Pilot Blue - Black

Sandy1

This blue-black as well as the regular blue Namiki ink are some of the best "practical" inks for professional use. I haven't seen another blue ink that encapsulates the same all-around features of:

-good flow

-low bleed

-low feather

-quick dry

-water-resistant

-low maintenance

What's really bizzare is that many of these qualities are usually considered mutually exclusive, so I'm not sure how Pilot does it. Even their Iroshizuku line doesn't perform this well.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience and opinion of PBlBk.

Without a doubt it is a strong contender as a daily work horse ink for just about anyone using this colour, (or the Black or Blue iterations). Though, as mentioned, it is not widely available at this time. Perhaps requesting this ink from local B&M stockists and online Vendors might drive the demand, consequently increasing availability.

I too find it a bit baffling why other Co.s cannot do not market ink in 'core' colours with a comparable performance profile. Not that it would be likely to reduce sales of their other inks. (?)

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• amateriat

• Honeybadgers

• dcwaites

I'm a latecomer here, but must thank you for this tremendous (and exhaustive) review.

Pilot's standard-issue inks (i.e. not Iroshizuku, which I can find in nearly any decent pen shop or stationers' here) are pretty damned hard to track down: Kinokuniya in Manhattan is the only B&M shop I've found it in (30ml size only), and up until a week ago they seemed to be perpetually out of Pilot Blue. I agree that the difference between Pilot Blue and Blue-Black isn't as great as one would expect, but enough so for me not to regret having both, along with Pilot Black (which I use alongside Noodler's Old Manhattan/Blackest Black). All the Pilot inks are super well-behaved in two of the three pens I've used them in (Pilot Custom 74/B and VP/M; my Custom 823 has only known Noodler's OM since purchase). For me, these inks are keepers.

- Barrett

Can you provide a link to the store?? All I get are customer reviews, not actual bookstore information

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

If you like this, try the Pilot Blue - a surprisingly deep blue with nice shading. The blue has all the good characteristics covered in this review. These inks also come in 30ml bottles; black, blue, blue-black, & red AFAIK. The 70ml bottle is really well done. This blue-black is a little too bluish for me. I would probably mix some black in; or better yet make a custom mix of blue and black.

One poster commented on the smell of this ink. If there was ever an ink that smelled like you think ink would smell, this is it.

The smell to me (Namiki (Pilot) Blue) is very strong paraffin (wax). I think this is what makes is very hydrophobic- or at least water-resistant. It does however run with alcohol, like hand sanitizer.

tnmike1: Other than Kinokuniya's main website (http://www.kinokuniya.com), here's the best I can do regarding their NYC store:

Kinokuniya Bookstores

1073 Avenue of the Americas

New York, NY 10018

212-869-1700

nyinfo@kinokuniya.com

Hope this helps.

- Barrett

• 3 years later...

I ordered the 350 cc bottle. Its been my daily writer x 6 months. I have to use blue or black for work. Previously I had used Noodlers KTC but I was worried about damaging some of my better pens and used it only in a pair of Lamy 2000s. Hard to criticize this ink. Works exactly as described.

• 1 year later...

Fabulous, awe-inspiring review. Always so professional.

Will pick up some of this ink and give it a whirl. Presently using Montegrappa blue black cartridges several years old. I don't know who makes it for them, but it's quite a good colour. However, a move to a lever or piston pen is due and this ink could be just the ticket.

Parker's blue black was my standard for my years at school and university. It's great value but you have to think twice before you use it on envelopes.

• 2 weeks later...

Fabulous, awe-inspiring review. Always so professional.

Will pick up some of this ink and give it a whirl. Presently using Montegrappa blue black cartridges several years old. I don't know who makes it for them, but it's quite a good colour. However, a move to a lever or piston pen is due and this ink could be just the ticket.

Parker's blue black was my standard for my years at school and university. It's great value but you have to think twice before you use it on envelopes.

Hi,

Many thanks for your kind words!

I started using Parker BlBk c/w SOLV-X in my school days, and it remains the sole ink used in my daily writer at the office.

I've suggested Pilot BlBk as a daily writer ink numerous times, when the somewhat 'WOW-less' appearance plus admirable performance profile is just the thing when churning out grist for the mill.

Bye,

S1

I ended up with a serendipitous Blue Black when blending my unknown Akkerman ink (it may be #8 Diep-Duinwaterblauw or #24 Zuiderpark Blauw-Groen) with my #5 Shocking Blue, with an equal amount amount of water.

1) I must compare it to - Parker BlBk w/Solv-X and Pilot Blue-Black

2) I think I should start a thread on serendipitous blends you get when randomly mixing inks. Amber's Noodler's Inkyman Sapphire, fr'instance.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I ended up with a serendipitous Blue Black when blending my unknown Akkerman ink (it may be #8 Diep-Duinwaterblauw or #24 Zuiderpark Blauw-Groen) with my #5 Shocking Blue, with an equal amount amount of water.

1) I must compare it to - Parker BlBk w/Solv-X and Pilot Blue-Black

2) I think I should start a thread on serendipitous blends you get when randomly mixing inks. Amber's Noodler's Inkyman Sapphire, fr'instance.

Hi,

Hmm Hmm Hmm

I wonder how to nudge PBlBk to increase the Indigo aspect to emulate PQBlBk c/w S. A factor being the unknown pH compatibility.

PQBlBk c/w S: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/148828-parker-quink-blue-black-old-vs-new/?p=2672601

I wonder if the rather benign Diamine Denim is a worthy blending buddy. (?)

Or is there something in the iroshizuku array that might be more compatible? Even a whisper of yama-budo might do the trick.

Well mate, its a voyage of discovery. Whee!!

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

A quick scan (c/w atrocious h/writing) of the three BlBks I mentioned above

fpn_1486791772__someblueblacks.jpeg

Blue-Blacks, more, perhaps even than Blue inks, have to match your soul.

Generally the only way to do this is to blend your own, starting with a good, solid, intense, pure blue ink, and adding tiny amounts of black till you are satisfied.

Edited by dcwaites

Granny Aching

• 2 months later...

I just got a gently-used Pilot Prera today from a friend, and popped in a Pilot Blue-black cartridge, largely because of how great the ink seemed in this review. And, yep, quite excellent. I'm even getting a subtle red sheen (on Tomoe River). I can see why this ink is a classic.

Hi,

Many thanks for your kind words!

I started using Parker BlBk c/w SOLV-X in my school days, and it remains the sole ink used in my daily writer at the office.

I've suggested Pilot BlBk as a daily writer ink numerous times, when the somewhat 'WOW-less' appearance plus admirable performance profile is just the thing when churning out grist for the mill.

Bye,

S1

It always sets my teeth on edge every time I even think about mixing disparate inks - I tend to swallow the line that the creators of said inks sweated a ton of details to get their particular formula "just right", so I simply cast about for the particular ink that pleases both my eye and my particular pen(s), and go with it. So far, Pilot hasn't failed to please with their standard-issue inks, at least for me in their high-end FPs.

- Barrett

Edited by amateriat

It always sets my teeth on edge every time I even think about mixing disparate inks - I tend to swallow the line that the creators of said inks sweated a ton of details to get their particular formula "just right", so I simply cast about for the particular ink that pleases both my eye and my particular pen(s), and go with it. So far, Pilot hasn't failed to please with their standard-issue inks, at least for me in their high-end FPs.

- Barrett

Hi,

Many thanks for sharing your views. :thumbup:

My approach to inks is really quite different: I try to master, or at least exert a modicum of control over the media with which we work. I've been known to suggest dilution, addition of surfactant, and am a fairly avid ink blender.

I too have cast about for just the right ink, as my 138 Ink Reviews and my groaning ink shelves will attest. But when I find an ink that just needs a nudge, I do not hesitate to tinker.

Two factors are in play: matching the ink to the pen+paper combo, and getting the appearance to my taste without drastically altering the performance profile, especially for high performance inks.

For example, I'll add a whisper of Lamy Blue to Sheaffer BlBk, and have run a series of inky blends using [dilute] ESSRI as a base @ https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/223337-essri-mixes/?p=2219295

Then there's blends that produce inks that are not available in the market, such as Gal-Lexi, and works sprung from my imagination, such as Illegal Lipstick. (I'm considering a blend to be named Pillow Talk, though I do not talk/snore whilst sleeping.)

I apologise should my way of working threaten your dentition.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

• 2 months later...

Wow! Sandy1, thank you for this meticulous review! I am somewhat suspicious in regard to Pilot's blue-black but you gave some delightful writing examples which would let me suspect that they are reproducible for me. In most of the ink tests it behaves too blue for my taste but I think that I would have to test it myself... besides, I am heavily in love with Sailor's blue-black.

Since picking up a bottle of this, I now have FIVE pens inked with it. For sure it's an amazing ink and you can't beat the price!!!!

Hm! I'll have to try it. But today I discovered a new blue black competitor: Blackstone Barrister blue which is indeed not blue but blue black. It is I would say - without having tested it - between Pilot blue black and Sailor blue black.

I like Pilot Blue-Black, but I find myself wishing that it was more black than blue in the fine point rather dry pens that I usually have inked with it. Has anyone tried to mix Pilot Black with it to darken it some? Just curious...

I tried to mix Iroshizu ink with an interesting result: Murasaki whith some drops of Kon-Peki became to Diamine Majestic Purple. It behaves well and I like it. So I would expect that you can mix blue black with some drops of Pilot black.

I like Pilot Blue-Black, but I find myself wishing that it was more black than blue in the fine point rather dry pens that I usually have inked with it. Has anyone tried to mix Pilot Black with it to darken it some? Just curious...

The Pilot Blue, Blue-Black and Black inks all mix with each other with no problems.

To darken the Blue-Black, start with 1 drop of Black and 10 drops of Blue-Black. Adjust from there.

Granny Aching

The Pilot Blue, Blue-Black and Black inks all mix with each other with no problems.

To darken the Blue-Black, start with 1 drop of Black and 10 drops of Blue-Black. Adjust from there.

Contrary to my last post several months back, this does make some sense to me, gun-shy as I've been about mixing it up from several different bottles. (I have done it in the past, with somewhat reckless abandon, and decidedly, er, mixed results.) ;-)