The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

De La Rue Onoto 6235 Fp & Pencil

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 soapytwist

soapytwist

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 22:24

this isn't strictly a matching set, but it's as close as I can find at present (and for all I know may be as close as I can manage!). Onotos seems to be fetching higher prices in the last few years, thanks in part to increased exposure due to the new Onoto company.

Posted Image

While the newer pens faithfully reproduce the looks of the older pens, they don't utilise the vacuum filling system on the De La Rue pens of the pre-WW2 period. These do tend to be a little bit fiddly, and difficult to get the seals right when servicing, but repaired pen works as well as any modern filling system. Some models (those with the conical-ended plunger) feature an ink cut-off, where the filler knob needs half a turn to open the valve so that the pen can be used.

Posted Image

The FP is slender and the grip even thinner, which makes this pen feel archaic and a little bit like a quill pen. This is exacerbated if the cap is posted - the pen becomes 18.5cm (7.25in) long! The ink shut-off valve means it is more useful for thoughtful or extended writing.

Posted Image

The pencil is obviously from a time when manufacturers were making pencils that just about matched but in reality were marketed to be bought separately by a different market. The Onoto pencil is pretty much standard fare for pencils of this era; I have seen many no-name pencils that look much the same as this one; the twist-action works on the brass end, and the pencil is fairly short, even compared to fountain pens of shorter length than the 6235. I'm not sure if it was available in a chased version, hence the caveat at the top about it being a 'best match'. It works perfectly well, but is no match for holding and writing with the FP.

Posted Image
"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

Sponsored Content

#2 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:39

very cool. That nib looks a lot like the nibs getting put into some Indian eyedroppers.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#3 david@onoto.com

david@onoto.com

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 19:43

Re: plunger filler system mentioned...

You may be interested to know that we had the first prototype of a brand new Onoto plunger filler FP on display at the Northern Pen Show yesterday.

Everyone said we should try to make one... and we do listen to what you say! It's still very much at the prototype stage, but we are very pleased with the mechanics and it looks as though we will have a retail version ready for the autumn.

I'll keep you posted on this forum re release dates etc.

#4 PeterBeoworld

PeterBeoworld

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2011 - 20:05

That is fantastic news - it will make the Onoto even more special. I have a similar pen to that in the review - I think it is a 6234 - the imprint is a little worn. Same splendid 5 nib - nice degree of flex. Beautifully slim body and very long - posted it is longer than both my original Magna and my wife's Cambridge Edition new Onoto. A lovely pink celluloid with gold trim.

Sponsored Content

|