Uni Kuru Toga Mechanical Pencil

Uni Kuru Toga Mechanical Pencil  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which Model Do You Use / Prefer

If you are a Uni Kuru Toga mechanical pencil user, then which model are you most pleased with (Original, High grade, or Roulette)?

What do you like about the model you use?

What do you dislike about the model you use?

Thank you.

CFTPM

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• streeton

• Number3124

• Surnia

Only have the original version, works great for what its designed to do. Only dislike is the minute instability from the mechanism when doing very small writing, but that's expected I guess from any retractable tip. very slight wobble of the point as you go, meaning some larger movements are necessary to get the tip moving. At writing about 5mm tall and anything greater, its un-noticeable.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg Member since Sept 7, 2010

TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado

Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood

Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

I've only tried the high grade, though I think I'd like the regular just as much. Unfortunately my style of writing and holding an instrument doesn't fit the optimal performance set up of this pencil. Still nice, though.

I haven't tried this pencil, but I think that Kuru Toga motor, and auto-advancers, would not go well with my writing style. I write in cursive, and don't lift my pencil very often so I would not be able to activate the mechanism as often as is needed.

Wish-list: Parker 51 India Black Vacumatic. Green Parker Vacumatic Maxima. Visconti Homo Sapien. Aurora Optima and Vintage 88. Lamy 27. Sheaffer Pen For Men V. Moss-Agate Waterman Patrician, Pelikan Souverän M450. I just need to win the lottery now.

If I was forced to choose a Kuru Toga, it would be the alpha gel version.

And unfortunately, since I write in cursive, there's really no point for me to get a Kuru Toga.

Visconti Homo Sapiens; Lamy 2000; Unicomp Endurapro keyboard.

Free your mind -- go write

I print which is why I thought the Kuru Toga would be okay for me.

Yes, the motor should be more than suitable for print. It probably enjoys much better sales in Asian countries where calligraphy is used.

Edited by Number3124

Wish-list: Parker 51 India Black Vacumatic. Green Parker Vacumatic Maxima. Visconti Homo Sapien. Aurora Optima and Vintage 88. Lamy 27. Sheaffer Pen For Men V. Moss-Agate Waterman Patrician, Pelikan Souverän M450. I just need to win the lottery now.

Only have the original version, works great for what its designed to do. Only dislike is the minute instability from the mechanism when doing very small writing, but that's expected I guess from any retractable tip. very slight wobble of the point as you go, meaning some larger movements are necessary to get the tip moving. At writing about 5mm tall and anything greater, its un-noticeable.

... but it doesn't have a retractable tip.

There is a very slight amount of give to the lead when you touch it to paper. This movement of the lead is required to operate the "Kuru Toga Engine."

I wouldn't call it a retractable tip, but I know what the OP means here.

I normally print also, so the Kuru Toga works fine for me. I have the original in 0.5mm and 0.3mm. The way the pencil feels in my hand reminds me of a technical pen.

When using a mechanical pencil, I normally use a Pentel P205 or a Parker Jotter 0.5 mm pencil. I do tend to turn them as I write to even out the lead wear.

The Kuru Toga turns the lead for me, so I never have to shift my grip on the pencil. I find I'm writing a bit faster and my writing certainly looks better with the consistent line width.

I still like my other pencils of various types too, but the Kuru Toga is one that I'll keep as a daily user. It's a very pleasing pencil, and was a good value too.

On the other hand, I also recently got a Platinum OLEeNU, and don't like it very much. I like the fact that it uses more of the lead than most others do, but it just doesn't feel that good to write with. I suppose I should try one of the other OLEeNU models, but I'm not really motivated to do so because this one is so lousy. (I do have other Platinum pencils that I like, so it's not the brand that's bad, just this pencil. I have some of their Pro-Use models, and they're excellent pencils.)

Had a thought there, and got distracted halfway through posting so I don't think I finished the idea...

It has a wobble LIKE some retractable tip pencils, so it performs like one in that regard. It also does have a minor give to it when you write to activate the engine, but its similar to a springy nib in my opinion (like the new TWSBI B nib). Sorry for that confusion.

I write cursive as well, but the pencil's for multiple choice tests on Scantrons, and doing rough notes on exams. My cursive style is also a bit funny when I do notes like that, I tend to lift very often but the letters are all still connected. It allows the engine to rotate and keep it sharp for me (I guess it was a developed habit from having to rotate the pencil all the time when I wasn't using a Kuru engine).

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg Member since Sept 7, 2010

TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado

Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood

Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

Had a thought there, and got distracted halfway through posting so I don't think I finished the idea...

It has a wobble LIKE some retractable tip pencils, so it performs like one in that regard. It also does have a minor give to it when you write to activate the engine, but its similar to a springy nib in my opinion (like the new TWSBI B nib). Sorry for that confusion.

Thanks for your further explanation. I agree mine too has wobble and worse a feed issue with the lead sliding straight out instead of incrementally when I push the advance button... and I am using the original 0.3mm lead the pencil came with, so this is a qaulity control issue. The pencil also digs into the paper quite frequently, I think because the very fine point is always hitting the paper full on. The 0.5mm Kuru Toga I also have is free of the last two issues.

Thanks for your further explanation. I agree mine too has wobble and worse a feed issue with the lead sliding straight out instead of incrementally when I push the advance button... and I am using the original 0.3mm lead the pencil came with, so this is a quality control issue. The pencil also digs into the paper quite frequently, I think because the very fine point is always hitting the paper full on. The 0.5mm Kuru Toga I also have is free of the last two issues.

Then it's probably an issue with the EF 0.3 leads. I've never used them so I can't be sure, but that is what it sounds like.

Can you explain the "wobble" ...

The best way to explain is to compare this pencil with a Pentel P205 which is acknowledged as a "rock solid" rigid tip with absolutely no movement of the lead tip in any direction - sideways or up and down. Whilst subjective the Kuru Toga tip to me exhibits some movement and a feeling that it is not totally rigid. Unless you've experienced the Pentel P205 or a Pentel Graph1000 you probably wouldn't even be aware of this. Some people prefer some "give" when writing, so it is a matter of preference.

• 6 years later...

I have the Roulette and the new Advance. I really like the heft and feel of the Roulette and the speed at which the Advance rotates the lead (my only complaint of the Roulette - lead gets a bit dull before turning).

I've only used the Roulette - I like the heft and the knurled grip. The lead seems to last forever - I hardly have to click to advance the lead.

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

Wow, talk about a necro-thread! The mummy unravels. The original post was from 2011, and so they wouldn't be including some of the newer releases such as the Pipe Slide and the Advance.

The Kuru Toga is very good value. The lead rotation technology is really nice and it works.

Off topic, I'm a bit surprised to learn that there are people writing cursive with lead pencils. Just seems peculiar to me, for that style of writing... I wouldn't expect someone to want that erasable.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I can understand how the Kuru Toga's advance mechanism may not lend itself to cursive as well as printing. Perhaps the Zebra Del Guard MP [no affiliation] might be of interest for cursive writers. Although, I find when I'm writing cursive I'm constantly having to advance the lead and or twist the pencil a bit in my hand.

Tangential to this thread, a long time ago I had a Cross MP that advanced the lead as I wrote - it worked very well. Alas, it grew legs and walked away. Are there any MPs out there that advance the lead as one writes, and do they actually work well? Thanks.

CFTPM