Letters To My Congressfolk

Splicer

After getting into a conversation yesterday on Facebook deriding "slacktivism" or getting a feeling of having done something by copying and pasting a political slogan or changing one's icon, I was faced with a link on Facebook supporting a cause I care about. So I made a deal with myself: I could post the link if I committed to write a letter to an elected representative.

...and then I sat down at the kitchen table, got out my box of Crane's "executive" (7.25" x 10.5") Pearl White 32lb 100% cotton, my MB 149, looked up the addresses of the Representative from my district and the Senators for my state and wrote three letters, one to each.

In retrospect, perhaps I should have used an American pen with that American paper and American ink (Noodler's). But I don't really think that matters.

Hopefully, my handwriting is legible enough that the politicians' aides will be able to determine whether I'm in favor or against the bills I hoped to support! It feels great to have actually done something other than griping to my friends about how things "oughtta be."

The envelopes got stamps and I dropped them in the mailbox this evening. I'm posting to toot my own horn a little, but also to encourage others to do the same.

Note that I did NOT mention the cause here. I'd love to hear from others that are writing to their politicians with their fountain pens, but this is not the place for political sniping or discussion, so I don't want to hear what the subjects of your letters are.

Who are the pen shops in your neighborhood? Find out or tell us where they are, at http://penshops.info/

Blog: http://splicer.com/

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave S

• Ghost Plane

• swduncan

• Splicer

Democracy in action. I love that you wrote letters and yes, I have written letters too.

Pet peeve, people who don't vote and then complain about things. Vote and then tell them what you like and what you don't like.

I do think Bay State Blue or Legal Lapis would be very appropriate. :thumbup:

Sheaffer Targa - Parker Penman Sapphire----- Luoshi - Silk Road Green

Twsbi - Noodler's North African Violet-----Lamy Vista - Noodler's Marine Green

WTB Lamy Terracotta and Savannah, Sweden LE, Japan LE

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/BrownEyedGirl248/Avatars/InkDrop.jpgMember since 1-28-11

Democracy in action. I love that you wrote letters and yes, I have written letters too.

Pet peeve, people who don't vote and then complain about things. Vote and then tell them what you like and what you don't like.

I quite agree with you, if you don't vote then you shouldn't complain about things you could have effected.

Also I agree that people should write to their elected representatives more as it is THE way to let them know what their constituents are really wanting. Now I just have to get around to doing it myself...maybe I am a bit hypocritical.

The Pen Is Mightier than the sword.

Two years ago, I wrote a 7 page letter to a candidate for Colorado Governor. I outlined my opposition to his very public position regarding his support for the expansion of an Army base in southern Colorado. i wrote the letter before we moved from Oklahoma back to Colorado. 4 months after writing that letter, I received a telephone call from the candidate! He, somehow, found my cell-phone number from my twitter profile. We talked for about 35 minutes. He told me that he rarely responded to letters, personally, as most were simply form letters. But my letter was different. He could tell that I put time and effort into it and that it was a pleasure to read a hand-written letter. My letter did not change his mind, but it didn't really matter in the end. He ended up losing the primary election.

Don't underestimate the power of a hand-written letter.

Wow, now I wish I hadn't kept my letters so brief. I kept two of the letters to a page each and one of them was two pages. I kept reading that letters to elected people should be short and to the point. On reflection, that's probably to keep the aides from having to do too much work as they screen and tally the letters.

Who are the pen shops in your neighborhood? Find out or tell us where they are, at http://penshops.info/

Blog: http://splicer.com/

I've carried on a conversation with my state senator on a cause dear to my heart and it's amusing to get emails responding to my snail mail. BUT, I know his position, he's paying attention to this issue, and I've gotten to be friends with his local aide, so it's all good. :thumbup:

Hmm. I used my 149 as well, but that's more a function of the nib improving my hand to the point of near-legibility. :embarrassed_smile:

Wouldn't Noodler's #41 Brown be the perfect American ink to use for letters to American politicians? It was created by Nathan following and in direct response to the election of a U.S. Senator in Massachusets. Makes me want to ink up a Bexley with #41, pull out some Crane paper, and write a letter, preferably a long letter. I'll be waiting with my cell phone in hand for the reply (but maybe I'll give the phone number to speed it up)!

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

• 2 weeks later...

I actually got to the point where I'd written enough letters on my Crane's stationery, and saw the pile getting smaller, that I switched paper to something a little cheaper 8-) I've written the President, Governor, representatives and senators, and will soon be writing even a few school board members.

It's gratifying, although not quite as satisfying as protesting. It's a lot warmer though 8-)

I've used a few pens, but haven't paid much mind to which other than that they write well and are fairly broad, as cotton paper kinda needs that.

swduncan.com

recordingthoughts.com

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Two years ago, I wrote a 7 page letter to a candidate for Colorado Governor. I outlined my opposition to his very public position regarding his support for the expansion of an Army base in southern Colorado. i wrote the letter before we moved from Oklahoma back to Colorado. 4 months after writing that letter, I received a telephone call from the candidate! He, somehow, found my cell-phone number from my twitter profile. We talked for about 35 minutes. He told me that he rarely responded to letters, personally, as most were simply form letters. But my letter was different. He could tell that I put time and effort into it and that it was a pleasure to read a hand-written letter. My letter did not change his mind, but it didn't really matter in the end. He ended up losing the primary election.

Don't underestimate the power of a hand-written letter.

That's interesting. Maybe I need to write with the real thing to get anything other than a form letter emailed back. It is SO annoying. Like whatever you say goes right past them. Plus you can never go to meet and greets or forums, because they are always during the day when you are working. ONE time, I got a townhall call. That was nice, but it has only happened once, but at least that one time I actually got to talk to (or at least ask a direct question of) a representative. It wasn't ideal, but I got heard. I'll have to try hand written letters. Maybe it makes more impact.

Pearl's Blog: A Journey in Patience: Feline DIabetes

Feline Diabetes is a treatable condition.

<a href="http://www.felinediabetes.com" target="_blank">http://www.felinediabetes.com</a>

I write regularly to my state and federal representatives and senators, typically about once each per month. Due to my terrible penmanship, I type these letters. They are also rarely less than two pages and more often three or four in length. They are always signed with the fountain pen, John Hancock style.

I also attend as many town halls as possible to speak directly to the officeholder and fellow constituents. It's one thing to read things in the newspaper or hear a sound bite on television. It is quite another to hear it first-hand.

Novelist, Pilot

My Blog

My Website

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I write regularly to my state and federal representatives and senators, typically about once each per month. Due to my terrible penmanship, I type these letters. They are also rarely less than two pages and more often three or four in length. They are always signed with the fountain pen, John Hancock style.

I also attend as many town halls as possible to speak directly to the officeholder and fellow constituents. It's one thing to read things in the newspaper or hear a sound bite on television. It is quite another to hear it first-hand.

The townhalls here are *always* during a weekday. It irritates me no end because it's a no wonder mostly retired folk show up. I mean, other people should be able to go. I don't understand why some can't be on say a Saturday afternoon.

Pearl's Blog: A Journey in Patience: Feline DIabetes

Feline Diabetes is a treatable condition.

<a href="http://www.felinediabetes.com" target="_blank">http://www.felinediabetes.com</a>

I suspect some is timing to suit the local news, which wants stories in before dinner time news and has lower ratings on the weekend. I ran into this when trying to publicize a story for my congregation and was basically told what days and what deadline if I wanted print coverage. TV was basically out unless I had a major controversy as the largest Christian denominations have it sewn up due to their sponsorship of Sunday morning programs. :gaah:

I wrote emails to my various representatives just recently, and agree that it definitely makes one feel good about participating in democracy. But letters are a much better idea, I can't believe that didn't occur to me! Next time I am going to do so, and as to what fountain pen to use, for me it will be a vintage sheaffer.

But yeah, I was pretty excited to write these first emails to my representatives. I feel like I've really gotten a good lesson on the importance of citizen participation very early in my voting career, and have to agree that letter-writing is warmer than protesting :D.

Currently using: pelikan 320 + sheaffer balance

Also more educational for your congressperson. There's nothing more warming than being contacted to meet with them or an aide so they can learn more.

Most are doing the absolute best they can to serve their constituents. Especially the newcomers who have a near vertical learning curve. :thumbup:

Wow, now I wish I hadn't kept my letters so brief. I kept two of the letters to a page each and one of them was two pages. I kept reading that letters to elected people should be short and to the point. On reflection, that's probably to keep the aides from having to do too much work as they screen and tally the letters.

If you're writing to say you're for or against something and that's it, keep it short. If you've got a personal story to relate about how the issue in question affects you, then tell the story. Spending pages ranting about things or speculating on the honesty or integrity of anyone is probably wasted though 8-)

I have a few links on my blog post about contacting legislators that provide a little insight on what is effective. The TED talk video provides a nice, simple way of structuring the letter, where the Congressional Management Foundation study provides feedback from the legislators.

swduncan.com

recordingthoughts.com

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

A handwritten letter is rare enough these days to warrant a bit more attention in most situations. When I want to increase my chances of having my words read carefully I send them in a unique envelope with the most beautiful handwriting I can execute. It seems to do the trick in most cases.

And yes, in this world of sound bites and tweets keeping things concise seems to be VERY important, but then if it's a brief note there's less chance of messing up with typos, smudged ink, etc. wink.gif

I feel a lot more like I did before than I do now.

Over here, most of the honorable recipients of such letters, give the impression that they are still busy mastering the alphabet. I therefore do not have excessively high expectations. Its still a nice pen and ink exercise though :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

In the last few months I've taken to penning a note every month to my favorite state legislator who I've known for several years. My notes are written on Crane folded cards so they are short and to the point, and usually contain a personal reference (to make it more likely to get past the staff screener). This thread has inspired me to extend my correspondence to all three of my legislative representatives.

Very much appreciated the TED video. Not only was it an excellent presentation, but it was by a mayor of a nearby town, Omar Ohmed, who recently died prematurely and is greatly missed.

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." -Mark Twain, Following The Equator

I write our Congressman on laid paper regularly. He always writes back: "I do not agree with your position because blah, blah, blah."

My writing is an exercise in futility, it seems. A waste of fine paper and 44 cents.

first fountain pen: student Sheaffer, 1956

next fountain pen: Montblanc 146 circa 1990

favourite ink: Noodler's Zhivago

favourite pen: Waterman No. 12

most beautiful pen: Conway Stewart 84 red with gold veins, oh goodness gracious

• 4 weeks later...

I almost always use BSB when writing my elected officials. I feel that it pops off of the ultra-white cotton enough that they cannot help but be drawn to what it says :ltcapd:

Now if only Noodler's would make a refillable dry-erase marker, I would buy a lifetime supply....