to make new colors and possibly introduce sheen to a color that normally doesn't have one. Has anyone thoughts or results to share on this as well? If I am going to be pulling evapped cartridges out every two-three months, I might as well try to get some use out of the ink residue sticking to the cartridges.

#35 taimdala

taimdala

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2018 - 16:33

If you're planning to leave a fountain pen unused for a few weeks and are concerned about it drying out, you may just want to put it inside a ziplock bag.  Cheapest solution that is pretty effective!  :)

I will try this! A gallon zip lock should hold my zipper cases nicely. ^_^

#36 arthury

arthury

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2018 - 14:06

I have the 3 LAMY AL-star and they are doing the same thing. Tried different inks and they still dried out easily.

I even changed the nib from Fine to Medium and it still did not flow well.

Inks I have tried include but not limited to:

• Pelikan (Edlestein and regular Pelikan)
  • Pilot
  • LAMY

When I'm writing, I had to fight with the pen and it is becoming a very ineffective tool.

Any ideas what I should do alleviate this issue?

____
Art Y.

#37 pseudo88

pseudo88

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,158 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 16:08

Gave up on the masking tape and got a bunch of these, evaporation problem solved for my 7 Vistas and Mujis. They're made of a velvet like material.

fpn_1534521926__pen_pouch.jpg

Edited by pseudo88, 17 August 2018 - 16:08.

B. Russell

#38 arthury

arthury

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2018 - 16:55

Im soaking mine in warm water to clear out any possible gunks and re-start again.

____
Art Y.

#39 rollerboy

rollerboy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2018 - 20:56

As a test I left my most expensive pen uncapped while I emptied my bowels. About 10 to 15 mins later there was a tiny tiny tiny hard start but it was fine.

How did I manage to not comment on that post back in 2014. :)

#40 Retro-user

Retro-user

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2018 - 13:19

Great idea!

Sponsored Content

|