Uni Kuru Toga Mechanical Pencil

Uni Kuru Toga Mechanical Pencil  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which Model Do You Use / Prefer

I can understand how the Kuru Toga's advance mechanism may not lend itself to cursive as well as printing. Perhaps the Zebra Del Guard MP [no affiliation] might be of interest for cursive writers. Although, I find when I'm writing cursive I'm constantly having to advance the lead and or twist the pencil a bit in my hand.

Tangential to this thread, a long time ago I had a Cross MP that advanced the lead as I wrote - it worked very well. Alas, it grew legs and walked away. Are there any MPs out there that advance the lead as one writes, and do they actually work well? Thanks.

Look at the Pilot Automac. Not an owner, but it's on my list.

Re cursive in pencil, it's no different than in any other medium, imo. Just a style choice. I tend to use just about any other pencil than a Kuru Toga for that though to avoid having to reform the cone tip on the lead.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• streeton

• Number3124

• Surnia

I write in cursive, but I work with numbers. The Kuru Toga is great for that.

Yet another Sarah.

I just got a burgundy red and a lime green Kuru Toga Advance. I'm using the burgundy one right now when I'm not using any other of my dozens of different cedar, wood, Shaker or mechanical pencils that I own.

• 4 months later...

The Kuru Toga is very good value. The lead rotation technology is really nice and it works.

Off topic, I'm a bit surprised to learn that there are people writing cursive with lead pencils. Just seems peculiar to me, for that style of writing... I wouldn't expect someone to want that erasable.

Just because something is potentially "erasable", doesn't mean it will be erased! Graphite marks are far more permanent than any ink. They'll outlast the paper they're written on.

As for the Kuru-Toga, I have all the models listed in the poll, and none of them work for me.

They require too vertical of a writing position for the lead advance to work properly, whether printing or writing in cursive. I've tried everything, including manually pre-feeding the lead so that the tip doesn't scrape on the paper, but the auto feed only works if you hold the Kuru-Toga nearly perpendicular to the paper surface.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only ever had one Kurutoga pencil, an original model, black, 0.5 mm, real basic. I like it very much and keep it handy for quick notes.

Then on Saturday, I managed to lose the darn thing. It must have slipped out of my cassock pocket when I took it off as I was getting into my car. As a rule, I don't lose things, so it was a bit distressing. But no worries: I stopped at Staples yesterday and picked up an exact replacement. Once I switched out the HB lead for a softer 2B, all is right again. Back in lead-rotating business.

I also have a few Pentels that I keep in my work backpack (P205, P207, and 0.3 mm GraphGear 500). But none of those sees as much action as my Kurutoga. Someday I'll try that pipe slide model.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

• 2 months later...

If you are a Uni Kuru Toga mechanical pencil user, then which model are you most pleased with (Original, High grade, or Roulette)?

What do you like about the model you use?

What do you dislike about the model you use?

Thank you.

I have both the regular original version, whatever that's called, and the Alpha Gel.

I much prefer the Alpha Gel version, because I do a great deal of pencil writing every single day as a Japanese and mathematics double major. The squishy grip makes my pencil writing life bearable. The thicker barrel size + grip also reduces hand fatigue, always important for someone who's writing by hand as much as I am.

The only thing I don't like about the Alpha Gel version is that I can't see the cool turning mechanism in action, but I don't usually have time to notice that, so it's a really minor nitpick.

Edited by Aquaria